News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 19, 2017, 10:38:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thanksgiving 2017  (Read 1922 times)

JacklynHyde

Re: Thanksgiving 2017
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2017, 05:22:55 PM »
Honestly, up in the air this year, plan-wise. The last two years, we've spent Thanksgiving with friends. We bring the turkey (holy heck, can my husband smoke a bird) and a cornbread, and everyone else brings sides and desserts. The host lost his wife just over two years ago, so this is something we originally started to support him. However, my husband's stepmother has been battling Stage 2 breast cancer, and we may need to alter our usual plans to support her and my FIL. The problem has been letting my husband handle talking with his father has been an exercise in non-communication (nothing dramatic, just forgetfulness). I'm not as close with my step-MIL as I used to be due to her previous behavior, but I will do whatever makes people happy.

Luci

Re: Thanksgiving 2017
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2017, 08:07:49 PM »
For 15 years, we served DHís extended family Thanksgiving dinner, so as people died and others were married and born we had between 35 and 40. Even in 2015, when I was barely out of the hospital and nursing home, we served smoked turkey sandwiches on paper plates, and everyone came! Last year was normal. But now we have moved 3 hours away so have only invited 16 for this year. Thatís kids, grandkids, a new husband  and a new SO.  DGS#2 is home from college! I am also depending on the invited to bring everything but the turkey and potatoes. Iím excited to see what they bring.

Instead of a beautiful basement with bar, pool table, and lots of seating for football tv and lots of light from the patio door, theyíll have an unfinished whitewashed basement and my tiny tv I watch while using my exercise bike.

Iím a terrible cook. People come to be together and the nice service and decorations from so many years that makes them feel like Thanksgiving. It will all work out. But tradition and family is what itís all about for us.