Author Topic: Ehell Freecycle.  (Read 4009 times)

SiotehCat

Ehell Freecycle.
« on: October 23, 2011, 01:35:09 PM »
I was wondering what the site thought about having a thread for things that we were giving away.

I was reading the Declutter thread and started to actually declutter my attic and I was thinking that there are a few things that I would like to  give away if anyone wanted them.

Maybe there could be a thread devoted to it with some general rules for it? I know that there are some risks involved, but if everyone were on the same page, I think it could be fun.

Example: 12 inch tall Gumby is looking for a new home *Picture* Will ship to anywhere in the US to the first person that sends me their address. (This is just an example, I am not getting rid of my gumby.)

What does everyone else think? Mods, are there rules in place that would make this not work?

Solanna Dryden

Re: Ehell Freecycle.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 02:34:49 PM »
The only problem I see is how would you police it? If someone didn't get their item, who would you go to? The mods? I doubt they'd be able to really do much of anything; besides, they seem to be overworked enough as it is.
Honey badger don't care. YOLO

JoW

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 02:45:12 PM »
I can see one more potential problem.  Shipping costs.  I sent someone on another board an ice scraper.  It cost $1 for the ice scraper, $2.50 to mail it.  She lived in northern Florida where ice scrapers are not available.  They were having an abnormally cold winter and she need one, so I don't regret doing it.  But sometimes buying new is cheaper than shipping. 

SiotehCat

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 02:47:49 PM »
I can see one more potential problem.  Shipping costs.  I sent someone on another board an ice scraper.  It cost $1 for the ice scraper, $2.50 to mail it.  She lived in northern Florida where ice scrapers are not available.  They were having an abnormally cold winter and she need one, so I don't regret doing it.  But sometimes buying new is cheaper than shipping.

That's true.

I was thinking that the shipping could be the responsibility of the giver, but if the receiver offers, then it is between them. I think throwing money into the mix makes it a little more risky, so I wouldn't want anyone to depend on the receivers money.

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 02:51:32 PM »
I agree with the shipping problem.  I am an active participant in my local area Freecycle (offering, anyway, as I'm trying to get rid of existing stuff and stop the inflow of other stuff) and part of the appeal is that it's absolutely free for me to give stuff away - I don't even have to spend gas money if I'm willing to have the receiver come to my house, but usually I just meet them at the local ubermart or Starbucks while I'm out doing my regular errands.

Throw shipping in and suddenly it's not free - either the offerer has to eat that cost, or hope that the receiver is on the stick and sends $$.  I watched an evening gown exchange on another board go pear-shaped because a few gown receivers didn't send money for shipping, and the most generous of donators quit giving up her dresses.

OhHai!

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 03:21:33 PM »
We have a craft swap thread somewhere on this thread.  The sender pays the shipping, and the giver promises to pay it forward in the future.  It didn't go very far, unfortunately.  I did receive some wonderful knitting looms through it - I have thoroughly enjoyed them.  In addition, the same thing has gone on over on FB - the giver pays the shipping, knowing that sometime in the future, she might receive something in return, and also the good feeling that her stuff has found a nice home.

It really has to be done on that kind of system - the giver pays for shipping, knowing that her stuff is finding a home where it will be used, and thinking, "Well, maybe I'll get something in return from someone else."

I don't think asking for shipping money would work very well.  Someone might get rooked out of their money, and feel cheated.

SiotehCat

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 03:22:50 PM »
We have a craft swap thread somewhere on this thread.  The sender pays the shipping, and the giver promises to pay it forward in the future.  It didn't go very far, unfortunately.  I did receive some wonderful knitting looms through it - I have thoroughly enjoyed them.  In addition, the same thing has gone on over on FB - the giver pays the shipping, knowing that sometime in the future, she might receive something in return, and also the good feeling that her stuff has found a nice home.

It really has to be done on that kind of system - the giver pays for shipping, knowing that her stuff is finding a home where it will be used, and thinking, "Well, maybe I'll get something in return from someone else."

I don't think asking for shipping money would work very well.  Someone might get rooked out of their money, and feel cheated.

Yes! This is exactly what I was thinking.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 05:47:35 PM »
Personally, I don't feel our forum is really the place to start doing business with each other. I think it's fraught with potential problems and feelings getting hurt. Just think about all the Freecycle threads that get started here.

While I think we have a better sense of community and looking out for each other, I actually think that can lead to more problems with people feeling taken advantage of if something did go wrong, because we "know" each other.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 08:03:20 AM »
I'm not enthused about creating a specific area of the forum for "free cycle" type transactions. However, I did once offer a set of archival renaissance music on LPs for free to the first person who contacted me with a valid address.  I paid for the shipping because I wanted the albums to go to a good home, to someone who would value them since I no longer had a need for them and it would have been a shame and waste to drop them off at a generic thrift store or thrown them out. 

I posted it in the Off topic folder.  So, for the occasional item like that, either the Off topic folder, Craft folder if applicable or even the Meet and greet folders would work.  But there cannot be an exchange of money.  If you are looking to give something away, it has to be a gift. 

I do have a Brenda Breyer doll (English attire) with Breyer saddle that is looking for a good home. 

SiotehCat

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 02:52:22 PM »
I'm not enthused about creating a specific area of the forum for "free cycle" type transactions. However, I did once offer a set of archival renaissance music on LPs for free to the first person who contacted me with a valid address.  I paid for the shipping because I wanted the albums to go to a good home, to someone who would value them since I no longer had a need for them and it would have been a shame and waste to drop them off at a generic thrift store or thrown them out. 

I posted it in the Off topic folder.  So, for the occasional item like that, either the Off topic folder, Craft folder if applicable or even the Meet and greet folders would work.  But there cannot be an exchange of money.  If you are looking to give something away, it has to be a gift. 
I do have a Brenda Breyer doll (English attire) with Breyer saddle that is looking for a good home.

I completely understand and that sounds absolutely resonable, especially the part I bolded.

My first thought was to post it in the Off Topic folder, but I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate.

Thank you for responding.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 03:00:21 PM »
It's not something that sounds like a good idea to me.  There are too many actual Freecycle sites in my area that let me post things and I don't have to pay to get rid of them.  Paying money to get rid of something just seems to be...  a waste of money. 

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx