Author Topic: Have you ever been the non-invited guest?  (Read 14344 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Have you ever been the non-invited guest?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 08:23:02 PM »
A few years ago I was supposed to be joining a friend of mine at his friends house for a Halloween party I was supposed to arrive first and he was heading there later. I accidentally went to the wrong home introduced myself as Eric's friend and start chatting having fun even helping set up the bar. Uhm I was two doors down from the correct party . Opps.

I've met some of my best friends that way :)  It's also much easier to get away with it when you are 18 and stupid :D

Alicia

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2014, 08:49:15 PM »
A few years ago I was supposed to be joining a friend of mine at his friends house for a Halloween party I was supposed to arrive first and he was heading there later. I accidentally went to the wrong home introduced myself as Eric's friend and start chatting having fun even helping set up the bar. Uhm I was two doors down from the correct party . Opps.

I've met some of my best friends that way :)  It's also much easier to get away with it when you are 18 and stupid :D
  sadly I was in my late twenties.  On bright side I looked Hot in my costume so I figure super hot gal at party is rarely a negative.  It was one of my most sexy costume ever.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 09:57:06 PM »

sadly I was in my late twenties.  On bright side I looked Hot in my costume so I figure super hot gal at party is rarely a negative.  It was one of my most sexy costume ever.

LOL :D

TeamBhakta

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2014, 01:29:47 AM »
Sort of. In jr high sunday school, I received an invitation to someone's birthday party. The birthday girl was the nicest, sweetest person in church and her family was the nicest one in church overall. Unfortunately, I was not friends with her. I mean, we had been in the same sunday school classes since we were 5 and would make polite random comments to each other. But we weren't friends or anything. She'd never invited me to a party before. I suspect her mother incorrectly thought "Some people might feel left out if you don't invite every girl."

I felt completely out of place at her party, since she and all the other girls from church went to school together or ran in the same circles. I really had nothing of interest to contribute at the party, even though the girl and her mom made sure everyone felt welcome, fed, etc. I didn't sew, know anybody they were talking about and I wasn't a frilly girly girl. So yeah, it sucked being the random pity invite. I would've rather been not invited in the first place  :P
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:07:16 PM by TeamBhakta »

lowspark

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2014, 11:45:24 AM »

Ya gotta tell us the rest of the story.  :)
How'd you finally figure out it was the wrong party and what did you say when you left?
And did you tell the people at the right party what had just happened?
I find the whole thing so funny!

bloo

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2014, 10:15:07 AM »

Ya gotta tell us the rest of the story.  :)
How'd you finally figure out it was the wrong party and what did you say when you left?
And did you tell the people at the right party what had just happened?
I find the whole thing so funny!

Yes, please share! That is so cute and funny!

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2014, 05:18:29 PM »
Sort of. In jr high sunday school, I received an invitation to someone's birthday party. The birthday girl was the nicest, sweetest person in church and her family was the nicest one in church overall. Unfortunately, I was not friends with her. I mean, we had been in the same sunday school classes since we were 5 and would make polite random comments to each other. But we weren't friends or anything. She'd never invited me to a party before. I suspect her mother incorrectly thought "Some people might feel left out if you don't invite every girl."

I felt completely out of place at her party, since she and all the other girls from church went to school together or ran in the same circles. I really had nothing of interest to contribute at the party, even though the girl and her mom made sure everyone felt welcome, fed, etc. I didn't sew, know anybody they were talking about and I wasn't a frilly girl girl. So yeah, it sucked being the random pity invite. I would've rather been not invited in the first place  :P

Are you me in a parallel universe?

TeamBhakta

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2014, 06:57:44 PM »

Are you me in a parallel universe?

That depends. Did you ever almost spin into a glass figurines shelf during pin the tail on the donkey ? Or wondered what would happen if you brought up "Oh hey, I collect baseball cards." :P
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:59:25 PM by TeamBhakta »

greencat

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2014, 11:18:28 PM »
I did almost the same thing as Alicia - I knocked on the door and was let into the wrong neighbor's house.  Fortunately, the neighbors whose house I walked into were the rest of the guests going over to the house next door (I was one door off in the townhouse) and it all worked out fine, although we were all a bit confused.

I have been let into several houses/apartments whose doors I knocked on in error, actually.  A lot of places around here are impossible to tell apart in the dark.

gmatoy

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 10:10:08 PM »
Once my best friend from high school came over to see me and he was standing knocking on our door when the neighbor's friend saw him and told him that he was at the wrong door. Cue confused look on BF's face. I had opened the door as the neighbor's friend said that, so BF knew he was in the right place. He says to me, "Why did he think I was in the wrong place, he doesn't know me?" I started to laugh and said, "BF, you, neighbor and the neighbor's friend are all the same race...think that might have anything to do with it?"

