Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 291328 times)

Library Dragon

Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #1095 on: December 25, 2013, 10:38:43 PM »
A couple of days ago I heard a version of Rudolph that had an added verse.  When all the reindeer decide they love Rudolph, he says something like, "Hey look, you laughed at me, called me names, and wouldn't let me join in your games.  You behaved horribly and hurt my feelings.  I can't forget about that and be buddies all of a sudden".  The other reindeer apologize profusely, and Rudolph forgives them.

I don't know the artist, but if I figure it out, I'll update.

That sounds interesting. I would be willing to give it a listen.

I'm glad I'm not the only one not seeing the "cute".  Now, don't get me started on Rainbow Fish.  >:(

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

LeveeWoman

« Reply #1096 on: December 25, 2013, 11:15:11 PM »
My hill? Rudolph the song and any other related items aren't allowed in my home. If I can avoid outside I will.  I find it a horrible message. If you're different you have to prove your worthiness/value to be accepted.

I've carried this with me from the time I first saw it, until now.

dingdangity-skippy, this is a horrific message.

However, it is not the only message.

The reality is that life is not fair, that we're gonna' get screwed over by people who have more power than we have.

That's a fact, Jack.

But, the message I like is that we must hold to our beliefs, that we must fight and persevere. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1097 on: December 25, 2013, 11:57:03 PM »
My hill? Rudolph the song and any other related items aren't allowed in my home. If I can avoid outside I will.  I find it a horrible message. If you're different you have to prove your worthiness/value to be accepted.

I know a version of the song that addresses this, and if you'll remind me I will post the details tomorrow.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #1098 on: December 26, 2013, 01:06:20 AM »
This year was not going broke on tickets and scrambling to find a pet sitter and somebody to take care of my very sensitive experiments for me.

I got to go to my preferred Christmas service, wake up in my own giant and super comfy bed, had a delightful brunch with friends, dinner with more friends and now I'm sipping champagne while watching my favorite Christmas movies.

Was it as good as being with my family? In many ways, no, but in almost as many, yes.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #1099 on: December 26, 2013, 01:19:33 AM »
My hill is to quit feeling guilty about giving Gift Certificates instead of "real" presents.

I suck at gift giving. I hate shopping. I am not "crafty". My memory and imagination desert me entirely at any hint of a deadline.

I do not begrudge a dime of money or a moment of time spent on my loved ones, but I do begrudge the stress caused by attempting to find something that fits my budget, their tastes, and a box by a specific date. It just isn't my talent/skill/thing.

So the new rule is that if something doesn't throw itself in my path saying, "Sis/Mom would love this!" I'm gift carding. With love, affection, and a complete and utter lack of guilt.

Since you and PPs have been stressing about gifts, I thought I would just leave this link here. Interesting, funny (NSFW site), and thought/debate-provoking. ;)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1100 on: December 26, 2013, 01:34:50 AM »
I did a pretty good job of defending my hill of not caving into family pressure to hang out all day and forgo the household dinner that was planned.  Also, I will not stay in the kitchen all morning, while the lazy relatives sit on their behind and talk about me.

Before Thanksgiving, the family came up with a plan:  Big extended family Thanksgiving at my aunt's house, Christmas Breakfast/brunch at my cousins, Dinner at home with your own family.  I enthusiastically agreed.

2 weeks after T-day, the aunts are talking about dinner at the cousins... ??? ..goes me
Turns out, some people want to stay all day and so they are thinking about bringing food over there.  I'm assured that we'll still have dinner at home
I make plans to cook brunchy stuff and figure out our X-mas dinner (surf and turf)

This time last week, the menu has expanded to look like a traditional big family dinner.  I ask again, and am told; yes we are still having dinner at home, just the 3 of us.  I purchase our meal fixins.

Last night, massive amounts of food is being prepared in the kitchen.  I asked what time we would be eating on X-mas.  We agree on 6pm.

X-mas day we go over to cousins house for breakfast.  I remind aunt and grandpa that dinner is at 6. I leave there at 1:30  Visit mom, go home and get sides made.  3pm...they are still there and helping to cook. 4pm..still there and cooking.  5pm...I call and say that food is going in the oven and steamer.  530pm...phone call saying "on the way"  ::)   5:45...another phone call swearing they are in the car and on the way.   5:55...they walk in the door.  6pm...dinner comes out of the oven and steamer and goes on the table.

faithlessone

« Reply #1101 on: December 26, 2013, 03:19:28 AM »

I know a version of the song that addresses this, and if you'll remind me I will post the details tomorrow.

