Author Topic: Decorating Urban Legends.  (Read 2546 times)

frogonmytoe

Re: Decorating Urban Legends.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 12:55:29 PM »
Our biggest that I know if in northern NJ is the Elvis house in Mahwah. http://www.williammaloney.com/Misc/Christmas/2004/ElvisHouseInMahwah/ElvisHouse.htm

The urban legend is that the owner is an elvis impersonator. The decorations are quite real, I've been there a few times, and incorporate a few nods to the king (like a TCB lightening bolt, and elvis and marilyn monroe on the roof)

Only I just googled it for a link to show you all, and I heard they stopped doing it :( 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 10:26:55 AM »
Here in Brooklyn, we have a neighborhood that's famous (or notorious) for its Christmas decorations. 
It's Dyker Heights and there's even a PBS documentary titled 'Dyker Lights'.

The residents spend thousands of dollars on professional decorations and, on a nice evening, the place is absolutely packed with families seeing the sights.  It's an absolute zoo.

Last year, Mr. Thipu helped hold back the crowds while one of the residents got her car out of the driveway.  'Boy!', he said, 'This must drive you nuts.'.
'Well, yes but it's only for a few weeks and it makes so many people happy.'

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 10:36:46 AM »
A house near my childhood home had one of those garage doors that's designed so that it's a bunch of little squares? A bit like this, except it was white, and must have had at least one more column for this to work.
http://www.artfactory.com/images/Garage-Door-1964GDJ.jpg

They used red and green electrical tape every December to make it into a giant calendar counting down to Christmas. When I was a kid it would just send my holiday anticipation through the roof, seeing that calendar appear one day and know Xmas was getting close!  ;D They would then X out each day as it happened, with tape.

I don't remember if the people who lived there eventually moved or passed away. But one year it was gone.  :(

As an aside, I found this garage door while I was searching. If I had this garage, I'd totally decorate it into the TARDIS.
http://chicagogaragedoor.webs.com/garage-door.jpg

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 01:07:59 AM »
Not specific holiday decorations, but one of the houses in our neighborhood has cement animals ALL OVER the lawn.  As in, I don't know how they actually mow, because the things are everywhere.  A partial list: rabbits, deer, bears, swans, ducks, hedgehogs, ladybugs, turtles, and as of last year, what looks like poorly-drawn cement dingoes.  (I'm really not sure what those are supposed to be, but I giggle every time I go past.)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 01:35:07 AM »
About a block from here is a small house built right against the sidewalk (no front yard at all) and every holiday they go all out decorating...a giant blow up pumpkin on their little roof, for example, and they decorate the entire front of the house and out along their fence that runs a few feet down the edge of the sidewalk. 
I'll bet they love doing it and people enjoy seeing it, but being apologetically lazy about doing things like that*, I always feel sorry for them having to dismantle everything when the holiday is over.   :-\

*I keep my tree decorated all year and just put it in a big plastic bag and store it, then take it out at Christmas time.  (See what I mean?)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:37:16 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 09:06:40 AM »
About a block from here is a small house built right against the sidewalk (no front yard at all) and every holiday they go all out decorating...a giant blow up pumpkin on their little roof, for example, and they decorate the entire front of the house and out along their fence that runs a few feet down the edge of the sidewalk. 
I'll bet they love doing it and people enjoy seeing it, but being apologetically lazy about doing things like that*, I always feel sorry for them having to dismantle everything when the holiday is over.   :-\

*I keep my tree decorated all year and just put it in a big plastic bag and store it, then take it out at Christmas time.  (See what I mean?)

I really hope you have an artificial tree.. ;D

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 09:47:13 AM »
There is one family in our neighborhood and one in our son's neighborhood who only power the inflatables when they are home, so most of the time when we drive by either house, they look like bunches of rags in the yards.
I think I've posted about this before, but a house near my mother's has "Santa the lush". Apparently, the inflatable has a leak, so Santa slowly gets floppier and less upright as the night wears on until he's fully passed out on the lawn by morning. So sad. :(
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 10:10:08 AM »
There is one family in our neighborhood and one in our son's neighborhood who only power the inflatables when they are home, so most of the time when we drive by either house, they look like bunches of rags in the yards.
I think I've posted about this before, but a house near my mother's has "Santa the lush". Apparently, the inflatable has a leak, so Santa slowly gets floppier and less upright as the night wears on until he's fully passed out on the lawn by morning. So sad. :(

;D

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 11:45:17 AM »
I used to live in a neighborhood where a yard had a GIANT pink flamingo. It was probably six feet tall and impressive. It also had a fine wardrobe.

Well the owners slowly added more flamingos. None of the cheap dollar store ones that break quickly, very nice retro ones and a few that seemed to be made of plaster. The new ones were set up in "dioramas" as in a few stationed by a water feature with fishing gear, two in the flowerbed with sun hats, etc.

The across the street neighbor-lady hated the flamingos and tried to get them taken away by calling in reports on "trash" in Flamingo House's yard.

Finally the woman was told that the flamingos were legal and there was no HOA of any sort so she would have to learn to live with them. A week later a new flamngo group of three bird with their rears pointed at the across the street house came along. Maybe it wasn't intentional, but my mom and I swore they were mooning neighbor-lady's house.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]