Author Topic: Funny Thing That Teachers Said ...  (Read 1579 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Funny Thing That Teachers Said ...
« on: October 16, 2011, 07:44:11 PM »
...and you remember. 

In a Grammar  School English class the teacher said something I'll never forget.

"Please remember that, 'All right' is quite right and 'Quite right' is all right but 'Quite all right' is all quite wrong".

Does anyone else have fun things like this to offer?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Funny Thing That Teachers Said ...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 08:13:09 PM »
I had a teacher my sr year of high school who was frequently voted as the most popular teacher because he was very cool and very nice.  Being Native American, he taught Native American culture which was usually a "bird course" (cause you could fly through it) but I took it cause I was actually interested in the subject.

Well since some people just took it as a "bird course" they tended to be rude and not pay attention, and when they would be rude, Mr. Smith would stand up in front of the room, close his eyes and count to 10.   When he got to 10 he opened his eyes and would say "Still there.." then close his eyes and count to 10 again.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Cuddlepie

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 09:35:02 PM »
Well since some people just took it as a "bird course" they tended to be rude and not pay attention, and when they would be rude, Mr. Smith would stand up in front of the room, close his eyes and count to 10.   When he got to 10 he opened his eyes and would say "Still there.." then close his eyes and count to 10 again.

Couldn't stop giggling at this  ;D

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 12:19:46 PM »
I had a French teacher who liked to remind the lazy pronouncers that you have to put the emPHAsis on the right sylLAble.  I loved it, but sadly, most of them kept on mangling their French vocabulary beyond recognition. 

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 12:21:09 PM »
My HS choir teacher said the same thing! 
Except I think he said "you're putting the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLAble." 
eh, same difference.
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 04:29:14 PM »
When I was in the 10th grade, I sat in the first row of English class.  I'm a terrible fidget and that day, I had my legs crossed and lightly swinging my foot.  As my teacher walked by, I brushed his pant leg with my shoe.  Horrified, I said, "Oh, I'm sorry!"

"No," he said.  "That's Sari," and pointed to a classmate.

The whole class cracked up. 

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 10:40:05 PM »
I had some great teachers in high school, Mr MacDonald, my social studies teacher in grade 12, really stands out though.

He used to have a funny habit of writing funny things his students said on the walls of his classroom, I'm up there a couple times.  His late policy was cool too, you just had to have an excuse.  It didn't have to be true, or even possible, you just had to tell him something.  I told him I broke my leg coming up the stairs but I'm ok now...I was planting trees for Greenpeace, I was the only witness to a 14-car pileup, and my personal favourite, "The bell rang before I got here."

He asked the class something one day, I forget what, and picked a student, my friend Scott, to answer.  Scott took a couple guesses but Mr Mac just kept shaking his head and hinting at the right answer until Scotty, frustrated, cried, "Throw me a freakin' bone here!" Mr Mac replied, "I did!  You threw it back!"

I had an English teacher who used to say, "I before E except after C, we live in a weird society."
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 01:51:32 PM »
We had a teacher who made us say a password to get into class.  It was along the lines of supercalifragilisticexpialidocious but I think she made it up:

Zumazumasomazimzobamboo.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 05:31:54 PM »
Our football coach had a thing for us girls. Not a nasty or "romantic" thing, he just liked girls better than boys. He was also the girl's track coach and often the track team and the football team would be practicing at the same time. Meaning sittuations like this happened:

*at boys* "Alright you pathetic little b*stards! Move your legs! I'm ashamed to admit to any of you!"
*at girls* Ladies! You're doing very well, pick up the pace, good girls.
*boys* I said move it!
*girls* Don't worry about stumbling Melissa, you'll do better next lap.
*boys* Seriously. Ashamed. I should buy you all tutus and start teaching ballet! (Which was actually kinda funny considering one of the football players DID ballet. From what i hear he didn't do ballet well, but he enjoyed it.)
*girls* Kimmie, try to jump a little higher when you do the hurdles. There's a pet. (<<<His favorite phrase. Not sure where it came from.)

Strangely, Coach was beloved equally by boys and girls. He was just likeable.

He also was in charge of the parenting classes and one s*e*x ed class. Which led to him sitting down the girls and ranting/lecturing us. (paraphrased)

"Premarital relations are not a good thing. S*e*x is gonna be so much better when you are with the man... or woman...(with a glance at one of the other girls) you are meant to spend your life with. When you are with your soul mate s*e*x becomes a beautiful thing, a holy and powerful thing! But for now its a disgusting act of hormones that will do you no good. Now i know you girls may lose your battle with your... hormones. And I know some of you will be seduced by some nasty boy into doing something you shouldn't. There's a basket of rubbers in my office, you girls can just pop in there and grab one if you need it. And you SHOULD use it. Because those nasty boys who tell you "If you loved me you wouldn't want to use that" (said in a "whiney" voice) don't give a fig about you! They want one thing and they don't care if you end up a mother or worse! Please girls, protect yourselves!"All said while he was beet red and trying to avoid our eyes.

For the record, many parents threw a fit over this, but at the time a lot of us were so grateful to him for his rant and "providing" the protection. The local drug store owner would NOT sell rubbers to teens, and our other s*e*x ed teacher didn't even mention birth control.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Bluenomi

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »
I had a maths teacher who whenever we spotted a mistake in what he had written on the board would declare 'I did that on purpose to see if any of you would notice'  ;D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 06:21:05 PM »
My high school was originally built in 1929, so when they renovated it my junior year they went back to the "original" color scheme.  People in the 20's must have had no taste, because the original color scheme involved painting all the rooms either mint green, teal, or pepto-bismol pink.  Our history room was one of the unfortunate ones to end up pink.

The very first day we had class after they repainted, someone asked my teacher how he liked it and he said "It's like teaching inside a giant stomach."  One of the guys was teasing him about how he obviously drew the short straw (to get the ugliest color) and my teacher shut him down with "Hey!  It takes a man who is very comfortable with his masculinity to admit that he's teaching in a pink room."

I absolutely loved that teacher.  I hated history until that year, and he was the first one to demonstrate that it wasn't just dates and numbers - geography and economics and politics and religion and pop culture all flow together to form what we remember as history.  And things happening in one part of the globe can actually affect things happening in other parts of the globe - US history and world history are not in parallel universes!