Author Topic: I can see this becoming an issue-help me be polite, its gonna be tough Pics #40  (Read 21704 times)

leftout

Re: I can see this becoming an issue - help me be polite, its gonna be tough
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 09:34:05 PM »
Knowing that this kid/family neglected the dog to within 1 week of death I never would've acknowledged that the dog had been his. 

I would not let him visit, pet, or otherwise engage the dog.  Why should anyone be allowed to renew contact when they starved and tortured a poor dog?  Keeping it in a small enclosure for years?  Seriously?  These people have lost the right to have anything to do with the dog.

I think it's admirable for the reasons previous posters have pointed out. It's possible the child has never seen loving care before and this could be an incredible teaching moment. People can learn, especially children, to change their ways. And it's best when done by example.

[As an example, an (adult) friend of mine had a chained-up backyard dog who she spent minimal time with. After hearing about and seeing the great time the rest of us had hanging out with our dogs, she decided to buy a leash and take her dog out on his first outing in the 7 years she'd had him. He loved it!]

Jaelle

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 09:37:37 PM »
Knowing that this kid/family neglected the dog to within 1 week of death I never would've acknowledged that the dog had been his. 

I would not let him visit, pet, or otherwise engage the dog.  Why should anyone be allowed to renew contact when they starved and tortured a poor dog?  Keeping it in a small enclosure for years?  Seriously?  These people have lost the right to have anything to do with the dog.

But I sincerely doubt that a 10-year-old boy (especially one who reacted to Rocky as you describe) had anything to do with "starving and torturing" a dog.  :-\

I think you're being very kind, OP. I originally thought I wouldn't let the kid have anything to do with him either ... but your description won me over. And I agree with others that, just perhaps, you could be showing this child how pet ownership is really done.
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 09:42:09 PM »
I think you've done everything flawlessly.  Taking the dog to the shelter, adopting him legally, having him microchipped. 

If the original owners ever contact you regarding the dog, I'd simply stress that you adopted him through the shelter and you have papers showing that he is legally yours.

The fact that the dog seemed reasonably happy to be petted by the boy indicates that HE at least was not mean to the dog, even though the parents may have been unbelievably neglectful.  I see that as a good sign and am glad, at least for now, that you're allowing the boy and dog to have a relationship.   I would not extend that to the parents though.

You have a good heart.  Rocky has found the right home.

yokozbornak

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 09:46:22 PM »
I would be worried that they would try to kidnap the dog (why, yes, I do watch too much Judge Judy!  ;)) which is why I probably wouldn't encourage the boy to come over.  People who will treat a dog like that would probably not let papers from the pound prevent them from taking the dog back if they had access to him.  Do you think he's safe?

LadyMisha

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 11:22:44 PM »
I'm sure it was hard walking the dog into the shelter, but you did good! You've had a practice run now with the child in explaining that yes, you've heard the dog used to belong to their family but that he was found as a stray, sick and emaciated, and that you adopted him, nursed him back to health, and he's now a part of your family. The same explanation can be used for the parents. And good work on the microchip and microchip registration in your name. With a known runner puppy, that could be key to any question over his ownership.

Oh, man, it was so hard walking him into the shelter.  I do want to share a sweet story on our boy while we were checking him in though.  We're filling out the adoption paperwork at the front desk and DH had Rocky on leash.  A man came in with his son who was very clearly developmentally delayed.  The son asked if he could pet Rocky.  We said yes, and Rocky - and I still don't know how he knew to do this at that point - sat down when the boy came over to him and simply looked up at him and I swear that dog smiled at the kid!  The son was absolutely thrilled and stroked Rocky's head and ears with Rocky grinning at him the entire time.  It brought tears to my eyes.  That, if nothing else, absolutely cemented that we wanted this dog as part of our family.  He's amazing!
Kids - the toughest job you'll ever love!

LadyMisha

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 11:30:15 PM »
I would be worried that they would try to kidnap the dog (why, yes, I do watch too much Judge Judy!  ;)) which is why I probably wouldn't encourage the boy to come over.  People who will treat a dog like that would probably not let papers from the pound prevent them from taking the dog back if they had access to him.  Do you think he's safe?