Lots of laughter, but to this day, I always tell him he is in the wrong place when he comes over. ;)

Zen

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2014, 10:52:10 PM »
Just once. DH and I weren't married, but we had been together for 4 years and living together for about a year at the time this happened. He received an invite for a sit down duck dinner from a friend and his wife. He assumed that I was invited since they were generally welcoming, and they knew about me and had had me over as a plus one to various gaming related events in the past. They had also invited about 10 other people, so maybe he thought what is one more person?
What he was a little too oblivious to was that the friend and his wife thought I was scum (for some reason because I loved the wonderful strangeness that is my husband there was something wrong with me). Anyway, he showed up with me and it was awful. The wife decided to tell me that I hadn't been invited but since I was there anyway they could probably accommodate me. Like any non-oblivious person, I decided that was my cue to leave. The grown man now known as my husband threw a small fit, and I stayed. I still regret I didn't leave. I haven't been back to their house since, nor will I ever. That was the end of my attempt to be nice to all of his friends. 
They came to one of our last Halloween parties at our house and didn't bother to say hello to either of us. I guess they're just too whatever for basic courtesy.

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2014, 03:20:54 PM »
oh my goodness, YES, and I'd nearly forgotten. It was so embarrassing. I was actually the non-invited guest's non-invited guest.  :-[

When I was in college, I briefly (very, very briefly) dated a guy who I will call Perfect Snowflake. His parents (Mr. & Mrs. Snowflake) thought that he was simply the most perfectest human to ever walk the earth. After we'd been d@ting for a few weeks, he invited me to a wedding the following weekend. Being young (I was around 19), it didn't occur to me to wonder how he'd have a +1 invitation for a wedding that was only a week away.

Wedding & reception are both at the grandparent's home of the bride, it's out in the country, about a 2 hour drive from Perfect's home, and a 3 hour drive from mine. So I drove to Perfect's home, and then his parents drove us all out to the wedding.

We get there, and there are *maybe* 20 people there. Many of them are glaring daggers at us. I'm confused, and kinda freaked out to have so many people looking at me like I'm some kind of social abomination. Turns out that Mrs. Snowflake is the aunt of the groom. The wedding was supposed to be for immediate family and closest friends only. The only family invited were parents, grandparents, aunt & uncles (and husbands/wives of aunts/uncles, but NOT the cousins). Bride & groom only had invited their 2-3 closest friends, outside of family. So having us there was a HUGE strain on the menu planned (it was a very fancy catered meal), as well as was deeply awkward, since we obviously stuck out.

I found this all out because MoB didn't realize that I was in the bathroom when she was freaking out about it to someone nearby. Turns out, Mrs. Snowflake is well-known for not understanding the concept that being invited to something doesn't mean that her son is automatically invited. It was deliberately said within Mrs. Snowflake's hearing that the wedding was VERY small, and that no cousins were invited. MoB was complaining that she *knew* someone should have point-blank told Mrs. Snowflake that her son wasn't invited, but that bride had been worried about Mrs. Snowflake making a scene if they pointedly told her that her son wasn't invited, so they didn't.

I spent most of my time there skulking around the yard/in the car, as I had absolutely no idea what to do, and was totally mortified. Mrs & Mr Snowflake & my BF kept trying to convince me to join the festivities, and I kept saying that I didn't feel well & wanted to stay in the car, away from everybody, so I wouldn't get them sick.

In retrospect, now that I have more experience in the world, I don't know what I would have done, but I probably wouldn't have skulked around outside. Maybe put on my best face and tried to stay unobtrusively in the background? Although there really wasn't much in the way of "background" with such a small wedding, so...I dunno.

At least now I'd have a cell phone, so I could theoretically call someone to come get me.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

missmolly

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2014, 04:01:53 PM »
Not me, but when my brother was 19 he was convinced by his friend Marty that he should go to Marty's sister Lizzie's wedding as his +1. Marty told him that he originally wanted to invite his new GF Kay, but she had a conflicting event, so Bro could just take her place. Bro was unsure, but he decided to go along.

After the ceremony, the family were very polite to Bro, but he could see that they were barely disguising their annoyance with Marty. At the reception he was put on a table with about three other guests, what he realised was the 'leftover' table. Later in the evening he caught up with Marty and told him point blank that it was obvious that he wasn't invited. Marty, (pretty drunk at this stage) admitted that he was pushing for them to invite Kay to the wedding, but his sister and parents refused as they had only been dating a few weeks, and space was already really limited. Had Kay not had a prior commitment that weekend, Marty had planned to bring her anyway, but I guess he wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to stick it to his family.
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2014, 09:29:18 AM »
This happened a few weeks ago.

I received what turned out to be a forwarded Evite from someone I know through Meetup.  The party host was another person I knew from a group they both ran (which I had just taken over from her).  She said she hoped I could come.  I scanned the invitation (the guest list was completely visible) and didn't see my name or notice anything about +1's.  I e-mailed her back that I didn't appear to be on the guest list so I didn't think it would be appropriate.  She contacted the host who then added me to the guest list.  Some of the others from that group were also invited but a few had declined and the others hadn't yet replied.

About half the invited guests actually came to the party and I ended up having a good time; it was filled with good conversation.  However, upon arrival the host made a point of telling this woman "Look, Venus is here" and I wondered what that was about.  The next day she sent me an e-mail thanking me for coming.  I finally realized that she probably didn't know any of the other guests who were present and may have been uncomfortable because of that.

I still feel weird about this.

mlmama

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2014, 02:44:20 AM »
I accidentally did this to my SO. We had an Employee Appreciation day at my job. The last one we had, family was invited along with the employee. Not so with this one. He made the best of it, everyone was nice, but he was the only non-employee there. He said, "Never again." I said, "I understand." I felt so bad, I really thought it was like the one before.