Author Topic: Family Adopts Dog for Elderly Neighbor  (Read 1424 times)

momof2weenies

• (3 weenies now!)
Family Adopts Dog for Elderly Neighbor
« on: October 24, 2011, 04:15:45 PM »
I feel so lucky to have been a part of this whole exchange!

I started fostering with a rescue group about a month ago.  My first foster was Sadie, a 6yr-old miniature longhaired doxie.  She was a irresponsible parent of the human variety surrender, had obviously had LOTS of puppies, missing lots of teeth, etc.  She was an *absolute* lovebug.

The day we posted her pics on the rescue's website, a nice lady named Deb filled out an application.  It seems that her family had, up until recently, been neighbors with an 85-year-old widower named Art.  Art had just had to put his dog to sleep, and Deb's family wanted to adopt Sadie as a gift for him.

We arranged a meeting, and Art fell in love with Sadie - she climbed onto his lab and gave him kisses.  She still had to get spayed, so we agreed that I would call Art in a week or so, after the surgery, to see if he'd made his decision on whether Sadie was the right dog for him.  Two days later, he was on my voicemail  ;D

Sadie went to her forever home yesterday.  Not only did Deb's family cover Sadie's adoption fee, they are going to cover vet care for Sadie for life.  All Deb had to say about the whole deal was, "We just feel so blessed to be able to do this for him."

I think I may have an entry for the "Best First Foster Dog Experience Ever" contest.   8)
"Dachshunds are like potato chips. You can never have just one."

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: Family Adopts Dog for Elderly Neighbor
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 08:51:45 PM »
That's awesome! :D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 08:59:23 PM »
Awwww! Yay!

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 08:03:50 AM »
How sweet. And what a good match for someone who is aging, but still wants the love of an animal. I know my extended family was happy for my Grandma to get her little Abby (normal) because that little white mop of a dog brings her so much joy and life. Even though we knew then, and are living the reality now, that Grandma wouldn't be able to take care of her forever. Thankfully the rehab place allows Abby to visit.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont