Author Topic: Your "cool" moments  (Read 4609 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Your "cool" moments
« on: October 21, 2011, 05:34:26 PM »
Ever had a moment when the stars lined up, the universe aligned and - just for one moment - you were cool?
What were yours?

I had one of those this week.

The printer in coworker's office is acting up.
It has a persistent, grating squeak every time it fires up.

Yesterday I got frustrated with it.
I walked in and whacked it with my fist.

The noise stopped!
And for just a moment, I was the Fonz!  ;D

Amava

Re: Your "cool" moments
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 05:42:33 PM »
No "cool moments" I can immediately think of, but oh my word, the Fonz!! You mentioned the Fonz! You *acted* like the Fonz!  That threw me right back into my childhood! Thanks for the smile.  ;D

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 05:48:30 PM »
Heh!

My coworker now yells for me to "Come Fonz this thing!"

She's tried whacking it, but it still squeaks.  :D

Cuddlepie

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 06:41:05 PM »
My step-mum is definitely a glass half-full person.

My Dad was in hospital and hospital carparks are terrible places to find a park.  So step-mum is going on and on and on about the parking as she had to walk  v e r y  long distances every day.  The first time we drive to the hospital together I say to stay positive we WILL get a park in the carpark not in a side street.  Yah, we did.  Step-mum said it was still a long way to walk to the front door.  Ok, day 2:  I say not only will we get a park today it will be closer to the door.  And it happened.  Step-mum was happy!  On day 3 we luckily found a park as close to the entrance as was possible.   

Step-mum was  :D and also   :o.      Luckily I didn't have to keep proving my 'positive theory" as Dad was allowed home the next day.  (thank goodness)

deadbody

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 07:22:02 PM »
The first time I ever tried snowboarding I was not good at it (it is the only time I've ever done it as well) and I fell a bunch.  I started getting a bit of a hang of it halfway down the hill, as a couple pretty girls watched I lost control and fell forward like on my face.  Somehow I tucked perfectly and turned it into a somersault that ended with me back on the board going downhill.  The pretty girls clapped and I raised my arms in victory like I totally meant to do that.

Sadly about 12 feet later I fell again, and not as gracefully.  But for that fleeting second I was the coolest guy on the mountain.

Silversurfer

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 08:56:52 PM »
I used to work reception at the head office of a hardware store.
One day i was down in the store, hanging out at the checkouts with a bunch of late 50 something men. (i was early 20s.)
For some reason we were talking about a carton of eggs that were on the checkout. The store manager looked at me and said "How do you like your eggs in the morning?"
It was one of those epic moments, when everyone was silent and waiting for my reply. I looked him dead in the eye and said.
"Unfertalized"
It was awesome!

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 11:21:33 PM »
Ever had a moment when the stars lined up, the universe aligned and - just for one moment - you were cool?
What were yours?

The noise stopped!
CRUD MONKEYS!! When I was in 3rd grade, back in the early 70's, I actuallly met the Fonz at the height of Happy Days! I was THE coolest kid in school for about a week. I still have the picture (complete with purple beer can hat) to prove it. To this day I have a soft spot for Henry Winkler.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 12:21:20 AM »
The coolest moment have all had to do with astronomy.

(1)  Back when I was about 17 or so my older sister and I went to the local Christian Serviceman's center.  When we got there, I happened to notice that the full moon was ever so slightly eclipsed, and there was a group of people standing in the driveway looking at it.  Someone asked, "Exactly what are we seeing here?"  and my sister gave me a nudge, so I started explaining the mechanics behind lunar eclipses to a rapt audience, most of whom were older than me.

(2)  Fast forward to May 1994, the day of the big annular solar eclipse that was seen in a wide swath across the United States.  Since I'd known it was coming, I wrote an article and submitted it to the newspaper of the military base where I was working, and it was printed. 