Is it the Jack Johnson version? That's got this verse at the end:

Well Rudolph he didn't go for that
he said "I see through your silly games"
How could you look me in the face
when only yesterday you called me names?
Well all of the other reindeers man,
well they sure did feel ashamed,
"Rudolph you know we're sorry,
we're truly gonna try to change"

It's my favourite version. :)

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1102 on: December 26, 2013, 07:47:09 AM »
^ I found this last year - it's now the only version of Rudolf allowed in my world. If I had kids, I'd teach them to sing it this way. ;)
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

cattlekid

« Reply #1103 on: December 26, 2013, 10:13:18 AM »
That's a hill I took a long time ago with anyone and everyone, and not just on the holidays.

Just because I work in an IT role doesn't mean that I know anything about your Skype, Kindle, FitBit or any other random bit of consumer tech.  I'd have to puzzle it out just like you would have to do and if I do the puzzling, that means that you aren't learning anything.  You know, that whole "teach a man to fish" thing? 

Why does every visit with in-laws end up with me being their tech support? And why have I had to show them how to download library books 5 times in one year?

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #1104 on: December 26, 2013, 10:34:28 AM »
That's a hill I took a long time ago with anyone and everyone, and not just on the holidays.

Just because I work in an IT role doesn't mean that I know anything about your Skype, Kindle, FitBit or any other random bit of consumer tech.  I'd have to puzzle it out just like you would have to do and if I do the puzzling, that means that you aren't learning anything.  You know, that whole "teach a man to fish" thing? 

Why does every visit with in-laws end up with me being their tech support? And why have I had to show them how to download library books 5 times in one year?
I will perform this function for my grandparents, who are over 70 and who I love dearly. I will perform this function for my mother in law, for the same reasons. Anyone else? Not so much.

I think my new rule on this is 'only if you are over 70 will I help you with tech support'. Rules out the annoying members of my family who know I used to work at AOL (in the 1990s) and so I must be 'the computer sort'.

bloo

« Reply #1105 on: December 26, 2013, 10:42:40 AM »
And why have I had to show them how to download library books 5 times in one year?

Aggravating to be sure but my guess is that they're not paying attention when you show them - they just want you to do it. Apparently they only care to download library books 5x/year (or whenever you visit).  ::)

cwm

« Reply #1106 on: December 26, 2013, 10:48:49 AM »

I will perform this function for my grandparents, who are over 70 and who I love dearly. I will perform this function for my mother in law, for the same reasons. Anyone else? Not so much.

I think my new rule on this is 'only if you are over 70 will I help you with tech support'. Rules out the annoying members of my family who know I used to work at AOL (in the 1990s) and so I must be 'the computer sort'.

I'm lucky with this. My family that does this consists of mom and grandma, and I don't mind helping them because they make a concerted effort to learn. Grandma has papers full of instructions for various things around her computer, it's wonderful.

Boyfriend works in the telecommunications industry (for a major wireless provider doing back-end database monitoring and rollouts of new code patches), and everyone comes to him for everything. He helps his dad for the same reason I help my mom, and he doesn't mind helping people who pay attention and learn, but if it's the same uncle asking the same thing for three visits in a row, he just says point blank "I showed you last time. If you can't figure it out, use the onboard help or look up instructions online."

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #1107 on: December 26, 2013, 11:40:06 AM »
About Rudolph.... why in the cartoon are the other reindeer all adults and he's only a fawn?

Kariachi

« Reply #1108 on: December 26, 2013, 02:50:52 PM »
About Rudolph.... why in the cartoon are the other reindeer all adults and he's only a fawn?

They, aren't-?  :o Rudolph's one of the many fawns in the special, and it's their 'training' games he's not allowed into. The other reindeer on the team are older because he was only brought in out of desperation.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1109 on: December 26, 2013, 03:05:18 PM »
And why have I had to show them how to download library books 5 times in one year?

Aggravating to be sure but my guess is that they're not paying attention when you show them - they just want you to do it. Apparently they only care to download library books 5x/year (or whenever you visit).  ::)

I guess they had an error message pop up the last time they tried (August), and then just stopped trying. All it wanted was the Adobe id for the Freading app. Had them enter the id and the download and reading parts worked fine. What does truly drive me crazy is that I have to pick an available book to download to check and every time, FIL says "I think she already read that one". Well yes, but the new ones aren't available for immediate download!

Sheesh. I showed both of them separately. Again.