Author Topic: Your "cool" moments  (Read 4563 times)

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
Re: Your "cool" moments
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 01:00:18 PM »
A while ago when I worked at a pizza joint as a teen, one of my co-workers and his girlfriend were forever openly talking about their sex life to anyone and everyone. One night he makes the usual mention of it, and I responded with a joking put-down remark that I won't repeat here. And I can't even remember the exact details of it anymore anyway. Everyone in the kitchen was just busting up laughing and telling me how great and funny I was. Then for the next few days, I would have co-workers who weren't there that night telling me how they heard about this joke, and how funny and great I was for making it  :)

I was in high school, getting ready to go to a jazz band competition.  We are on the bus and this annoying guy was asking me quasi-philosophical questions and generally being annoying.  Finally he set me up and the stars aligned:

Guy: How do you know we even exist?
Me: Well, I think, therefore I am, but I'm not sure you've got the first part yet.

The whole bus heard me.  I was the hit of the evening, especially because no one liked this guy.

I'm so conflicted about it now, though, because it *is* funny, but I *know* the guy didn't really have any friends, and I was just blossoming into a somewhat "cool" person after years of being teased all the time.  But still, my brain doesn't usually come up with that stuff...

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 08:20:20 PM »
It was a dark and rainy night (really!) and I was on basic training.
My mission? Lead a patrol to a certain location and find out if there were "enemies" at the bridge.

So off we went.
We followed the old road into the treeline. Eventually, it petered out and we halted.
This was the point where I had to leave the rest of the team and strike off with just one person for back up.
We trotted off into the very wet woods.

Apparently, after we left, the Sargeant shook his head and said "She didn't take a bearing. I'd have at least taken a bearing..." (ie - checked my compass.)

My reasoning was thusly: I was looking for a bridge. According to the map, there was a lake ahead of me and a road on my right.
No matter which way I wandered, I'd meet one or the other, either lake or road. Follow the one to the other and voila! The bridge!

My plan worked perfectly. It helped that there was a Boy Scout camp on the other side of the inlet and it sort of brightened the woods up a bit  :D, but we actually pretty much strolled up to the bridge. We made our observations and prepared to head back.
My back up was actually pretty impressed with how things had worked out so far and said "Okay, you got us here, now get us back."

Uh oh. Here's where the "Take a compass bearing" part would have come in handy.
'Cause it's really easy to go to where two things meet (lake and road) because you can follow to where they meet.
Going the other way is way harder. I just knew that the rest of my platoon was "out there" somewhere.

So I turned around and tried to figure out what to do when....Glory Be!
The lights from the Boy Scout Camp?
The lights lighting up the lake shore?
They were also lighting up the old road we'd come in on (the one I thought had petered out.)
Somewhere on that old road was my platoon.

I took off up that road, my buddy at my heels. And just when I thought I was hopelessly lost, I gave our "platoon signal" in the hope they were sort of near.
And the branch in front me moved, and I was face to face with my Sargeant.
The staff's consensus was "We have no idea how you pulled that off."

I got an "A" on patrolling.  ;D ;D

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 08:35:18 PM »
White Dragon, I'd have given you an 'A' too. That's impressive!

My cool moment:

I was a dorky fourteen-year-old when my family took a ski trip with our extended family. One evening, there was a night ski for the littler kids, but I told Mom I didn't want to go. She gave me some money and told me to wait in the lodge for them. It was later in the evening, so the lodge was pretty empty. I bought myself a bottle of root beer and snagged a corner table near a TV. The lights were a little dim, and I sort of blended into the background, watching all the people outside ski by. I felt so COOL nursing my drink in the corner with a big screen TV all to myself - like a spy waiting for my contact to come and give me the names of the jewel thieves or something.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Paper Roses

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 09:02:24 PM »
Don't know if this really counts, but here it is.

We took a trip a few years back to a theme park which had a parking garage.  We were leaving the park, and in the garage walking to our car, when someone's car alarm started going off (you know, the repetitive horn blasts.  But in a parking garage that was only about 25% occupied.  I'm sure you can imagine the echo).  My kids were all fired up with the excitement of the day, and at one point took off running towards the car.  I was afraid someone driving in the garage might not see them, and wouldn't be able to hear them with the alarm going.  I called to them a couple of times, but they didn't hear me (of course).

So in one split second, between horn blasts, I yelled at the top of my lungs "HEY!!!"  And just then, not only did my kids hear me and stop, but the alarm stopped as well.  We all had a good laugh as my kids went on about my "magic powers," but the best was there were a couple of guys in the garage working on another car - the hood was up, they were bent over the front of it (not the same car with the blasting horn) and they got quite i kick out of it too - they even thanked me.  I said "You're welcome, and if I'd known it was going to work, I'd have done it alot sooner!"
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 10:22:29 AM »
This wasn't a cool moment of my own.  It's something I saw at a parade a few years back. 