The day of the eclipse, I had my eclipse-watching kit (14 layers of Mylar taped together and a box with a pinhole in it) and I was stationed at a window of the hospital where I worked that had a perfect view of the eclipse.  I was on the third floor, and happened to look down and notice a group of people with their pinhole boxes down on ground level.  In my article I had made a point about not looking directly at the sun and instead using a pinhole box to watch the eclipse.  As the eclipse progressed I was joined by a group of people at my window, so I passed around my Mylar.  Someone asked what we were seeing, and someone else mentioned the article in the base paper, to which I said, "I wrote it," so I got to give another impromptu lecture on the orbital mechanics of the sun and the moon to another rapt audience, this one made up mostly of military officers.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 01:07:38 AM »
A few years ago, I had the lead in a local community theatre's production of "Hello, Dolly!".

A good six months later, I was checking out at the hardware store when the cashier looked up, did a double take, and blurted out, "Oh my gosh!  It's Dolly!  Look, it's Dolly!" and the other cashiers and customers started staring and pointing and smiling and saying, "Oh yeah!  Look!  So it is!" and stuff like that.  I was so embarrassed, but also so pleased  ;D.

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 09:50:55 AM »
Okay, the coolness factor may be mitigated by the fact that I was playing Yugioh at the time, but the last game I played, the stars definitely aligned-- without going too much into the game mechanics, in a few turns, I ended up able to play a series of 4 cards that made it so my opponent couldn't do a single thing against me. I won quite handily after that.

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 11:09:19 AM »
Okay, the coolness factor may be mitigated by the fact that I was playing Yugioh at the time, but the last game I played, the stars definitely aligned-- without going too much into the game mechanics, in a few turns, I ended up able to play a series of 4 cards that made it so my opponent couldn't do a single thing against me. I won quite handily after that.

As a Yugio player I would love to know that card combo!

My latest cool moment? Getting a hyped up runaway puppy to stop in it's tracks and go back to his owner just by standing before him and saying home while pointing to his human.

Dogs love me!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 04:53:27 PM »
I certainly can't claim any credit for this but it sure felt great.

Back in the days when the only computer we had in the library was a 286, we received a phone call from someone writing an article for a bird fanciers' magazine.

From Old Kongdom Egypt there is a beautiful wall painting of geese.  The caller vaguely remembered an article that identified the various types of geese shown.  Could there be any possible chance of tracking this thing down?

There certainly was.  As it happened, the author of the original article was standing right next to my desk.  I put the phone call on hold and asked our goose man where the article had appeared.  In a few seconds, I was back on the line with full information. We had the article in our collection and would the caller like a photocopy sent to her?

Her response was most gratifying. 
'Wow!  that's some information retrieval system you've got there!'

After that, I didn't have the heart to tell her the truth.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 08:00:46 PM »
A while ago when I worked at a pizza joint as a teen, one of my co-workers and his girlfriend were forever openly talking about their sex life to anyone and everyone. One night he makes the usual mention of it, and I responded with a joking put-down remark that I won't repeat here. And I can't even remember the exact details of it anymore anyway. Everyone in the kitchen was just busting up laughing and telling me how great and funny I was. Then for the next few days, I would have co-workers who weren't there that night telling me how they heard about this joke, and how funny and great I was for making it  :)

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 07:50:14 AM »
What were yours?

The noise stopped!
CRUD MONKEYS!! When I was in 3rd grade, back in the early 70's, I actuallly met the Fonz at the height of Happy Days! I was THE coolest kid in school for about a week. I still have the picture (complete with purple beer can hat) to prove it. To this day I have a soft spot for Henry Winkler.

I actually met him a few months ago at a convention. He was really very cool..very, very nice guy.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 08:31:54 PM »
He was on "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" a few weeks ago playing "Not My Job" -- that's where they ask well-known people questions about something outside their area of expertise. I don't remember his category, but I do remember that all the multiple-choice questions they asked him had A as the correct answer -- because they wanted to hear him say "Aaaayyy!"
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady