Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 237212 times)

whatsanenigma

Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #1065 on: December 24, 2013, 03:28:07 PM »
My family is sick.  Three of us have the flu, confirmed by tests, and are taking Tamiflu. I am the last lady standing, taking care of everybody.  It's like Apocalypse Now, but with more Kleenex.  Since DH and the kids are still in the contagious stage, until Thursday, WE ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE TODAY.  Which means we're missing out on the traditional gathering for DH's family tonight.  Six seniors in DH's family are considered "high risk" for flu infection.  There are two small toddlers.  And one adult just got out of the hospital with a serious infection.

We will not attend the gathering.  In any combination.  I won't go without DH and the kids.  DD (who was infected first) won't go without us since she's less likely to infect the others.  We. Will. Not. Go.

I feel really bad about it.  i keep hearing, "Oh, but everybody will be so disappointed" and "It's tradition," but not giving immuno-compromised people a potentially fatal illness is dealbreaker for me. And I hate saying no to DH's Mom, but she keeps proposing alternatives and it's stressing me out.  I love her.  And she's normally so understanding.  But if someone doesn't airlift me some Lysol and Scotch, I'm going to end up on the news.

And I highly suspect that if you did go and someone else got sick, you would be criticized for going to the party even though you knew you were sick, and therefore the other person's illness was due to your selfishness anyway.

It's really hard to win in that kind of situation-good for you for sticking to your guns and staying home.

I hope you all feel better soon!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1066 on: December 24, 2013, 06:42:24 PM »
My family is sick.  Three of us have the flu, confirmed by tests, and are taking Tamiflu. I am the last lady standing, taking care of everybody.  It's like Apocalypse Now, but with more Kleenex.  Since DH and the kids are still in the contagious stage, until Thursday, WE ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE TODAY.  Which means we're missing out on the traditional gathering for DH's family tonight.  Six seniors in DH's family are considered "high risk" for flu infection.  There are two small toddlers.  And one adult just got out of the hospital with a serious infection.

We will not attend the gathering.  In any combination.  I won't go without DH and the kids.  DD (who was infected first) won't go without us since she's less likely to infect the others.  We. Will. Not. Go.

I feel really bad about it.  i keep hearing, "Oh, but everybody will be so disappointed" and "It's tradition," but not giving immuno-compromised people a potentially fatal illness is dealbreaker for me. And I hate saying no to DH's Mom, but she keeps proposing alternatives and it's stressing me out.  I love her.  And she's normally so understanding.  But if someone doesn't airlift me some Lysol and Scotch, I'm going to end up on the news.

And I highly suspect that if you did go and someone else got sick, you would be criticized for going to the party even though you knew you were sick, and therefore the other person's illness was due to your selfishness anyway.

It's really hard to win in that kind of situation-good for you for sticking to your guns and staying home.

I hope you all feel better soon!
healing thoughts to you and yours, weeblewobble.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dr. F.

« Reply #1067 on: December 24, 2013, 07:06:07 PM »
I apologize for bringing up the Christmas songs again, but I was reminded of another one that is a hill for me.

The horrible "Nooooo Snooooooow" song. I have no idea what the name is. I don't care. It's a horrible song. I heard it today at the grocery as I was picking up last-minute ingredients. Man, that's a horrible song!

Have I mentioned it's horrible? WHY does anyone play this song?

Apologies to anyone who likes it, but, why?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1068 on: December 24, 2013, 09:06:01 PM »
My hill just rose today, and I am happily sitting atop it now with a glass bottle of wine.

I will not be guilted into cooking any more food for christmas.  What started as a breakfast/brunch with extended family and xmas dinner at individual homes has now morphed into a full day event with Breakfast/brunch food in the morning and a seafood themed lunch/dinner menu for those who are planning on staying all day long.

I am bringing my brunch options, staying until noon or so and then going home.  If I stay, I'll end up in the kitchen cooking while the lazy people get drunk and complain about the food.  I have an appointment with a dry aged strip steak, lobster tail, roasted potatoes, and several bottles of wine on xmas at 5pm.  I will not break that appointment for anyone.  Especially not this family

Petticoats

« Reply #1069 on: December 24, 2013, 10:00:36 PM »
Wishing strength and success to all those who have found their hills... and PastryGoddess's sounds like a delicious hill that I'd like to share!

And Weeblewobble, you win the thread for this:

It's like Apocalypse Now, but with more Kleenex.

Here's hoping for health for all of you, and fast!

Tea Drinker

« Reply #1070 on: December 24, 2013, 10:29:52 PM »

I think your script here is "Mom, I love my relatives. That's why I won't risk killing any of them. Give them my love, please."

[If the suggested alternative becomes "call the party and say hello to everyone," whether to agree would be a matter of your energy levels, but it wouldn't risk infecting anyone.]
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

CaffeineKatie

« Reply #1071 on: December 24, 2013, 10:40:25 PM »
I'm so sorry to see you and your family are sick, weeblewobble, but I love your post!  Thanks for the laugh, and yes, you would be damned as Typhoid Mary if you did go.  Stop answering the phone, maybe?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1072 on: December 24, 2013, 10:45:16 PM »
Weeble, glad you are sticking to your decision.

DH is run down, ill, what have you and he stayed far away from the people at church tonight.

My hill is my in-laws. I had planned Christmas lunch, and found out that they have a ham and turkey in addition to the full meal DH and I cook every year. No, I am just making dessert this time. It would have been nice to know. DS leaves 12/26 and there is a lot of food in this house for two people.