The street was very wide so cars were still parked along it.  A band was marching along and the bass drummer was having a wonderful time.  Somehow, he'd managed to get his stroke just right.  As a result, he was setting off car alarms all along the way. 

You could tell by the look on his face that he thought this was the coolest thing ever.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 10:30:55 AM »
A while ago when I worked at a pizza joint as a teen, one of my co-workers and his girlfriend were forever openly talking about their sex life to anyone and everyone. One night he makes the usual mention of it, and I responded with a joking put-down remark that I won't repeat here. And I can't even remember the exact details of it anymore anyway. Everyone in the kitchen was just busting up laughing and telling me how great and funny I was. Then for the next few days, I would have co-workers who weren't there that night telling me how they heard about this joke, and how funny and great I was for making it  :)

I was in high school, getting ready to go to a jazz band competition.  We are on the bus and this annoying guy was asking me quasi-philosophical questions and generally being annoying.  Finally he set me up and the stars aligned:

Guy: How do you know we even exist?
Me: Well, I think, therefore I am, but I'm not sure you've got the first part yet.

The whole bus heard me.  I was the hit of the evening, especially because no one liked this guy.

I'm so conflicted about it now, though, because it *is* funny, but I *know* the guy didn't really have any friends, and I was just blossoming into a somewhat "cool" person after years of being teased all the time.  But still, my brain doesn't usually come up with that stuff...

Xallanthia, that's like what my mom did to an annoying kid in her Social Studies class in high school - he had been bragging about how he knew what "Cogito ergo sum" meant, and Mom said, "Then why don't you stop and just disappear?" Fortunately, the teacher thought it was funny, and Mom didn't get in trouble.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 03:59:58 PM »
Back in my younger days, I played on a co-ed floor hockey team.  Now, this was strictly a for-fun thing.  We played the game then we went out and had a couple of pitchers.  Hardly competitive.  The teams were coed and I really did like a good, physical game as long as it was clean.  And for some insane reason, I was not really that afraid of getting whacked with the puck, so I usually played defense.  I wasn't the most awesome defensive player the league ever knew but I did okay.

There was one team we played who was pretty competitive.  One guy in particular was pretty cocky with the fancy stick work and passes.  He was good but it was off-putting.

So he broke away with the puck and was headed right for me.  He stopped right in front of me, got this super obnoxious smile on his face and took his time preparing to shoot.

So I stole the puck. And thoroughly enjoyed the "What the...? look on his face.

>:D

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 04:28:50 PM »
The coolest moment have all had to do with astronomy.

(1)  Back when I was about 17 or so my older sister and I went to the local Christian Serviceman's center.  When we got there, I happened to notice that the full moon was ever so slightly eclipsed, and there was a group of people standing in the driveway looking at it.  Someone asked, "Exactly what are we seeing here?"  and my sister gave me a nudge, so I started explaining the mechanics behind lunar eclipses to a rapt audience, most of whom were older than me.

(2)  Fast forward to May 1994, the day of the big annular solar eclipse that was seen in a wide swath across the United States.  Since I'd known it was coming, I wrote an article and submitted it to the newspaper of the military base where I was working, and it was printed. 

The day of the eclipse, I had my eclipse-watching kit (14 layers of Mylar taped together and a box with a pinhole in it) and I was stationed at a window of the hospital where I worked that had a perfect view of the eclipse.  I was on the third floor, and happened to look down and notice a group of people with their pinhole boxes down on ground level.  In my article I had made a point about not looking directly at the sun and instead using a pinhole box to watch the eclipse.  As the eclipse progressed I was joined by a group of people at my window, so I passed around my Mylar.  Someone asked what we were seeing, and someone else mentioned the article in the base paper, to which I said, "I wrote it," so I got to give another impromptu lecture on the orbital mechanics of the sun and the moon to another rapt audience, this one made up mostly of military officers.

Someone with a name like yours?  Into astronomy?  For Sirius?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 11:30:07 AM »
I have another story that isn't my own but, it's super cool nevertheless.

Our milk was delivered by a guy I'll call Clarence.  Clarence was a great fan of Soupy Sales.  Soupy was noted for his signature type of joke.  This took the form of, 'Show me an X and I'll show you a Y'. 

Clarence was very good at these things and usually had one in reserve if you happened to be home when he delivered the milk.

Clarence also delivered milk to the home of Mitch Miller.  One day, he arrived and brought the milk into the kitchen.  Mitch Miller was having coffee at the table with a house guest.  Clarence launched into one of his zingers, 'Hey, Mr. Miller!  show me an X...'.

Clarence got no further.  The other man At the table turned around and threw back a zinger of his own.  The man drinking coffee was Soupy Sales.  Clarence was invited to sit down and have a coffee with his idol.  Milk deliveries were a bit delayed but this was the coolest day of Clarence's life. 

