News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 11, 2017, 09:49:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 932010 times)

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #2505 on: November 23, 2017, 03:41:02 AM »
I have a new hill. I am not arranging to visit my mother in law. If you are well enough to travel to Europe you are well enough to travel inside the UK. If you are anxious, get a car and driver. Take the journey in stages, stay overnight somewhere. I will visit when I think it is worth the pain of taking a small child on a journey that long. Or when my husband decides it is worth making the effort.

Emmy

Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #2506 on: November 24, 2017, 09:13:56 AM »
Holy Mother of God!  That's a lot of people to have in your home, let alone being expected to cook for them all and seat them all at a table.  I think the last big meal my IL's did involved more than 30 people (might have hit 40, I don't remember) - but they had a living room that spanned the entire area between the original footprint of the home, and the freestanding garage, and was probably more than 50 feet long.  It also involved at least 5 different full size table clothes and at least 5 or 6 tables all laid end to end, and a metric ton of borrowed chairs, and it wasn't a surprise, it was all close family, and food got parceled out in a not-quite-potluck, but not far from potluck, either! 

I think a veritable team of younger men (brothers who don't cook, and the like) who rearranged the dining room, the living room, got the enormous Persian rug out of the living room, etc., and at the end of the night, put the rooms back together properly.  That was all they did, they did no KP.  I and several other people did pies for desert, and other food had long designated persons responsible for each dish.  MIL did the bird and the stuffing.  DH did the mashed potatoes, and in later years, also the gravy.  It was a production..

Glad the friend displayed his spine and got things relocated!

Having them all overnight would also involve breakfast or lunch the next day.  Glad your friend put his foot down.