Author Topic: Ignore Function  (Read 18866 times)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
Re: Ignore Function
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2011, 03:13:53 AM »
I'll use this thread to make it official that I will not be activating the Ignore Poster feature.  After much discussion, it was determined to be more of a liability than an asset to the forum.  Too many temptations to be misused.  We have enough  problems with posters getting snippy with each other in PMs without adding the ability to snipe that "I've ignored you" or public lists of people that are/should be ignored.   You all will just have to work that mental ignore feature in your minds when someone posts that rubs you the wrong way just like in real life.

Thank you! I had been dreading the arrival of the ignore feature for precisely the reasons you listed here, so I'm so relieved to hear it won't happen :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Glaceon

• Pokemon Trainer
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2011, 10:07:08 AM »
I can appreciate the reasons for not implementing it and as convenient as I would find it on occasion I can conduct myself appropriately without it.  Thank you for the official word.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2011, 10:41:49 AM »
I'll use this thread to make it official that I will not be activating the Ignore Poster feature.  After much discussion, it was determined to be more of a liability than an asset to the forum.  Too many temptations to be misused.  We have enough  problems with posters getting snippy with each other in PMs without adding the ability to snipe that "I've ignored you" or public lists of people that are/should be ignored.   You all will just have to work that mental ignore feature in your minds when someone posts that rubs you the wrong way just like in real life.

Thank you! I had been dreading the arrival of the ignore feature for precisely the reasons you listed here, so I'm so relieved to hear it won't happen :)
Boards that have ignore features usually forbid such sniping, and posting lists of people who should be ignored gets the member a temporary or even a permanent ban.

But hey, your forum, your rules.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2011, 01:40:51 PM »
Although I was a big proponent of the ignore feature when it was first brought up for discussion, I now feel that although itís a good idea in theory, in reality, there would just be too many problems associated with it for it to be a good thing.

So yes, just ignore those that irk you. However, I would like to see this respected by everyone on the forum and not have people getting called out for ignoring posters on here.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2011, 01:44:12 PM »
I've been doing the mental ignore on a few posters since I joined, mostly for style more than content.  And since I'm somewhat technophobic, I probably couldn't have figured out how to use the ignore function anyway.   :D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2011, 04:09:33 PM »

I am sorry to hear this. We had this feature on the old forum, and I considered it to be a huge plus. Other boards I frequent use it as well. It really does cut down on fights as you simply ignore the posters you don't interact well with.

I am not sure why people think that having the ability to ignore means that people make the information on who they are ignoring public.

Miss March

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2011, 07:48:03 PM »
I am also disappointed to hear this.

Yes, I can choose to mentally ignore a poster. I can make the choice not read that person's threads and I can make the choice not to respond to any of their comments on other threads. I can choose to leave the user alone and never cause them a moment's bother. But I can not make that user leave me alone. They may still read my threads and they may still comment on my posts. Having an ignore feature would mean that I could start creating threads again, sharing my personal dilemmas and asking for advice, and feeling safe in the knowledge that someone I consider mean spirited would not join the thread and launch a series of linguistic volleys meant to insult me or cause "durm und strang" within the thread. I feel that the ignore feature could be used in a mature, cordial fashion- without malice- and I wish Ehell would offer it.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

One Goat to Rule Them All

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2011, 08:56:29 PM »

Yes, I can choose to mentally ignore a poster. I can make the choice not read that person's threads and I can make the choice not to respond to any of their comments on other threads. I can choose to leave the user alone and never cause them a moment's bother. But I can not make that user leave me alone. They may still read my threads and they may still comment on my posts. Having an ignore feature would mean that I could start creating threads again, sharing my personal dilemmas and asking for advice, and feeling safe in the knowledge that someone I consider mean spirited would not join the thread and launch a series of linguistic volleys meant to insult me or cause "durm und strang" within the thread. I feel that the ignore feature could be used in a mature, cordial fashion- without malice- and I wish Ehell would offer it.

