News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 07, 2016, 04:17:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Seasons greetings -- another question about cards  (Read 5707 times)

Yvaine

Re: Seasons greetings -- another question about cards
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2015, 06:01:47 AM »

I've always wondered what work the UK and Australia use to group "the days used to observe a special event". I know government sites will refer to "public holidays" but I dont' think I've ever heard some refer to Australian Day or Anzac Day as "holidays" the way we will refer to Thanksgiving or 4th of July.

We just don't have one. I don't know why.

Maybe it's just because all those days have such different purposes, and we don't 'celebrate' some of them as much as we 'observe' them. 'Holiday' seems like the wrong word for Anzac Day, or Remembrance Day for example.

I guess the need to refer to all those days collectively doesn't arise that often. Except here, obviously, where it would be very useful!

A lot of ours are more "observed" though, too. I remember a thread a few years ago where someone asked if Americans get sick of all the celebrating, thinking that we had a big bash for every day that's marked on the calendar. But we have somber ones too, and we have others that people just don't take all that seriously.

The origin of "holiday" is "holy day," and it's not totally accurate, because not everything we call a holiday is religious in nature--but one thing that does remain from the original definition, I think, is that there's no requirement that a holiday be "happy." It's a day that's set apart for one reason or another, though the reasons (and the type of observance) vary.

;D That was me!

In my defence, I follow a lot of cookie decorating blogs where once a fortnight there's a 'holiday' theme to them. I do realise that's the whole point of decorating cookies - you guys just seemed to have a lot more days that are marked/observed/celebrated than we do.  Maybe the sugar has gone to my head, though.

I can definitely see that having a collective name for all those days would be handy. I don't know why we don't have one. Definitely a short-coming in Australian English, much as I would usually defend it. :)

Ah! Well, I think that a cookie decorating blog, or also something like a home decor blog, will skew toward mentioning a lot of holidays that aren't a big deal. A lot of times, people who have baking or home decor as a favorite hobby will use lesser holidays as an "excuse" to practice their hobby. Like...we don't necessarily do anything for Groundhog Day, it's just something that might be mentioned in passing, but hobby bakers definitely make some cute groundhog cookies.

Lynn2000

« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2015, 11:10:31 AM »
I'm always a bit torn on this.  My mom was Jewish (she recently converted) and her family is Jewish.  When we make a Christmas card every year, it's a religious card, but it has photos of our kids.  I know that my grandmother and aunt like to receive it, even though it's not "their" holiday, but I'm never quite sure about my uncle (aunt's brother, not husband), cousin, etc.  Is it better to leave them off the list, or send them a card that's religious?  And honestly, the card took *hours* to design and I don't think I'd want to try to do a different version of it, plus Chanukah isn't the Jewish Christmas so it would seem a bit odd to *make* a Chanukah version of it even if I do sometimes celebrate it myself, so there doesn't seem much point in *sending* a card if it isn't a Christmas card.  I should ask them directly at some point (probably my cousin, as he'd tell me honestly without being too bothered one way or the other).

If the photos of the kids are separate (like photos you would put in a frame), could you pop them into a generic "seasons greetings" card that you bought at Wal-mart or wherever? That way you don't have to actually make a separate card. And if anyone says, "Hey, why didn't I get the fancy personalized card someone else got?" then you have their answer--they weren't offended to receive it, so you can put them back on the original list.

If there's someone you can ask, like your cousin, I would just do that as a first step, though. I think it's hard to ask some people, though, as they might feel pressured to answer a certain way. If you don't hear complaints about your current way of doing things I probably wouldn't change anything, if the change is difficult (like if the photos are printed directly in the card).

Ah! Well, I think that a cookie decorating blog, or also something like a home decor blog, will skew toward mentioning a lot of holidays that aren't a big deal. A lot of times, people who have baking or home decor as a favorite hobby will use lesser holidays as an "excuse" to practice their hobby. Like...we don't necessarily do anything for Groundhog Day, it's just something that might be mentioned in passing, but hobby bakers definitely make some cute groundhog cookies.

