Author Topic: Good Cornbread Recipe?  (Read 1449 times)

Aggiesque

Good Cornbread Recipe?
« on: October 19, 2011, 01:05:17 PM »
Does anyone have a good cornbread recipe they would like to share?

I usually use Jiffy; I like theirs. So....that's what I'm used to, but I'd like to find a recipie since we eat the stuff so much in the winter. I do NOT have a cast iron pan to cook in, it needs to be able to cook in the oven please!
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

Judah

• California, U.S.A
Re: Good Cornbread Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 01:18:44 PM »
I cheat.  I use the Jiffy mix and add a can of creamed corn, bake as usual.  If you like spicy, add a chopped Jalepeno.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

buvezdevin

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 01:26:45 PM »
I love cornbread, and like various styles, including both the above.  One of my favorite recipes is a Bradley Ogden one, where there are two key items which produce really sinfully good cornbread though I only make it on special occasions.  First, separately beating the egg whites and folding into th batter makes an amazing difference in texture, and second, loads of cream.

Below is a link to someone else's riff on Ogden's recipe should you wish to give it a try.

http://baffl.co.uk/recipe_book/recipesfind.php?id=0106
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Lynnv

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 03:58:51 PM »
DH and I tend to like our cornbread more on the southern side (though not truly southern, since we like a bit of flour and a bit of sugar in it). 

Our recipe is based on Alton Brown's Creamed Corn Cornbread:
Ingredients
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 cup creamed corn
2 tablespoons canola oil

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.

In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk together to combine well.

In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and creamed corn, whisking together to combine thoroughly. Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture and stir to combine. If the batter will not pour, add more buttermilk to the batter.

Swirl the canola oil in the hot cast iron skillet. Pour the batter into the skillet. Bake until the cornbread is golden brown and springs back upon the touch, about 20 minutes.

***my modifications***
Substitute about 1/3 - 1/2 cup AP flour for the same amount of cornmeal
decrease baking soda and powder a tad (I am cooking at Denver altitude-but I don't worry about it too much)
add a little honey or molasses and about an extra TB of sugar

I often use bacon grease to oil the pan rather than canola.  Mmmm.  Bacon grease.
I sometimes add a little cheese or a little bacon or a little jalapeno or a little of each to the mix.
I don't always have buttermilk on hand, but find the buttermilk powder plus water does fine-though I decrease the water a tad.

I NEVER cook it in anything but a cast iron pan.  Ever. 

It does tend more towards the crumbly drier texture of a southern cornbread than the almost cakelike texture of a northern cornbread-but it is great for chili and soup.  Add butter and honey and I think DH could eat the entire pan by himself.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

SportsFan88

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 09:00:15 PM »

Well behaved women rarely make history ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
America is the land of opportunity, not entitlement.

magician5

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 08:01:48 AM »
This one makes a large pan 13x9 (did you know that's a "half pan" in standard restaurant talk?)

1 1/2 cups sugar (sometimes I use 1/4 cup less)
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1 cup milk (buttermilk if you have it)
1 cup water
2 cups white cornmeal (for less gritty) or yellow cornmeal (I use white) - I often use 1/2c less cornmeal and 1/2 cup more flour)
2 cups flour (see previous line)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

1 Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan with shortening (actually you can dispense with this).
2 Preheat oven to 375F.
3 Mix sugar, butter, eggs, milk, and water together in a large bowl.
4 Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl: cornmeal, flour,baking powder, and salt.
5 While stirring, add dry ingredients to sugar, egg, and milk mixture and mix thoroughly.
6 Mixture will be slightly lumpy.
7 Pour into pan.
8 Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
9 Serve with butter.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 11:42:56 AM »
Here's mine--it makes really moist cornbread.

http://kimcheecasserole.blogspot.com/2010/09/honey-pepper-cornbread.html

Recipe: Honey-Pepper Cornbread
1 stick (1/4 lb.) butter, melted
1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. honey
2 eggs
1 c. buttermilk
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. cornmeal
1 c. flour
1 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt

Grease a 8x8 cake pan or a muffin tin. Place in a preheated 375F oven and let it heat up while you prepare the batter.

Stir melted butter, sugar, and honey together. Add eggs; stir to combine. Add bbaking soda; stir to combine.

Add cornmeal, flour, pepper, and salt. Stir gently until all dry ingredients have been completely incorporated.

Take pan or muffin tin out of oven. Pour in batter (filling muffin tins 3/4 full.) Bake for 30-40 minutes or until completely cooked through. Let cool slightly before serving.

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 11:53:15 AM »
I use The Frugal Girl's recipe for sweet corn muffins.  I love them in the muffin tin because I'm an "edge" person, and making them into muffins means that every serving has that crispy edge on it.

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2011/01/wednesday-baking-sweet-cornbread-muffins/

Chip2

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 10:58:21 AM »
I use the recipe on the back of the round box.  (The one with the guy in the funny hat.)  I do modify it:  I use equal amounts of flour and cornmeal, add 1/4 cup of sugar, and use two eggs.  You can substitute buttermilk for the regular milk, but add a half-teaspoon of baking soda if you do.

Mikayla

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 12:08:06 PM »
You can "personalize" the Jiffy quite a bit.  One of my favorites is adding a small can of creamed corn and several T of sour cream to the basic recipe.  You do have to cook it a little longer, or else eat it with a fork!

Another option:  add bacon, shredded cheddar and scallions.

For southwestern, add some canned jalapenos and shredded monterey jack. 

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 06:41:44 AM »
A coworker gave me this recipe:

Start with a box of Jiffy, and add the following:
14 oz can of corn, drained
14 oz can creamed corn
1 C sour cream
1 stick of butter, melted
2 eggs

Mix well & spread in a greased 9x9 pan. It ALMOST overflows but not quite. Bake about 1 hour at 350*. It's not a crispy bread though, almost a bread pudding sort of texture. We love to pour chili over the top.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Chip2

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 09:42:59 AM »
I use the recipe on the back of the Quaker corn meal box, but I use equal parts flour and cornmeal, 2 eggs, and 1/4-1/2 cup of sugar.  It bakes up fine in a round cake pan, but check it at 20 minutes; the extra sugar can cause it to burn earlier than you'd expect.

Oh Joy

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 05:39:58 PM »
I've never sought out a good cornbread recipe (usually use Jiffy or whatever's on the back of the cormeal bag), but here's my tip: use an edge brownie pan if you have one.

Happy baking!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 06:38:13 PM »
My BF buys the cylindrical cardboard "cans" of corn meal, and uses the recipe from that to make the corn bread, but adds in some grated cheddar cheese and grated jalapeno. Then he bakes it in the oven in a cast iron pan.

YUM!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture