Author Topic: Ignore Function  (Read 18392 times)

KimberlyRose

Re: Ignore Function
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2011, 01:42:02 AM »
I'm also sorry to hear that we will not be getting the ignore feature. It makes forums so much more enjoyable.

How, though? If you want to ignore someone, can't you just do so - by not reading the text of their post when you see their name? Or, if you read it by accident, can't you (general) mentally discipline yourself to move on and resist the urge to retaliate (which is kind of an etiquette skill in itself)?

It's just easier, in my opinion.

Amava

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2011, 06:48:53 AM »
My morbid curiosity forbids me to use the ignore function on any forum I attend.  ;D

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2011, 09:28:27 AM »
It's easier to use an automated feature, sure.  It's more useful for members to exercise their mental discipline.   Learning to disregard irritations and irritating people is an excellent skill, and comes in handy in real life as well as in the forum.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2011, 12:53:36 PM »
Having a Coke is my best Ignore feature.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2011, 12:58:37 PM »
I'm also sorry to hear that we will not be getting the ignore feature. It makes forums so much more enjoyable.

How, though? If you want to ignore someone, can't you just do so - by not reading the text of their post when you see their name? Or, if you read it by accident, can't you (general) mentally discipline yourself to move on and resist the urge to retaliate (which is kind of an etiquette skill in itself)?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, this topic has been thrown around before and I still don't understand what the feature achieves.

I'll try to explain my view on it, at least, for the one poster I'd put on ignore.  These days, if I do see this poster, 99% of the time, there's nothing wrong with what she says.  Our past interactions have left me really not liking her, and she also has something in her signature that really bugs me and gets me all riled up.  It's totally within forum rules, it just really irritates me.  A lot.  I see her signature and my blood pressure goes up, like some kind of strange Pavlovian reaction :P  Yes, it's kind of silly.  I love looking at avatars and signatures otherwise, so I really don't want to turn them off.  Being able to hide her seemed like a good solution, but I can continue to live with it as I have up until this point.  I don't see her often enough to be concerned about my heart health ;)

ETA:  There are actual posters that I don't always agree with, and who strike me as being unreasonable and argumentative (I probably give them the exact same impression), but I have no issue just seeing them around the forum and either quietly ignoring or engaging in discussion.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2011, 01:50:56 PM »
^ It's like you read my mind.  Like you, there is one poster I'd like to put on ignore too.  If only they have a picture or signature, then I can just scroll past their posts.  However, they don't have any unique features and I don't usually notice User Names.  Usually I'm happily reading and then a post get me all upset and I look at the name and go "ah, that's why."  So I am a bit disappointed we will not get an ignore button.

There are a few posters that I skip because their writing style or personality doesn't mesh with my mine and I can still deal (I'm sure I annoy a few others too), but there is always that one person that just go too far and all your buttons get pushed.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2011, 03:08:57 PM »
I've experienced that, too. I know it's up to us to be the strong person and ignore these forum bullies, but it's hard to when their posts are right there in front of your face to read.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2011, 03:30:10 PM »
When I'm reading on my iPhone, and enlarge the posts to a readable size, the info on the left is cut off - I can't see the poster's name, avatar or motto.
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).