Oh yeah. Anytime you have crafts or baking or something like that, people can do cute themes around holidays that aren't really a big deal to the general population. Or if you go by what students do in school, especially elementary school (the youngest grades)--I remember we had decorations and activities for everything. For example, Presidents Day (mid-February) is a day off school and the mail doesn't get delivered, but no one really has parties or parades or decorates or anything like that. (It's to honor our first president, George Washington, and sometimes other presidents like Lincoln.) Unless of course you're a schoolchild, then you're coloring pictures of cherry trees and silver dollars (symbols associated with Washington).

And you can buy greeting cards for just about any holiday, even the ones where 99% of people don't send cards. If someone finds end-of-the-year cards too complicated, I think it would be cool to adopt a lesser holiday, and send cards for it. That would be unexpected and memorable.
~Lynn2000

songbird

« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2016, 07:46:58 AM »
Small update.  Boyfriend's best friend did not receive a card for a specific holiday, he received a generic "season's greetings" card.  and chastised the person who sent it for not sending a holiday-specific card.

KenveeB

« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2016, 08:13:04 AM »
Small update.  Boyfriend's best friend did not receive a card for a specific holiday, he received a generic "season's greetings" card.  and chastised the person who sent it for not sending a holiday-specific card.

So he's letting us all know he's just a jerk and should be removed from the card list in the future, then? Sheesh, why do people look for offense so much these days?

Lynn2000

« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2016, 09:39:55 AM »

Yikes. I would actually be glad if someone told me that, though. It's a quick fix to cross them off my holiday card list for next year. Might as well go ahead and scratch them from my address book and Friends list also... It's one thing to express a personal discomfort to a close friend, quite another to "chastise" someone!

Holiday cards are a weird thing. I sent out about 45 this year, and got about a dozen in return. The situation that gets me, is when I send a card to Betty, and Betty sends a card to my parents. Betty doesn't send a card to me, nor do my parents send cards to anyone! It's just tradition, some people pull out their list every year and don't bother to update or revamp.

I spent a lot of the weekend scanning old cards I've received, so I can throw the originals away. It was nice to see all the greetings from people over the years.
~Lynn2000

Auntbee81

« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2016, 03:02:03 PM »
I have to agree with Lynn2000.  We send out around 60 cards.  We received about 35 (including simple newsletters - no card).  I am always happy to see how people of doing, and to remember good friends, even if I rarely see them.  It doesn't take away from the wonderful memories we shared when we were not separated by distance.  However, if I don't get return cards, I do "edit" my list for the next year.  It is an increasing anachronistic custom, but one I cannot give up.  I have fond memories of my grandparents reading their cards, and then putting them up in their house as Christmas decorations.  But, if I knew someone was offended by my card, I would certainly want to know, so that I would not continue the offense. 

My closet childhood friend, some years back, wrote that the card I sent was "way too informative", so I don't send one anymore.  Of course, she could have just said that she did not want to continue to receive this card, without going into detail (too much information - for me).  I took this as "I am not interested in you or your life.  Please don't bore me anymore".  Done and done!

Lynn2000

« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2016, 03:10:01 PM »
My closet childhood friend, some years back, wrote that the card I sent was "way too informative", so I don't send one anymore.  Of course, she could have just said that she did not want to continue to receive this card, without going into detail (too much information - for me).  I took this as "I am not interested in you or your life.  Please don't bore me anymore".  Done and done!

Ouch! I'm not saying someone has to just grin and bear it if another person is sending them something offensive and hurtful. But I think there must be a better way to go about bringing it up, than the examples we've seen here (Auntbee81 and the OP, specifically), which are equally offensive and hurtful to the card senders.

Maybe you wait until June and then say, "You know, I don't really understand holiday cards in general, I don't really like them much," and hope your friend gets the message?
~Lynn2000