Annnnd you bopped that nail right on the head.  That was a thought that passed through my mind and then came back and stuck.  I don't think it is realistic that they would try it, but you just never know.  However, he is in our house (along with our other three - yeah, it's a zoo around here!) except for potty times, when he is on leash so there is really no window of opportunity for someone to dognap him. 

But, as I said before, I'm not going to bar the boy from Rocky.  He can't be held responsible for what his parents allowed to happen to Rocky.  Even if the boy was feeding him himself, there was no way Rocky could have gained any weight with all of the worms he had (and believe me, that took 3 treatments just for the whip/hook worms - he still has the heartworms).  Besides, I saw that child's face as he stroked Rocky.  He loved him.  I just can't do that to a kid. 
Kids - the toughest job you'll ever love!

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 12:37:55 AM »
I don't have any advice, but I wanted to say that I think you are awesome.

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 02:21:27 AM »

Steve

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 03:11:24 AM »
Sounds like you might be adding a stray boy to your stray dog. :)

I applaud you for allowing this boy to visit with the dog, you will be doing a lot more good than by caring for the dog alone.

Amava

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 06:34:36 AM »
I also want to point out that this kids only previous experience with animals may be through the poor example his parents have set.  By allowing the kid to visit, you may well be showing him an alternate, better way of treating a pet, and perhaps prevent him turning into an adult who mistreats animals further down the line.   

So I think it is definitely the right thing to do if possible (assuming he doesn't cause any issues).

Yes!!! I agree! To me, it's equally important that you are setting a good example of dog ownership to the child as it is that you are taking responsibility for this animal.

Yes, I agree as well.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 07:52:50 AM »

Yes, I think puppy pics are necessary in order for us to properly evaluate the squeeful adorableness of your new dog.  ;D

SiotehCat

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 08:01:09 AM »

But I sincerely doubt that a 10-year-old boy (especially one who reacted to Rocky as you describe) had anything to do with "starving and torturing" a dog.  :-\

I think you're being very kind, OP. I originally thought I wouldn't let the kid have anything to do with him either ... but your description won me over. And I agree with others that, just perhaps, you could be showing this child how pet ownership is really done.

I think a 10 yr old boy is old enough to know that dogs need food/water/shelter etc.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 08:35:43 AM »

I think a 10 yr old boy is old enough to know that dogs need food/water/shelter etc.
A 10yo boy is not able to provide those things for a dog w/o parental assistance.  Things like regular vet visits are also rather off the radar for a 10yo, especially as it sounds like the parents aren't thinking of vet bills as part of the expense of taking care of a dog. 

I'm rather reminded of my ex who was the one who insisted we get a dog--oldest son and I objected because we knew we'd be the ones doing all the work.  He kept harping on it being a "free dog" because he got it from a friend whose dogs had puppies (I also ended up being the only one who carted her to her vet appointments and had to beg for the money to pay for those visits from him.)  Of course, we also ended up with the dog and she's likely to have to go w/ oldest son when he moves out because she is more his dog than anyone else's.  Ex used to always get mad at us for keeping the dog in the house with us instead of tying her up in the yard, too.

I think the parents are less likely to bother about the dog since the child gets access .. in the mind of people like that, their child gets all the fun of a dog without any of the costs (or more worrisome, they may be the sort who just gets another to treat it the same way as the first).  At least this way, the boy will be able to see what pet ownership is supposed to look like.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 10:05:49 AM »
Oh, man, it was so hard walking him into the shelter.  I do want to share a sweet story on our boy while we were checking him in though.  We're filling out the adoption paperwork at the front desk and DH had Rocky on leash.  A man came in with his son who was very clearly developmentally delayed.  The son asked if he could pet Rocky.  We said yes, and Rocky - and I still don't know how he knew to do this at that point - sat down when the boy came over to him and simply looked up at him and I swear that dog smiled at the kid!  The son was absolutely thrilled and stroked Rocky's head and ears with Rocky grinning at him the entire time.  It brought tears to my eyes.  That, if nothing else, absolutely cemented that we wanted this dog as part of our family.  He's amazing!

Some dogs just have such an instinctive over and above response to humans.  I always find it so amazing that some dogs seem to know exactly what you are thinking.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »

Not if he's not been taught what's enough to keep an animal alive. And even if he does, what is he going to do? Drive to the store, and pull out his credit card to buy a new doghouse and plenty of puppy chow?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."