Library Dragon

« Reply #1073 on: December 24, 2013, 11:06:54 PM »
My hill? Rudolph the song and any other related items aren't allowed in my home. If I can avoid outside I will.  I find it a horrible message. If you're different you have to prove your worthiness/value to be accepted. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1074 on: December 24, 2013, 11:09:02 PM »
...   Now I'm looking at everyone else's gifts and wondering if all of them are going to be thinking about price and such too.  :-[

If they do, that's their problem, not yours.  The amount of money spent on gifts is really not what Christmas is all about!

Here, here! And shame on them for thinking about how much something costs, and now how much love and time went in to picking out/making their gift!

Amen! I stopped caring about how much I spent on Christmas years ago, when I was a poor college student. As long as I can make someone smile or wow them with the thought, it makes me happy.

That's why I bake cinnamon rolls for co-workers every year. Christmas Eve I bring them in, and it makes everyone's day better.

I worry. I know that my brothers spend about a hundred bucks a kid on each other's kids, and probably a lot more on their own. The extended relatives spend a fair bit as well (not many kids in the family - they get spoiled). They expect everyone to spend that much. I can't do that. So I look like the Grinch on Christmas morning with my little cheap gifts. :(

I can't do anything about it though. The money just isn't there.

I'm feeling a little nervous about the gift-giving, too.  See, we *do* have the money to spend much more on Christmas.  But we chose not to, because we don't want the focus to be on gifts.  So we keep it to about $50 per kid (less for the youngest ones), and $30 for parents/in-laws.  Both my in-laws and my parents generally seem to have higher budgets.  I don't want to come across as ungrateful, but we really don't want to make presents an expensive priority, you know?  Surely since it's been the same every year, they're able to see the level we gift at and tone theirs down if they choose to, right?  I'm also a bit worried about the fact that we have one present for my dad and 4 for my mom.  His actually costs more, but it's not a super exciting present, and I'm worried that it will come across like we spent more time/effort on hers.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1075 on: December 24, 2013, 11:47:03 PM »
I went to the doctor a week ago yesterday.

VorGuy & VorSon went Thursday.  VorSon went to the ER Sunday (four hours of my life that I will never get back). 

We are staying home for Christmas.  No relatives over the age of seventy, no relatives who are immune suppressed, and no toddlers means it was a good thing that we met Ambrosia Hino, WonderfulSIL, and WonderfulGS in Florida for Thanksgiving - because they are visiting my parents (VorGuy's parents are older and a little more paranoid after a recent scare with his dad - his niece has recently been diagnosed with asthma and is not feeling well at the moment). 

They did stop by Lil Sis's house to see her, her husband, and his mother (long story - new widow spending time with her only child this holiday season) - but didn't drop by our house....

Being sick is no fun.  Knowing I'd passed it along to elderly family members would be so much less fun that I'm not even going to try to visit anyone else.

The presents are put away and we are NOT opening that closet until after we're well again (and I may end up using Lysol on things as I pack them to mail next week).  Just to be sure that nothing gets sent in the mail with the presents....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

BarensMom

« Reply #1076 on: December 25, 2013, 01:44:09 AM »
I finally hit the rock face of my hill this season.  I swear to deity, I will not participate in any more Secret Santas.  Every time I'm coerced into one of these exchanges, I try to find a nice gift (often going over budget) for my chosen person, only to receive something like a box of Kleenex, 96 bags of green tea, or some other obviously re-gifted junk item that shows no thought or consideration.  I always feel hurt and insulted, compounded by the necessity of pretending to be a good sport.  Nuh-uh, no more.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #1077 on: December 25, 2013, 04:27:13 AM »
The person who changed the arrangements without telling us? Didn't tell anybody else either, so I put my foot in it by mentioning a gathering to the person who didn't know she was hosting it. Only last night we discovered that he had changed the arrangements again, so she wasn't hosting. Hadn't told either her or us. Now that arrangement has been reinstated... I think... but with an additional gathering somewhere else not involving us. I suppose you could say that at least they haven't been guilty of discussing an event in front of us to which we aren't invited but I can't say that their attitude of 'we want to see everybody at Christmas except you... by the way, here's our children's wish list' is endearing them to me.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1078 on: December 25, 2013, 09:05:18 AM »
I finally hit the rock face of my hill this season.  I swear to deity, I will not participate in any more Secret Santas.  Every time I'm coerced into one of these exchanges, I try to find a nice gift (often going over budget) for my chosen person, only to receive something like a box of Kleenex, 96 bags of green tea, or some other obviously re-gifted junk item that shows no thought or consideration.  I always feel hurt and insulted, compounded by the necessity of pretending to be a good sport.  Nuh-uh, no more.

It's a wonderful life without Secret Santas. Hope you can stick to it!

I dropped grab bag participation several years ago, as well as drawing names, too.

It is even better.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #1079 on: December 25, 2013, 09:24:26 AM »
My hill? Rudolph the song and any other related items aren't allowed in my home. If I can avoid outside I will.  I find it a horrible message. If you're different you have to prove your worthiness/value to be accepted.

Wow, finally somebody who sees the same message I see in that program.  Rudolph is only accepted by the other deer and by Santa when he proves he can be useful to them.  Santa is really mean, too.  It's the antithesis of everything Christmas is supposed to represent.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical