Author Topic: Your "cool" moments  (Read 4611 times)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: Your "cool" moments
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 08:07:50 PM »
As a sub, you have to be a jack-of-all trades, esp. if you mainly sub for Jr Hi and HS. 
It has been years since I was in school, and this school is "rigorously academic" so pretty much college level.  Ack!
Well, I remember the barest of facts about Beowulf, but I hit the absolute right and rather obscure answer one time in lit, and the kids offered to take me on in a trivia contest, me vs. the whole class, truly believing that I was that smart.  (I declined, saying "no time.")   ;)

Yes, I have kept up the facade, even in math classes, because I know just enough to use the Socratic Method to their benefit, and have perfected my "look deep into the eyes of the student, peer into the soul, raise one eyebrow ever so slightly, and then point them back to the book" look, with the confidence of the student raised that Yes, they can! find the answer. 
(Plus, most of the teachers leave pretty good notes, or I know where to find the answers in the teacher answer books, or use my SmartPhone.)

I had a brief conversation with a new transfer student who was in "slow math" yet finished a test in 15 mins, while others took up to 50 minutes.  Knowing that she is a good and diligent student in other areas,  I suggested that if she continues to do so well, and makes "A's" on her tests, that she could test out of "slow math" into "fast math."  She lit up and came to me a few days later saying that she was going to try for that; her last test was an "A" and she was so excited! 

That felt pretty cool.   8)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 08:37:40 PM »
I was at a hockey game a couple of seasons ago and the quickest fight ever took place. Seriously, twelve seconds took place between the gloves dropping and the opposing guy getting up close and personal with the ice. Fast forward to the end of season fan party. I'm in line to get Mitch Woods's autograph (he's the one involved in the fight)....and when it's my turn I tell him that I loved watching him deck the opposing player. He starts laughing. Definitely cool.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 10:47:20 PM »
I had a hearing scheduled on something in a small and rather obscure area of state law. I was talking to opposing counsel beforehand, and he was trying to convince me that I was wrong and needed to agree to his interpretation.  He used a particular book on the subject to support his point, but I was able to show him another part that supported what I was saying.  He asked if I was familiar with the book. 

I pointed out that I wrote it. :)

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 03:02:57 AM »
Now that is cool!

Mal

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 03:46:32 AM »
Don't know if it's really along the same lines, but:

You know how, in an awkward situation with a disagreeable human being, you _never_ have a clever comeback ready, but five minutes after they have disappeared from your line of sight you come up with the perfect zinger?

The other day I stood at the train station looking at the schedule and a stranger staggered up to me (I seem to be a drunken-idiot-magnet) and babbled "Heeey'mma gonna tellyouu somth'n..." and I turned around, looked him directly in the eye and said: "No, thank you."
To which he mumbled "'kay" and trudged away.

That was so satisfying, and it wasn't even rude :)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2011, 09:00:12 PM »
I had a hearing scheduled on something in a small and rather obscure area of state law. I was talking to opposing counsel beforehand, and he was trying to convince me that I was wrong and needed to agree to his interpretation.  He used a particular book on the subject to support his point, but I was able to show him another part that supported what I was saying.  He asked if I was familiar with the book. 

Kenvee, 1. OtherPerson: 0
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2011, 09:30:29 PM »

More like Kenvee 1000! ;D

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2011, 10:03:57 PM »

More like Kenvee 1000! ;D

True.  ;D
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

NutMeg

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2011, 11:34:23 PM »
Haha! I have so many of these, and it feels like I can't take any credit for them. It's like my brain just takes over and says stuff without my realizing what is going to happen.

Once, my best friend and I were watching a movie on his laptop. The room was dark, we were cuddled up (it was a scary movie). A fly begins to buzz around us. Just as it moved into the light, I reached out and killed it with my fingers. But I just pushed hard enough that it died, not so hard that it got my fingers messy. My friend turns to me and says, "Did you seriously just ninja kill that fly? That was the coolest thing I've ever seen."

First time I met one of my relative's spouses, I was about eight. We went to Chapters and he wanted to find a how to book on his area of expertise, because he likes to see if there is anything new or interesting in different books on this topic. He finds two, one is from the *Subject* for Dummies line of books, and the other is from the Idiot's Guide to *Subject* line. He turns to me and asks me which I think he should get. It seemed pretty obvious to me, so I asked him, "Well, are you an idiot or a dummy?" He still talks about it, fifteen years later.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2011, 07:27:56 PM »
First time I met one of my relative's spouses, I was about eight. We went to Chapters and he wanted to find a how to book on his area of expertise, because he likes to see if there is anything new or interesting in different books on this topic. He finds two, one is from the *Subject* for Dummies line of books, and the other is from the Idiot's Guide to *Subject* line. He turns to me and asks me which I think he should get. It seemed pretty obvious to me, so I asked him, "Well, are you an idiot or a dummy?" He still talks about it, fifteen years later.

