Author Topic: Hypothetical/advice column folder  (Read 2276 times)

penelope2017

Hypothetical/advice column folder
« on: October 17, 2011, 12:01:10 AM »
I don't know about anyone else, but I feel differently about threads that are about "hypothetical" situations or advice columns excerpts. i.e. situations that the OP is posting but has no personal investment in. Is there anyway we can have such a folder for those types of "discussion topics" that aren't actually about someone seeking advice for their own situation?

I guess I personally feel less invested in reading/giving advice in such situations, as I'm sure everyone makes decisions about their threads and what they choose to contribute to. It would be nice if they were spun out for people to choose to read that folder and know that was what it was about.

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
Re: Hypothetical/advice column folder
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 12:33:53 AM »
This was discussed once before here http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=101988.0

I find with the hypothetical threads, that none of the questions about the original story get satisfactorily answered (because they didn't happen) so I tend to stay away from them myself.

Allyson

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 02:10:11 AM »
I don't mind the hypotheticals--this is about discussing etiquette, not just giving advice to other posters, so a thread where people can discuss intricacies of etiquette or situations that might occur seems fine to me. Nor do I really see the need to separate hypothetical situations--it can be annoying to some posters, but there are lots of threads or trends that don't interest me--it's usually pretty easy to ignore.
\

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 02:45:14 PM »
Sometimes hypothetical situations turn out to be real.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 02:50:52 PM »
Sometimes hypothetical situations turn out to be real.

True, and there are also hypotheticals that are hypothetical when posted but do pertain to a real situation that could arise. You know the ones: "If my MIL does such-and-such PA thing that I think she might do, how should I respond?"