Author Topic: Decorating Urban Legends.  (Read 2444 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Decorating Urban Legends.
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:27:03 AM »
The thread on holiday decorations reminded me of a persistent local legend.  We call it, 'The Snowmen That Wpuldn't Die'.

According to the story, a few neighborhoods away is a house with eternal plastic snowmen.

At Christmas, they're in their usual place with Santa and the rest.

In February, they carry Valentine hearts.

In March, the theme is St. Patrick's Day.  The eternal snowmen carry shamrocks and sport green ribbons.

At Easter, bunny ears are added and, in some variations, baskets of plastic eggs.

From Memorial Day (late May) to Labor Day (the first Monday in September) the patriotic snowmen sport American flags or red, white and blue ribbons.

They wear masks for Halloweeen and pilgrim hats for Thanksgiving. 

Then it's back to their traditional Christmas role. 

Are there any holiday decorating legends where you live?

jmarvellous

Re: Decorating Urban Legends.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 03:55:36 PM »
This isn't legend, but legendary -- and 100% odd. In my area, it's common to have painted wooden cutouts of holiday figures in your yard for major holidays (primarily Christmas but also Halloween, Easter, even Thanksgiving and July 4). My next door neighbor has ... a custom made figure of Santa bending over into a chimney, with his pants drooping and a bit of you-can-guess-what showing, as said neighbor was notorious for working in his yard in droopy pants himself. It's been on his roof every Christmas for about 20 years!

I'm a bit confused. Do the holiday snowmen actually exist?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 05:23:03 PM »
We don't know but we doubt that they do exist. 

The idea of the 'eternal snowmen' is that they never leave the yard.  They just change their dress depending on the Holiday.  Whenever you walk by the house you will see them. 

Wooden cut-outs are a different thing.  My Dad knew a man who had received a jig-saw as a gift and went crazy with it.  We saw how the display expanded  over the years.  Every Christmas, the manger scene had more sheep and more shepherds.  the guy even managed to provide the Magi with a few more camels then they needed.   

Every year, Santa's sleigh had more reindeer.  When the reindeer count reached two dozen, we stopped counting. 

Every year, the Easter display included more bunnies and more big, colorful Easter eggs. 

We wondered when it would all end.

Every Easter had a few more large ply-wood bunnies with large ply-wood eggs. 

jmarvellous

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 05:25:58 PM »
Ha! I wouldn't put it past people to put out snowmen 365 days a year.

We had a family in the neighborhood who did white penguin cutouts. Every year there were more penguins doing things ever more distantly related to actual Christmassy stuff (it started with a penguin nativity, then a penguin choir, then penguin Santa, then maybe penguins skiing ...). Luckily it was all cute!

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 05:57:05 PM »
There is a house in my neighborhood that is decorated way over the top for Christmas every year for as long as I can remember. I mean, people drive in from neighboring towns to see it, and it's been featured in the local paper a few times over the year. The Griswold's got nothin' on them...

About 11 or 12 years ago I befriended a woman at work and as it turns out, it's her house! I've told her how much I love driving by and seeing it, so now she will email me and tell me to take a  different route through the neighborhood once her husband gets started. She will email me a few days later and tell me when it's "safe" to come by, so I see the full effect. Sometimes I will even offer my thoughts if I see something that doesn't look quite right!

Funny story-one year, among all the other decorations, the had three large, light up candle decorations. The problem was that they looked just like three *ahem* male appendages. We will never forget the Christmas of "The Gift of the Peni."

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 08:00:51 PM »
There is a house in my neighborhood that has an artificial crow (or possibly raven) mounted on top of the mailbox. Said bird is always present and dressed appropriately for whatever holiday, season and/or weather is current.

There is also a house near us in which a retired couple apparently are searching for a hobby (or possibly surrogate children?) They have decorated their front yard with one of every kind of plaster, plastic, resin, and concrete item known to humankind and a couple I think they invented. They are good to go for whatever holiday happens to be coming along the calendar.

