Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 220362 times)

cwm

Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #1050 on: December 24, 2013, 11:16:33 AM »
Hi Glitter's hill! *waves happily* I've got my own hill tonight.

I'm not a people person, really. I don't do crowds. Tonight is boyfriend's grandparents' house. Tomorrow afternoon/evening is his aunt's house. Big family, lots of people that I don't know, and I don't like it.

Sunday some friends were over to BF's and the girl pretty much tried to invite herself (but not her husband) over for the afternoon. She said she'd be working on our side of town (please note, she lives about five minutes away, so it's not like she'll be any closer than she usually is) and what time are we leaving for the holiday? Oh, 7:30? Great! She'll just stop by after work and hang out for a few hours.

BF wisely didn't say anything commital, just that we'd see. If he asks me, I'm saying no. If he doesn't ask me (and it's his house, so it's his choice) I'll go to the bedroom and stay in there. Not going to entertain someone I don't want to before dealing with lots of other people. Nope. No way. Put me in a room of strangers, that's one thing, it's a family celebration, but I'm not making myself uncomfortable if I don't have to.

GreenHall

« Reply #1051 on: December 24, 2013, 11:18:11 AM »
I just did the math in my head.  Despite the fact that Halloween seems a long time ago (almost two months) to attend 12 parties since then is more than a party a week for the last two months.  As an introvert, that sounds horrendous. 

Enjoy your beverage, and your quiet, lounging day.  Tell your mom the internet told you to :)

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #1052 on: December 24, 2013, 11:26:08 AM »
I just did the math in my head.  Despite the fact that Halloween seems a long time ago (almost two months) to attend 12 parties since then is more than a party a week for the last two months.  As an introvert, that sounds horrendous. 

Enjoy your beverage, and your quiet, lounging day.  Tell your mom the internet told you to :)

Lol, I'm gonna have to try that, it might slow down the texts long enough for her to think about it.

It's been pretty party heavy, some smaller then others, but for me it's draining. People always think I'm an extrovert because I can be very social and outgoing, and this is where people always think introvert=shy, but I need my downtime, I need to recharge, and I need to not interact with people for awhile. I'm cool with the dogs, but they don't expect much out of me. Just some ear scratching and maybe a little tug of the toys.

GreenHall

« Reply #1053 on: December 24, 2013, 12:27:19 PM »
I'm an introvert with social anxiety.  So not only is being around people draining, contemplating being around others is possibly even more draining.  (It is amazing what a diagnosis of Social Anxiety did for me, not the least making me NOTICE that it's actually more draining for me thinking about going to socialize than the actual socialization...)

heartmug

« Reply #1054 on: December 24, 2013, 12:32:06 PM »
I'm an introvert with social anxiety.  So not only is being around people draining, contemplating being around others is possibly even more draining.  (It is amazing what a diagnosis of Social Anxiety did for me, not the least making me NOTICE that it's actually more draining for me thinking about going to socialize than the actual socialization...)

Me too.  I do things to please my kids (getting together with relatives for example) but once that nest is empty it is ME time!  P.J.s all day and movies too.

A friend recommended a book to me, that I have not read yet, and I think it is called "The Power of an Introvert" and I need to read it because my bro cannot understand why I don't think his big too-many-people parties are so much fun.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

weeblewobble

« Reply #1055 on: December 24, 2013, 12:39:59 PM »
If they want to meet you so dang badly; why did they wait until 24 hours before the party to invite you?

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #1056 on: December 24, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »
If they want to meet you so dang badly; why did they wait until 24 hours before the party to invite you?

Right! My mom told me a few weeks ago she was attending this party so she wasn't sure she'd be able to come over and see us. Which is fine, we're seeing her tomorrow. And then yesterday "Glitter must come!", no thank you. Glitter has plans involving this this lovely glass of eggnog she made.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1057 on: December 24, 2013, 01:03:16 PM »

Right! My mom told me a few weeks ago she was attending this party so she wasn't sure she'd be able to come over and see us. Which is fine, we're seeing her tomorrow. And then yesterday "Glitter must come!", no thank you. Glitter has plans involving this this lovely glass of eggnog she made.

And presumably the living room couch as well. I know my plans for the day feature the living room couch quite prominently. :)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1058 on: December 24, 2013, 02:44:33 PM »
I've found a hill this year, right when I thought there wasn't going to be one.

