Author Topic: "You're so young, why on Earth are you parking in the handicap spot?!"  (Read 39067 times)

Nora

Re: "You're so young, why on Earth are you parking in the handicap spot?!"
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2012, 09:07:36 AM »
I hear you.  I frequently have to warn that "I'm running out of steps" during shopping trips.  I'm good for a couple of hours of walking with the stick on a good day, but if the pain is bad, I run out of steps quickly and the line between OK but tired and DONE is very thin.

Are you me? I also measure things in how many steps I feel I may have left for the day, but my guesswork is due to the thin line mentioned above often severely flawed. Suddenly I can't manage to lift my cane high enough to not trip over the cobblestone roads, whereas during a good phase I don't need the cane for months and months.

The irregularity of my condition tricks my head into thinking "If I could walk 10 miles last week, then 2 miles right now should be fine, right". Just a shame that last-week-body has left the building, and today-body feels like lying down in the middle of the road.  :-\
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2012, 09:20:55 AM »
These stories are making me weep. The conditions you guys are living with and the cruelty/thoughtlessness/stupidity of people are things I don't understand.

I was always kind and nonjudgemental before, but my temporary condition makes me even more so.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2012, 10:12:30 AM »
I don't get it often, Luci -- maybe I look too scary! ;D 

Etiquette question: When we are accosted by busy-bodies like this, is it allowable to say "Well, hallelujah!  I'll just run over and tell my rheumatologist and physical therapist that some random woman in the Walmart parking lot says I'm cured!"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.

Delta

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 03:58:27 PM »
Another one who has had her cane taken by others - I have a bad right knee and have had several surgeries - I don't always use it, but if its acting up or if I've done something to hurt it again (like falling on the ice in the winter which happens often) I use it. I've actually had a woman demand to see a Doctor's note stating what my disability was, despite having a placard for my car shortly after having ACL surgery.

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2012, 04:19:32 PM »
I had someone tell me that my cane was just for show.  Why?  It must be because it is pink.   ???

Delta

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2012, 05:21:43 PM »
I had someone tell me that my cane was just for show.  Why?  It must be because it is pink.   ???

I have a good friend who had a complete hip and knee replacement in her teens - one year she found a fantastic dress for a Christmas party, but her cane totally clashed with it, so me and another friend bought a cane at the Salvation army, cut it to the right size for her, and "blingified" it with crystals and whatnot - she LOVED it, and even used it when she was out and about at the mall, etc and got tons of compliments. Why CAN'T a cane be both functional and "for show" in a good way? *grin*

emwithme

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2012, 01:14:10 PM »

I have a good friend who had a complete hip and knee replacement in her teens - one year she found a fantastic dress for a Christmas party, but her cane totally clashed with it, so me and another friend bought a cane at the Salvation army, cut it to the right size for her, and "blingified" it with crystals and whatnot - she LOVED it, and even used it when she was out and about at the mall, etc and got tons of compliments. Why CAN'T a cane be both functional and "for show" in a good way? *grin*

I started using a stick between Christmas and New Year 2010.  For my birthday last year (February), I bought myself a fabulous stick, so now I have one black one and one stripy one - sticks for every occasion.

As Switch Sticks say, you've got to put the FUN into functional!

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2012, 03:05:36 PM »
When I was in Idaho I saw a man sitting in a store who had a beautiful hand-carved cane.  I complimented it, and he told me it had been made by a local Native American artist. 

When I was a youngster I was taught that people who walked with canes/used crutches or wheelchairs or walkers, et that type of cetera were doing it because they needed to, and if my mother had heard about me or my siblings taunting or teasing someone thus equipped we'd have been made to apologize then we'd have been punished.  I don't understand people who tease or taunt people for using assistive devices that they need. 

Nora

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2012, 08:00:29 PM »
Neither do I. It's very icy here, and I managed to tear up an old injury while slipping on the sidewalk. I am already dreading the possibility I might slip again and have to walk with a cane for a while. People always seem to think it makes me about 30 IQ points dumber.

lilihob

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2012, 04:08:07 AM »

I started using a stick between Christmas and New Year 2010.  For my birthday last year (February), I bought myself a fabulous stick, so now I have one black one and one stripy one - sticks for every occasion.

As Switch Sticks say, you've got to put the FUN into functional!
[/quote]

I have "grown in " to my disability, the older I get, the less comments I get.
 At 20, "you're too young, you need;
physio
medication
prayer
to stop faking
to repent your sins ::)
Now, I want that stick!!!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:12:07 AM by lilihob »

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2012, 06:17:33 PM »
I have "grown in " to my disability, the older I get, the less comments I get.
 At 20, "you're too young, you need;
physio
medication
prayer
to stop faking
to repent your sins ::)
Now, I want that stick!!!
THAT is justifiable homicide, IMHO.  >:(  I was only 36 when I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and I got that line from my MIL.  Yeah, I was "faking" extreme pain walking upstairs, or doing anything with my hands.  I was "faking" that my hands felt like someone had put them on a table and beat on them with a baseball bat. 

I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.

nuit93

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2012, 08:15:07 PM »
Neither do I. It's very icy here, and I managed to tear up an old injury while slipping on the sidewalk. I am already dreading the possibility I might slip again and have to walk with a cane for a while. People always seem to think it makes me about 30 IQ points dumber.

Microspikes are an awesome way to avoid slipping on ice/snow!

http://www.amazon.com/Kahtoola-MICROspikes-Pocket-Traction-System/dp/B0010RHW2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329786880&sr=8-1

They're not cheap, but they've saved me a few ER trips.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2012, 08:21:07 PM »
Yaktrax are a little less lethal but also do a fine job.

Asharah

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2012, 09:11:18 PM »
I love your answer, too bad it won't work for me, as I approach 50 I can't really call myself young anymore!

I was oxygen dependent for a while (I have much improved and no longer need it all of the time yeah!!!!!!) and one day when I was feeling good, I decided I didn't need it to go to the grocery store.  I parked in the handicapped spot and had someone tell me I shouldn't park there.  I said I had a permit and kept walking.  She actually followed me and berated me about being a slacker and not needing the spot.  I finally stopped, turned and told her it was the first day I had felt good enough to leave the house without portable oxygen, that I had been feeling pretty good about myself but now she had ruined my day.  She muttered something about me being too touchy and walked away.

Some people feel they need to be the handicapped parking police - I will never understand why!
So she follows you around and harasses you and calls you names, but you're being "too touchy" when you get fed up and tell her off? What a piece of work!
Asharah

Nora

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2012, 11:27:55 AM »

Microspikes are an awesome way to avoid slipping on ice/snow!

http://www.amazon.com/Kahtoola-MICROspikes-Pocket-Traction-System/dp/B0010RHW2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329786880&sr=8-1

They're not cheap, but they've saved me a few ER trips.

I have these, and they certainly are not cheap, aaaaand naturally I keep mislaying the heck out of them. I haven't seen them since november. I'm terrible at keeping track of stuff like this. Luckily my ankle heard me itching on the internet, and decided it could just heal itself already. Also yesterday most of the snow in my town rained away.