But if you put someone on "ignore" they would still be able to see your posts and your threads. It doesn't go both ways- you can't see their posts but they can still see yours. Unless they also put you on ignore.

If someone is following you around ehell picking on you, you should consider PMing a mod about it. If it's a repeated behaviour and you can point to numerous examples I'm sure they would take action!

Miss March

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2011, 10:27:50 AM »
I am not being harassed. I am just trying to illustrate a point. The Mods are asking us to ignore a user we have an issue with. And I agree that it is easy enough to make the choice to not read the user's posts. This does not solve the problem of that same user still responding to our threads and our posts. There was a time when I would log in to Ehell and click on "Show unread posts," and quite a few interesting new threads came up. These days, there seem to be only small handful of new threads being posted and most tend to be in the "Need a hug" or "Coffee Talk" folders. People seem less inclined to post about personal issues in the main folders. I think this ties in with complaints that many of the forum have been making about their posts being picked apart, someone twisting words, someone being rude and then the person who responds to the rudeness gets scolded, etc.

I really thought that the way the "Ignore" feature was described back in the original thread asking our opinions of having it on this forum said that it would be similar to Facebook, where if you block someone, they can no longer see your posts and you can not see theirs. I thought it sounded like a good feature for this board.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2011, 10:32:08 AM »
There was a time when I would log in to Ehell and click on "Show unread posts," and quite a few interesting new threads came up. These days, there seem to be only small handful of new threads being posted and most tend to be in the "Need a hug" or "Coffee Talk" folders.

This is a bug. Some days I log into eHell and it tells me there are "no recent unread topics" or something. It'll give me an option to go to "all unread topics" and there'll be a ton of new posts, or I can also see the new posts by going to the folders themselves. There isn't a dearth of posts as far as I can tell--there's a glitch in the board.

MaggieB

« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2011, 11:33:36 AM »
I really thought that the way the "Ignore" feature was described back in the original thread asking our opinions of having it on this forum said that it would be similar to Facebook, where if you block someone, they can no longer see your posts and you can not see theirs. I thought it sounded like a good feature for this board.

I think this was speculation (or wishful thinking  ;)) on the part of some members when the ignore function was first announced.  I experimented with it when it was briefly available, and it definitely didn't hide when someone was around or posting in a thread.  If someone you were ignoring posted, you would see a post from them that said "You are ignoring this user.  Click here to read reply." (Or something similar to that.) 

For me, I would probably still read the reply, but it was a signal to slow down and realize that this was a poster I would likely disagree with and to not get too invested in their answer.  I can do the same thing without the ignore function by just paying attention to who is posting.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »

But if you put someone on "ignore" they would still be able to see your posts and your threads. It doesn't go both ways- you can't see their posts but they can still see yours. Unless they also put you on ignore.

If someone is following you around ehell picking on you, you should consider PMing a mod about it. If it's a repeated behaviour and you can point to numerous examples I'm sure they would take action!

That's why it wouldn't make any difference to me.  If I want to ignore someone, I'll just do it "manually".

Spoder

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2011, 12:08:01 AM »

That's why it wouldn't make any difference to me.  If I want to ignore someone, I'll just do it "manually".

I totally agree. That's why I never wanted it in the first place, and I'm glad it's not being implemented.

Breezygirl

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2011, 12:31:20 AM »
I'm also sorry to hear that we will not be getting the ignore feature. It makes forums so much more enjoyable.
Someday, somehow, somewhere.....

Spoder

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2011, 12:39:37 AM »
I'm also sorry to hear that we will not be getting the ignore feature. It makes forums so much more enjoyable.

How, though? If you want to ignore someone, can't you just do so - by not reading the text of their post when you see their name? Or, if you read it by accident, can't you (general) mentally discipline yourself to move on and resist the urge to retaliate (which is kind of an etiquette skill in itself)?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, this topic has been thrown around before and I still don't understand what the feature achieves.