News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• October 04, 2015, 02:42:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "You're so young, why on Earth are you parking in the handicap spot?!"  (Read 43809 times)

I had my knee scoped a couple weeks ago and for the first few days used my walker to get around. I had a follow-up with the surgeon a few days after the procedure and was sitting in his waiting room with my leg up on the walker. The town I'm in is right next to a military base so it's not unusual to see younger folks walking around with canes and the like, but I guess a walker was too confusing for some. A semi-elderly lady approached me and asked me to move my leg so she could give the walker to her husband (who was using an older, less well-kept walker).

I said, "Sorry, but this is mine."

"That's not yours! And you don't need it anyway!" and she reached to take it from me.

I (and my son) got our hands on it before she could. I offered to unwrap my knee and show her the incisions, and told her that I've had the walker for over five years. She harrumphed a couple of times and said I was too young to need a walker. I just looked at my knee and back at her. Everybody else in the waiting room was staring at her, and she eventually got the hint.

Cz. Burrito

I can't believe the horrible things that you guys are experiencing with people trying to take away your canes and walkers.   >:(

I had to stop carrying my "cool looking" cane, people were always angling for me to give it to them since I didn't "need" it and was just lazy.  "If you weren't so lazy and worked harder, you could walk right, faker."

Then I switched to a trekking pole and people don't mess with me much. 

Due to an old knee injury, my husband has to use a cane on occasion. Thankfully, no one has demanded asked him for it, however he does get funny looks at times...he's only 30, why would he need a cane, right?

If anyone said anything it would burn my biscuits.
A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems. CS Lewis

It's good to be Queen

I have a handicapped parking pass.  I do not look disabled, but I am .  I am subject to many comments, glares, etc.  One woman demanded to know why I was entitled to handicapped parking.  I told her that my doctor decided I needed it, end of story.  She persisted with asking why, saying that I should be reported to the police, etc.  I finally told her that I was under no obligation to disclose my personal medical informaiton to her and that she should feel free to report me to the police.  Then, of course, I lost it and started crying.  I should not have to defend myself against every parking lot vigilante who thinks they can decide who is and is not handicapped.  I have my good days and bad ones, and people like her can really ruin my mood on a good day.

When you started crying did that person back off or apologize?

Neither, she just walked away shaking her head like I was a drama queen AND a faker.