Author Topic: "You're so young, why on Earth are you parking in the handicap spot?!"  (Read 39726 times)

britannialamode

I'm recovering from having my spine almost completely destroyed in a car accident (it was rebuilt with titanium and I am, thankfully and miraculously, able to walk and take care of myself now), and for a long time I didn't know how to respond to confrontational, usually older people asking me why I was getting in/getting out of my car that I had parked in the handicap zone. I really don't like having to justify my handicapped placard to anyone, but these confrontations were a bit shocking and so for a while I'd go into a long discussion about my health and recovery. Recently, though, I've found it works well to simply say: "Sometimes bad things happen to young people, too."

Does anyone have any other suggestions of things to say? I don't want to appear rude, and when imagining it in my head, "What an interesting assumption" might come off as condescending.

Sunbeem

Re: "You're so young, why on Earth are you parking in the handicap spot?!"
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 11:10:46 PM »
... Recently, though, I've found it works well to simply say: "Sometimes bad things happen to young people, too."...

I can't think of a better one that what you just said.  It is nice and vague, while at the same time pointing out to them that they shouldn't assume that young=perfectly healthy.  And if said in the right tone of voice, it would not sound condescending nor accusatory.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 11:12:34 PM »
"Because it's medically necessary even though that doesn't show."
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 12:18:11 AM »
I still need my tag but look pretty spy to the casual observer. Even though I don't really need it at home, I take my cane with me so I don't get questions. It also has saved me from being jostled more than once so I'm glad I have it, it has helped me catch myself when I tripped once, and people don't look at me as entitled when I ask them to please get something from the lowest shelf for me. (I can't bend over yet.)

I do love your "Sometimes bad things happen to young people."

kitty-cat

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 12:34:43 AM »
OP, I am so glad that you are healing so well! I'm just over 6 months out from breaking my leg in 2 places from a wreck as well. (pretty sure it didn't compound because of my weight) I hated the looks I got when we were out running errands with me, though the lookers usually left us alone when mom got the wheelchair out.

I use a cane now, for balance and making sure I sit on the shuttle on campus- I can't stand on it anymore...

I love what you say though. Of course you can always say that you are really 85, but you know a really good surgeon :P

NE Florida

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 12:46:26 AM »
OP, I am so glad that you are healing so well! I'm just over 6 months out from breaking my leg in 2 places from a wreck as well. (pretty sure it didn't compound because of my weight) I hated the looks I got when we were out running errands with me, though the lookers usually left us alone when mom got the wheelchair out.

I use a cane now, for balance and making sure I sit on the shuttle on campus- I can't stand on it anymore...

I love what you say though. Of course you can always say that you are really 85, but you know a really good surgeon :P

Oh that's a great line.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Victoria

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:52:59 AM »
"Because I need to" works fairly well as well. Or, "because my doctor threatened me if I don't" works even better.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

NutMeg

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 05:30:22 PM »

"Sometimes bad things happen to young people, too."

That is my favourite response that I've read here on eHell. Awesome.

"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

Angel B.

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 05:33:30 PM »
What you are saying is great! I'm sorry that people are so rude they have to say that to you, but I'm happy that you're recovering well. :)
My greatest treasure is love beyond measure.
-Il barbiere di Siviglia

JacklynHyde

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 08:57:31 PM »
Your verbal spine is as solid as your rebuilt physical one.  The response you have crafted is the most gentle and eloquent one I can imagine.  I hope it leaves those meanies sputtering.

wendelenn

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »

"Sometimes bad things happen to young people, too."

That is my favourite response that I've read here on eHell. Awesome.

This is great.
And I have to say, sad as it is that it had to happen, I just LOVE the idea of an e-hellion out there with an ACTUAL titanium spine!
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 09:06:45 PM »
There's also a shrug and "accidents happen"............without clarifying anything about what kind of accident. 

But carrying a cane (if it would come in handy) might also work - just don't carry a really cool one that some Entitled Little Princess is going to want to take away from you, like another eHellion (which one I do not recall - but her parents got quite upset when their little Princess didn't get given the Cool Cane).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 09:11:21 PM »
And I have to say, sad as it is that it had to happen, I just LOVE the idea of an e-hellion out there with an ACTUAL titanium spine!

There are lots of us I'm sure! I can't believe that when I begin discussing mine with someone, that person always knows someone who had the similar implants. It's amazing.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 09:13:56 PM »
I think your response is an excellent one; however, I don't think that you are required to answer nosy questions from complete strangers. A frosty stare is all you really need to give them.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

HoneyBee

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 11:30:41 AM »
Your verbal spine is as solid as your rebuilt physical one.  The response you have crafted is the most gentle and eloquent one I can imagine.  I hope it leaves those meanies sputtering.

I agree.  Very nice response, OP.  I, too, am glad you are recovering well!