Author Topic: How to turn away carolers  (Read 596 times)

TeamBhakta

How to turn away carolers
« on: Yesterday at 10:30:10 PM »
I was reading about Christmas carolers on another site and this occurred to me: How does one politely let carolers know "Please move on to the next house" ? For instance, if their singing is distracting you from watching your favorite show or will wake up your baby. Also, if carolers show up while you happen to be in the front yard, is it rude to just walk away and shut the door, or are you obliged to thank them first, sit through a few bars, etc ?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: How to turn away carolers
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 10:37:16 PM »
I think if they're going to wake the baby, you go wave them off.

Otherwise, you

If you're in your yard, you lift your hand in a combo wave/stop gesture, and say, "No thanks!"

I think it is rude to just walk away from them without speaking and close the door. They're offering to do what they think is a nice thing.

Just say, "no, thanks!"

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:59:17 PM »
I probably just wouldn't answer my door. If I was outside maybe isten to the first song and then say "Thanks, have a great night!" and go in?

TaterTot

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:57:45 PM »
Are they caroling to collect for a charity or trying to deliver a religious message? Honestly, I haven't seen carolers in literally decades. Unfortunately, it may be risky to carol unless you are in a safe neighborhood and if you are certain if the carols will be well received (may not be the case if you live in a multi-religious neighborhood). 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:02:51 AM »
Traditionally, carolers don't raise money or charge. They do it for fun, and to please people.

They're often organized by church groups, nowadays.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:17:47 AM »
I probably just wouldn't answer my door. If I was outside maybe isten to the first song and then say "Thanks, have a great night!" and go in?

I wouldn't be outside inless sweeping snow, so just wouldn't answer the door.

poundcake

« Reply #6 on: Today at 06:18:11 AM »
I've never had carollers ring the doorbell or knock. When I used to go carolling, we'd just pause outside of houses in a neighborhood and, if no one opened a door in half a song, we'd move on. If they knock, much like w ToTers, you don't have to answer. But otherwise, if you need them to move on, I think opening the door, giving a smile and wave, then closing the door again would do the trick.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #7 on: Today at 08:21:53 AM »
As a young adult, we mostly carolled in nursing homes. But when I was much younger I recall going carolling in the neighbourhood and we stopped and knocked at certain doors and they came out to listen. They were church members and I think they might have been warned ahead of time.

I think the advice so far is sound. You don't have to answer the door. If they come by when you are outside, give a wave and a smile and go in. I have sometimes heard of people asking for donations, but if you don't answer the door, they can't ask!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: Today at 08:30:40 AM »
Don't answer the door. Possibly shut off outside lights.