Because Soupy was a great favorite of teenagers at the time, Clarence became a minor local celebrity.

chibichan

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 09:20:28 PM »
I had a cool moment at work , years ago .

I drove a forklift and had learned the hard way that when you are backing down a steep loading ramp , if your forks are not tilted up far enough it will cause the forklift to become hung up on the concrete surface of the ramp .

I was sitting outside after my shift , and noticed that this had happened to a group of Japanese contractors who were unloading some equipment at the warehouse .

They were completely stymied . They were actually pushing on the front of the forklift ( 2000 + lbs. ) in an attempt to dislodge it from the ramp . One guy was talking into his cellphone with a worried expression on his face .

I calmly set my soda down , stolled over to the machine , reached inside and pushed a lever forward . Forks tilted up , front tires lowered , problem solved . By a young foreign WOMAN .

I silently stolled back to my soda , while they looked on with awe . Best feeling ever .
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 12:27:22 PM »
I swear that I posted to this thread and told about how when I wear my round sunglasses I look and feel like Ozzie Osborne. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

blueyzca01

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 02:55:17 PM »
When I was in college, I worked at the recreation center, which housed the pools and a massive lawn for sunbathing (fun bit of trivia, this place was once listed by Playboy as the “#2 Pick-up Spot in the Nation” for that year).

I was assigned to check everybody to make sure they showed their IDs and help keep the office running smoothly.  I was always a stickler for the rules.  As in “if you don’t have your ID, you don’t come in!”  Sadly, every now and then, some idiot manager would go over my head and tell the person, “Oh, it’s okay, just bring it next time!”  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  And I got quite a reputation for being hard-nosed about it. 

And there was a run-in with a guy on our track team (who had won a Gold medal in the Seoul Olympics the year before) because he didn’t have his ID.  “Yeah, Steve, I do know who you are!  But you’re still not coming in here without ID!”  Most of the time my bosses backed me up.  I mean really, why make the rule if you’re not going to enforce it?

I eventually graduate and leave that job.  A couple years later, I was in the area and dropped in to see friends who had been hired to work there full-time by the university.  And I met this young sophomore working in my old job who delightedly told me that she was proud to be a “nitpicker” because she heard about  ‘this girl’ who worked there a couple of years ago who was just as stubborn and she totally felt the same way. 

I wish I had a photograph of her face lighting up when my friend told her that I was ‘that girl.’  I felt like such a rock star.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:03:10 PM by blueyzca01 »
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 04:11:58 PM »
I swear that I posted to this thread and told about how when I wear my round sunglasses I look and feel like Ozzie Osborne.

Perhaps you posted it to the "Things that make you feel bad [donkey]" thread?
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 05:11:22 PM »
Once while hiking, I was eating an apple and was dissatisfied with its mealiness. I tossed it backwards over my shoulder, figuring some wildlife would appreciate it.

I impaled it on a bit of broken branch about 15 feet above the ground.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

buvezdevin

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 06:05:35 PM »
I used to golf in a league, nine holes of early evening golf, spring and summer sessions, mostly guys, but several other women - and a range of skill levels, at which I was at or near the bottom.  It had an emphasis on "social" golf, but among the better folders there was still an evident desire to golf at their best ability.  I knew several of the golfers through work, and also a separate group of friends, so even though the format was often competitions between foursomes, I was often paired with either known friends of mine (good golfers) and/or the chairman of the league (also good golfer, who periodically tried to offer instruction to me, as he swore my drive shots tended to defy all laws of physics, and not in a good way - his instruction was welcomed, and useful as well as humorous).

One evening, I was with the league chairman, and two of my friends as a foursome.  The format called for each player to contribute at least one shot to the team total, but other than that to complete and score each hole, each foursome took and played the best of the four players shots - so you could use the best tee shot of one golfer, finish the hole with the best putt shot of a different player, and choose best lies of shots in between.

Whenever we played this format, the team strategy needed to address the fact that none of my shots were likely to be the best of the four team mates, so at which hole and which shot would mine have the least negative impact.

On the first hole, with the ball on the green and maybe twenty feet from the hole, my team mates each got down at grass level to eye the grass blades, slope etc.  They weren't usually *quite* this fanatic on the green, but it was a putt shot they wanted to sink, rather than need a follow up stroke.  They each missed the putt, some by more than a little.

Meanwhile, I had been watching them, thinking, "yes, it's not s sure putt, but you guys are working yourselves up so much that it's your tension causing the miss."

Now I'm the last to putt, and the team's last chance to keep under par for this hole.  I can sense that no one actually expects me to sink it.  I walked up to the ball and barely paused before putting and sinking the shot.  From the reaction of my team mates, you would have thought I had just won the Master's and they each told the story during after golf drinks.

I so enjoyed that moment, though it did not foreshadow any particular improvement in my golf game going forward.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain