Author Topic: I can see this becoming an issue-help me be polite, its gonna be tough Pics #40  (Read 20063 times)

leftout

Re: I can see this becoming an issue - help me be polite, its gonna be tough
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2011, 12:08:45 PM »
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HAPPY PUPPY

im not yelling, im squealing, there is a minor difference lol

POD  ;)

LadyMisha

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2011, 12:40:14 PM »

HAPPY PUPPY

I'm right there with you :)  LOL...he snuggled down with me last night to sleep, big ol' lovebug :)
Kids - the toughest job you'll ever love!

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2011, 12:48:38 PM »

HAPPY PUPPY

I'm right there with you :)  LOL...he snuggled down with me last night to sleep, big ol' lovebug :)

Awwww you're a wonderful true Lady for taking this pup into your hearts. Bless You [said sincerely]

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »

HAPPY PUPPY

What she squeed!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.

And last but not least, happy and healthy and 25 lbs heavier, heading to the dog park on Easter Sunday!

*edited cause my links didn't work at first!

OhboyOhboyOhboyGoingtodaparkGoingtodaparkGoingtodapark!
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

camlan

• Super Hero!
Yes, that last picture pretty much says it all. "I'm in my car! I'm with my people! We're going out! I'm a Happy Dog!"
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Larrabee

Something about seeing a rescued dog looking completely delighted to be alive like that always brings a lump to my throat.  I'm such a softie, but I can barely get through a walk with mine without getting *ahem*somethinginmyeye.  ::)

SiotehCat

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2011, 04:27:48 PM »
Knowing that this kid/family neglected the dog to within 1 week of death I never would've acknowledged that the dog had been his. 

I would not let him visit, pet, or otherwise engage the dog.  Why should anyone be allowed to renew contact when they starved and tortured a poor dog?  Keeping it in a small enclosure for years?  Seriously?  These people have lost the right to have anything to do with the dog.

But I sincerely doubt that a 10-year-old boy (especially one who reacted to Rocky as you describe) had anything to do with "starving and torturing" a dog.  :-\

I think you're being very kind, OP. I originally thought I wouldn't let the kid have anything to do with him either ... but your description won me over. And I agree with others that, just perhaps, you could be showing this child how pet ownership is really done.

I think a 10 yr old boy is old enough to know that dogs need food/water/shelter etc.

Hold up, didn't you say that kids shouldn't do any chores in another thread? Surely that means that it's the parents fault by default?  ;)

I have to say that a kid may know the abstract of "dog needs food", but I'd like to see the kid that can pop down to Pets at Home and can both carry AND afford the amount of food a bull terrier breed gets through. My dog costs me about £50 a month in food, plus it takes a car trip because the bags of food are so damned heavy.

Oh, I absolutely think its the parents fault. My comment was in response to the comment about the kid not having anything to do with the "starving and torturing" of the dog.

At 10 yrs old, if he saw the dog suffer and did absolutely nothing to help him, then he did contribute to the starving of the dog.

I don't see how my post in the other thread is related.

DuBois

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2011, 04:40:11 PM »
Knowing that this kid/family neglected the dog to within 1 week of death I never would've acknowledged that the dog had been his. 

I would not let him visit, pet, or otherwise engage the dog.  Why should anyone be allowed to renew contact when they starved and tortured a poor dog?  Keeping it in a small enclosure for years?  Seriously?  These people have lost the right to have anything to do with the dog.

But I sincerely doubt that a 10-year-old boy (especially one who reacted to Rocky as you describe) had anything to do with "starving and torturing" a dog.  :-\

I think you're being very kind, OP. I originally thought I wouldn't let the kid have anything to do with him either ... but your description won me over. And I agree with others that, just perhaps, you could be showing this child how pet ownership is really done.

I think a 10 yr old boy is old enough to know that dogs need food/water/shelter etc.

Hold up, didn't you say that kids shouldn't do any chores in another thread? Surely that means that it's the parents fault by default?  ;)

I have to say that a kid may know the abstract of "dog needs food", but I'd like to see the kid that can pop down to Pets at Home and can both carry AND afford the amount of food a bull terrier breed gets through. My dog costs me about £50 a month in food, plus it takes a car trip because the bags of food are so damned heavy.

Oh, I absolutely think its the parents fault. My comment was in response to the comment about the kid not having anything to do with the "starving and torturing" of the dog.

At 10 yrs old, if he saw the dog suffer and did absolutely nothing to help him, then he did contribute to the starving of the dog.

What could he have done? Ten is too young to intervene in such a situation, and as Twik said, how would he buy the dog food. I am really sorry for this child.

SiotehCat

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2011, 04:45:55 PM »

What could he have done? Ten is too young to intervene in such a situation, and as Twik said, how would he buy the dog food. I am really sorry for this child.

He could talk to his teacher or his school counselor. He could tell them the situation and ask them what to do. Most likely, they would call animal control for him or give him animal controls number.

It might also be as simple as just feeding the dog. We don't know that they didn't have dog food in the house. Or he could have found acceptable people food that he could give them. If he doesn't know what acceptable people food he can give, then he can check the internet or the library.

Cuddlepie

thanks for putting up the photos.  Love the pic in the car;  Is Rocky saying, "they don't know it yet but I have them wrapped round my little tail/finger" ?

The look on his faces is adorable.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
A 10-year old is not likely to call animal control on his parents. It's hard enough to get kids to report their own abuse, because at that age, they have no experience of the world - they think whatever they've lived with is normal.

He may not even have enough "people food" to go around, let alone give his to the dog. People who abuse or neglect animals are often pretty abusive/neglectful to children as well.  I think you are vastly overestimating the abilities of a 10 year old to take independent steps to protect an animal, when he is not even old or large enough to protect himself.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

DuBois

« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2011, 04:54:38 PM »

He could talk to his teacher or his school counselor. He could tell them the situation and ask them what to do. Most likely, they would call animal control for him or give him animal controls number.

It might also be as simple as just feeding the dog. We don't know that they didn't have dog food in the house. Or he could have found acceptable people food that he could give them. If he doesn't know what acceptable people food he can give, then he can check the internet or the library.

It just isn't necessarily as simple as that. If he is under the thumb of his parents, he might not just be able to go to a counsellor or a teacher. Kids who are being harmed themselves do not do these things, toxic family situations are not just solved by asking the authorities.

ETA. Twik said the same thing I meant, only better.

MrsO

• Super Hero!
There is no way on earth that a ten year old should be held responsible for this. That's completely unfair.

The Wild One, Forever

A 10-year old is not likely to call animal control on his parents. It's hard enough to get kids to report their own abuse, because at that age, they have no experience of the world - they think whatever they've lived with is normal.

He may not even have enough "people food" to go around, let alone give his to the dog. People who abuse or neglect animals are often pretty abusive/neglectful to children as well.  I think you are vastly overestimating the abilities of a 10 year old to take independent steps to protect an animal, when he is not even old or large enough to protect himself.

ITA.  This is an assumption on my part, but my best guess is that this poor kid has all he can do to make it through his own life, trying to take care of his needs.  Sadly, I have known people in my life who are negligent towards their animals, and it tends to extend to the kids, as well. 

OP, I love it that you are allowing this little boy contact with a dog he obviously loved, and are showing him a better way.  You are a good human being.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical