Author Topic: "You're so young, why on Earth are you parking in the handicap spot?!"  (Read 39068 times)

leftout

Re: "You're so young, why on Earth are you parking in the handicap spot?!"
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 11:57:44 AM »
It sounds like you already have the perfect response!

Kaymyth

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 12:47:36 PM »
I still need my tag but look pretty spy to the casual observer. Even though I don't really need it at home, I take my cane with me so I don't get questions. It also has saved me from being jostled more than once so I'm glad I have it, it has helped me catch myself when I tripped once, and people don't look at me as entitled when I ask them to please get something from the lowest shelf for me. (I can't bend over yet.)

I do love your "Sometimes bad things happen to young people."

Sadly, this won't always save you.  Housemate has the unfortunate combination of having both a chronic illness that requires the use of a cane sometime and an aura that attracts the Crazy.  On at least two occasions, she's had complete strangers march up to her, snatch her cane away, and scold her because she's "too young to be disabled". 

It's completely mind-boggling.

RubySlippers

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 02:20:01 PM »
Do you not have a handicapped sticker or whatever on display in your car?  I have glared at people in handicapped spots when they do not have a sticker and seem quite nimble.  But if one has the correct documentation properly displayed, then it's not up to you to explain your disability to any nosy old busybody.

Nora

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 02:48:52 PM »

"Sometimes bad things happen to young people, too."

That is my favourite response that I've read here on eHell. Awesome.

Mine too, and I'm totally stealing it! I hate feeling like I have to bring my cane places, when I could probably do without it that day, just because I hate it when this occurs. People are really incredibly nosy!
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 02:57:15 PM »
I still need my tag but look pretty spy to the casual observer. Even though I don't really need it at home, I take my cane with me so I don't get questions. It also has saved me from being jostled more than once so I'm glad I have it, it has helped me catch myself when I tripped once, and people don't look at me as entitled when I ask them to please get something from the lowest shelf for me. (I can't bend over yet.)

Sadly, this won't always save you.  Housemate has the unfortunate combination of having both a chronic illness that requires the use of a cane sometime and an aura that attracts the Crazy.  On at least two occasions, she's had complete strangers march up to her, snatch her cane away, and scold her because she's "too young to be disabled". 

I've had that happen to me a couple of times, too.  Both times I had a high velocity impact with the ground as I wasn't expecting it.  Funny, the Crazy took off and didn't help me up!  Berating me for being a "faker" as they went the first time, the second nutter just took off.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:46:12 PM by Lorelei_Evil »

Nora

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 03:43:36 PM »

I've had that happen to me a couple of times, too.  Both times I had a high velocity impact with the ground as I wasn't expecting it.  Funny, the Crazy took off and didn't help me up!  Berating me for being a "faker" as they went the first time, the second nutter just took off.

I've had kids hold on to, and jostle my cane. Strangers kids. Without their parent intervening. My mind is blown every time.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 05:35:21 PM »
Do you not have a handicapped sticker or whatever on display in your car?  I have glared at people in handicapped spots when they do not have a sticker and seem quite nimble.  But if one has the correct documentation properly displayed, then it's not up to you to explain your disability to any nosy old busybody.

I'm sure we all have the handicapped plates or tags (mine is a hanger because it is temporary and my dad's was permanent but he always rode with other people). I sometimes wonder if people who glare think we are using someone else's hangtag or car.

I live in a very polite town, so I've never had any crueltly, no crowds so I can watch out for random children. I've certainly heard the horror stories and believe them.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 05:13:31 PM »
I work at the DMV, and dispense the placards.  I once had a lady (maybe 30?) who told me horror stories about being physically threatened because she wasn't old, and therefore didn't need it.  Her disability?  Congestive heart disease.

On another occasion, an older woman didn't see why we wouldn't just give her one, because they "were a courtesy that we issue to senior citizens."  No, ma'am, I am sorry, but age has nothing to do with it.  The issue is strictly whether the applicant has trouble moving from a parking spot and into a building.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

MrsVandy

• Formally futurelillady
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 09:15:33 PM »
I'm going to give these answers to DH. He's got Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease and has trouble walking, especially on uneven surfaces such as uni stone. However to most people he appears although nothing is amiss, even when he's using his cane and he gets a lot of strange looks and people being busy bodies. Currently he just pretends that he doesn't see the staring and can't hear people asking.

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 12:20:31 PM »
I love your answer, too bad it won't work for me, as I approach 50 I can't really call myself young anymore!

I was oxygen dependant for a while (I have much improved and no longer need it all of the time yeah!!!!!!) and one day when I was feeling good, I decided I didn't need it to go to the grocery store.  I parked in the handicapped spot and had someone tell me I shouldn't park there.  I said I had a permit and kept walking.  She actually followed me and berated me about being a slacker and not needing the spot.  I finally stopped, turned and told her it was the first day I had felt good enough to leave the house without portable oxygen, that I had been feeling pretty good about myself but now she had ruined my day.  She muttered something about me being too touchy and walked away.

Some people feel they need to be the handicpped parking police - I will never understand why!

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 12:49:06 PM »
Not to rain on your hopefulness, but that response doesn't work as well as you moght hope.  I have tried a variation.  I was yelled at for parking in the "Old People Parking" spots.  As I was in pain, going to get more pain meds, I was not in the best EHell mood.  I asked the person where is stated a minumum age for parking there, as I had my own tag.  When I mentioned that I have pain despite being 40ish, I was told to suck it up.  :'(

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 12:51:55 PM »

Snatched her cane away... :o Who on earth would do something like that??
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 01:10:59 PM »
It's happened to me on more than one occasion, too. 

mabelle

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2011, 01:36:49 PM »

I'm sure we all have the handicapped plates or tags (mine is a hanger because it is temporary and my dad's was permanent but he always rode with other people). I sometimes wonder if people who glare think we are using someone else's hangtag or car.

I live in a very polite town, so I've never had any crueltly, no crowds so I can watch out for random children. I've certainly heard the horror stories and believe them.

My mother is wheelchair bound (RA), and while she'd never confront someone who didn't appear to be handicapped, she WOULD if their placard and their apparent age didn't add up. In her state, the hanging tags display the birthday/year of the assigned person, because there is so much fraud (misuse of valid tags by non-handicapped relations/friends). So a chippy young lass of early 20s alone in a vehicle with WWII veteran license plates and a hanging tag that reads 1/20/1924...would get a "you know you're not supposed to use the handicap space unless the disabled person is in the vehicle" from my mom. Might not be etiquette approved, but I don't care.

Sanity Lost

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 05:00:30 PM »
My dad has used a cane since his early 20's (degenerative bone muscle disease) and only once had someone attempt to grab his cane. Fortunately he was accompanied by my younger brother and I (both in our early teens). I had been holding his other hand and Bro was slightly behind him. This guy about Dad's age grabbed his cane and started to yell at him. I managed to hold Dad up and Bro body checked the guy and grabbed Dad's cane. Bro then informed him that he best leave before he needed emergency services (Bro was still holding the cane). Bro even at 13 had a deep bass voice, a very muscled physique and a no nonsense attitude. Guy picked himself up and walked off muttering about rude people and disrespectful brats.

Not the polite way to handle it; but Bro was not (and still isn't) known for his diplomatic skills and this guy seriously scared us.