And my DXH decorates his house in time for Christmas by the simple expedient of never undecorating it. His two Christmas trees have been present and fully dressed since he first moved in; I believe this will be his 6th or 7th Christmas in the house.

And when DS moved in with him earlier this summer, he took HIS Christmas tree and stuff with him. I'm wondering where they'll put the third Christmas tree.

Speaking of decorating urban legends, did anyone see the "Cake Wars" episode on Food Network the other night, where the bakers had to create an extreme cake based on an urban legend? I'll never view cake making in quite the same light again.
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 08:40:19 PM »
This wasn't a legend, it actually happened, but will likely never be repeated.

A woman I am acquainted with bought a set of personalized Christmas lawn decorations made by a local craftsman.  They would have been very cute had my friend had nearly any other last name.  Unfortunately, the decorations didn't come across quite right.

The folding Christmas card said "Merry Christmas From The Whites"

The cutout tree with a swag said "The Whites Wish You Happy Holidays"

And the Santa Claus had a long unrolling "list" that read "Santa Can't Wait To Visit The Whites"

By the time we saw them, the couple had figured out what all their neighbors and friends were giggling about and had a good sense of humor about it, saying, "When the guy showed us his portfolio, they all had names like 'The Millers' and 'The Smiths' and they looked so cute.  We never thought about what it would look like with our name."  That said, the decorations didn't make an appearance in the following years.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 09:00:54 PM »
My parents' neighborhood has the Penguin House.  16 gigantic inflatable penguins (6ft+) arranged around their yard!

Pinky830

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 09:27:31 PM »
We visited my BIL and SIL at her parents' house the Saturday after Thanksgiving one year. When BIL gave us directions, he said deadpan, "Look for the inflatables in the yard. You can't miss it."

He wasn't kidding. There were 10 or 12 gigantic Christmas inflatables in the front yard. It looked like a Christmas carnival. My kids thought it was the greatest ever. And I must say, it wasn't tacky-it was very cute. They were nice-looking and the yard was very large. I assume they had just gone up the day before, too.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 09:52:54 PM »
There is one family in our neighbrohood and one in our son's neighborhood who only power the inflatables when they are home, so most of the time when we drive by either house, they look like bunches of rags in the yards.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 10:37:05 PM »
There is one family in our neighbrohood and one in our son's neighborhood who only power the inflatables when they are home, so most of the time when we drive by either house, they look like bunches of rags in the yards.

That's my main problem with inflatables -- they look awful most of the time!  I like decorations that look good night and day.

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 01:21:02 AM »
Around where I live is a house that so overdecorates it is actually two houses and a lot between them that is decorated! They hand out candy canes for those who drive by and even will accept donations to help pay their electric bill. Those of us who love seeing this house year after year gladly give a buck or more to keep it running. This house has been featured in local news and national news. I was there bright eyed and bushy tailed the morning Al Roker from the Today show was there.

They do it for more than Christmas but I have yet to go by it any other time.

Okay, found some home video on youtube that shows it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixAcVF2ZaXY
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:28:15 AM by Doll Fiend »

Kaymyth

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 12:34:23 PM »
I must apologize, but the title of this thread is conjuring up a mental image of the Hook Man bedecked in tinsel and holding up a bright ornament dangling from his hook and sporting a jolly grin.

It's creepy.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 12:46:41 PM »
I must apologize, but the title of this thread is conjuring up a mental image of the Hook Man bedecked in tinsel and holding up a bright ornament dangling from his hook and sporting a jolly grin.

It's creepy.

Oh, my! Sandy Claws! And little Hook Elves, and undead reindeer! ;D

If only I had a house... I don't think I can put that on my apartment balcony.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 12:46:57 PM »
Around here, people do concrete geese, who wear outfits appropriate to the season. Call me a sucker, but I totally want one now that we have a front porch!