LOL!  That's awesome. :)

DCZinger

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2011, 08:15:07 PM »
I am a PTA chair for one of the school's yearly events.    In previous years,  the event was a nightmare (not enough seats for the parents, scheduling problems, you name it).    I decided to take on this event because I wanted to come and relax, and actually sit with my kid for once!       
This year, I took measurements of the room, drew a scale diagram, studied traffic flows,  studied the school's schedules,  interviewed the staff,   and then designed how the event would go.    Diagrams, traffic flow, schedule, signage, reservation form.      This is what I used to do before I had the Zingerchild.

The Vice Principal was freaking out over planning this event,  so we set up a meeting and I showed her what I came up with.     You could have heard a pin drop in the room.   "Awesome".   "You're a genius".  "Fantastic"...she said.    She said that I lifted a two ton boulder off her chest.      I said that what I did was my take on it, and of course, feel free to make changes.      "No way" she says,  "We're doing it just like this".   

The event went perfectly,  the Principal was thrilled, and everyone-staff, volunteers and parents had a great time.    I got to sit with my child and enjoy myself.     Best yet is that my plan is now THE plan.   

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2011, 07:52:43 PM »
I swear that I posted to this thread and told about how when I wear my round sunglasses I look and feel like Ozzie Osborne.

Perhaps you posted it to the "Things that make you feel bad [donkey]" thread?
Oh, maybe...thanks.  It also makes me cool, though! 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2011, 08:42:45 PM »
The coolest moment have all had to do with astronomy.

(1)  Back when I was about 17 or so my older sister and I went to the local Christian Serviceman's center.  When we got there, I happened to notice that the full moon was ever so slightly eclipsed, and there was a group of people standing in the driveway looking at it.  Someone asked, "Exactly what are we seeing here?"  and my sister gave me a nudge, so I started explaining the mechanics behind lunar eclipses to a rapt audience, most of whom were older than me.

(2)  Fast forward to May 1994, the day of the big annular solar eclipse that was seen in a wide swath across the United States.  Since I'd known it was coming, I wrote an article and submitted it to the newspaper of the military base where I was working, and it was printed. 

The day of the eclipse, I had my eclipse-watching kit (14 layers of Mylar taped together and a box with a pinhole in it) and I was stationed at a window of the hospital where I worked that had a perfect view of the eclipse.  I was on the third floor, and happened to look down and notice a group of people with their pinhole boxes down on ground level.  In my article I had made a point about not looking directly at the sun and instead using a pinhole box to watch the eclipse.  As the eclipse progressed I was joined by a group of people at my window, so I passed around my Mylar.  Someone asked what we were seeing, and someone else mentioned the article in the base paper, to which I said, "I wrote it," so I got to give another impromptu lecture on the orbital mechanics of the sun and the moon to another rapt audience, this one made up mostly of military officers.

Someone with a name like yours?  Into astronomy?  For Sirius?

Would you believe it just now occurred to me what that meant?  Talk about slow.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2011, 03:05:36 PM »
The coolest moment have all had to do with astronomy.

(1)  Back when I was about 17 or so my older sister and I went to the local Christian Serviceman's center.  When we got there, I happened to notice that the full moon was ever so slightly eclipsed, and there was a group of people standing in the driveway looking at it.  Someone asked, "Exactly what are we seeing here?"  and my sister gave me a nudge, so I started explaining the mechanics behind lunar eclipses to a rapt audience, most of whom were older than me.

(2)  Fast forward to May 1994, the day of the big annular solar eclipse that was seen in a wide swath across the United States.  Since I'd known it was coming, I wrote an article and submitted it to the newspaper of the military base where I was working, and it was printed. 

The day of the eclipse, I had my eclipse-watching kit (14 layers of Mylar taped together and a box with a pinhole in it) and I was stationed at a window of the hospital where I worked that had a perfect view of the eclipse.  I was on the third floor, and happened to look down and notice a group of people with their pinhole boxes down on ground level.  In my article I had made a point about not looking directly at the sun and instead using a pinhole box to watch the eclipse.  As the eclipse progressed I was joined by a group of people at my window, so I passed around my Mylar.  Someone asked what we were seeing, and someone else mentioned the article in the base paper, to which I said, "I wrote it," so I got to give another impromptu lecture on the orbital mechanics of the sun and the moon to another rapt audience, this one made up mostly of military officers.

Someone with a name like yours?  Into astronomy?  For Sirius?

Would you believe it just now occurred to me what that meant?  Talk about slow.

No, you are working at light speed. You're just a few parsecs away. Took some time for it to reach you.  ;)