I'm not going to let anyone make me feel guilty for the size/monetary value of our Christmas gifts this year.  I just started working again after three months of unemployment - which means money to buy gifts was dang slim!  We've done the best we could, but most of the gifts we bought were under $12 in price.  I made some gifts as well, and we ended up opting out of some gift exchanges as being too pricey.  No one said anything until Sunday, when we were at a family party and said we weren't doing the draw gifts.  No less than 4 people came up to us and questioned us about it - they all said something along the lines of "How could you?  It was ONLY $15 per gift!  I can't believe you didn't bring anything!!!".  Sorry, that's $30 that we can use for gas to get to work, or for groceries, or to renew our dog's registration. 

Now I'm looking at everyone else's gifts and wondering if all of them are going to be thinking about price and such too.  :-[

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1059 on: December 24, 2013, 02:49:23 PM »

...   Now I'm looking at everyone else's gifts and wondering if all of them are going to be thinking about price and such too.  :-[

If they do, that's their problem, not yours.  The amount of money spent on gifts is really not what Christmas is all about!

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #1060 on: December 24, 2013, 02:56:55 PM »
...   Now I'm looking at everyone else's gifts and wondering if all of them are going to be thinking about price and such too.  :-[

If they do, that's their problem, not yours.  The amount of money spent on gifts is really not what Christmas is all about!

Here, here! And shame on them for thinking about how much something costs, and now how much love and time went in to picking out/making their gift!

cwm

« Reply #1061 on: December 24, 2013, 03:02:20 PM »

Here, here! And shame on them for thinking about how much something costs, and now how much love and time went in to picking out/making their gift!

Amen! I stopped caring about how much I spent on Christmas years ago, when I was a poor college student. As long as I can make someone smile or wow them with the thought, it makes me happy.

That's why I bake cinnamon rolls for co-workers every year. Christmas Eve I bring them in, and it makes everyone's day better.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1062 on: December 24, 2013, 03:13:30 PM »

Amen! I stopped caring about how much I spent on Christmas years ago, when I was a poor college student. As long as I can make someone smile or wow them with the thought, it makes me happy.

That's why I bake cinnamon rolls for co-workers every year. Christmas Eve I bring them in, and it makes everyone's day better.

I worry. I know that my brothers spend about a hundred bucks a kid on each other's kids, and probably a lot more on their own. The extended relatives spend a fair bit as well (not many kids in the family - they get spoiled). They expect everyone to spend that much. I can't do that. So I look like the Grinch on Christmas morning with my little cheap gifts. :(

I can't do anything about it though. The money just isn't there.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

weeblewobble

« Reply #1063 on: December 24, 2013, 03:23:35 PM »
My family is sick.  Three of us have the flu, confirmed by tests, and are taking Tamiflu. I am the last lady standing, taking care of everybody.  It's like Apocalypse Now, but with more Kleenex.  Since DH and the kids are still in the contagious stage, until Thursday, WE ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE TODAY.  Which means we're missing out on the traditional gathering for DH's family tonight.  Six seniors in DH's family are considered "high risk" for flu infection.  There are two small toddlers.  And one adult just got out of the hospital with a serious infection.

We will not attend the gathering.  In any combination.  I won't go without DH and the kids.  DD (who was infected first) won't go without us since she's less likely to infect the others.  We. Will. Not. Go.

I feel really bad about it.  i keep hearing, "Oh, but everybody will be so disappointed" and "It's tradition," but not giving immuno-compromised people a potentially fatal illness is dealbreaker for me. And I hate saying no to DH's Mom, but she keeps proposing alternatives and it's stressing me out.  I love her.  And she's normally so understanding.  But if someone doesn't airlift me some Lysol and Scotch, I'm going to end up on the news.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:25:10 PM by weeblewobble »

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1064 on: December 24, 2013, 03:26:59 PM »
They expect everyone to spend that much. I can't do that. So I look like the Grinch on Christmas morning with my little cheap gifts. :(

I can't do anything about it though. The money just isn't there.

Then they're going to have to alter their expectations! 

Don't spend money you don't have on kids who probably won't appreciate it anyway.  A small inexpensive gift is just fine and may actually be more loved because it's something the big spenders probably wouldn't have even thought of getting (or making). 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:28:38 PM by gramma dishes »