Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 237128 times)

gingerzing

Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #345 on: November 16, 2012, 01:22:17 PM »
I do, however, feel that there's no excuse for running out of cinnamon at any time.  (I have 2 big things of cinnamon at home, and I have a plastic shaker of cinnamon in my desk drawer at work, for the days that take oatmeal in to eat on my morning break.)

Well, it depends on whether any cinnamon will do, or whether one has developed a taste for Vietnamese cinnamon that's only sold in a tiny store in Murray Hill. (But I tend to obsess. This is why I now have five different kinds of drinking vinegar in the house.)

Heh, I was thinking about the same think. I have 4 containers of cinnamon.  Vietnamese, Ceylon, and two jars of the Penzey blend.  My poor DH has no idea why.

magicdomino

« Reply #346 on: November 16, 2012, 02:44:13 PM »
I do, however, feel that there's no excuse for running out of cinnamon at any time.  (I have 2 big things of cinnamon at home, and I have a plastic shaker of cinnamon in my desk drawer at work, for the days that take oatmeal in to eat on my morning break.)

Well, it depends on whether any cinnamon will do, or whether one has developed a taste for Vietnamese cinnamon that's only sold in a tiny store in Murray Hill. (But I tend to obsess. This is why I now have five different kinds of drinking vinegar in the house.)

But the grocery store has only McCormicks or the store brand.  They barely qualify as cinnamon.

I don't "do" Black Friday either.  Last year, I needed a new computer, and decided to venture out to Staples.  Got there at 7:00 am, only to find that both of the computers that I wanted were sold out to people who were standing in line when the store opened at 6:00 am.  I didn't even bother asking about the external hard drive.

All was not lost, though.  Just for the heck of it, I went across the street to Home Depot, on the off-chance they still had the 99 cent poinsettias.  They did.  Racks upon racks of poinsettias.  Home Depot even still had some plastic cabinets in stock, although an employee had to run all over the store to find an unopened pallet. When I got to the office that morning, I went to Home Depot's website and praised both the employee and the fact that they actually stocked plenty of their sale items.

Then I went to Staples' website and found my computer -- at the sale price. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 02:56:27 PM by magicdomino »

MizA

• Every day is the best day ever.
« Reply #347 on: November 16, 2012, 03:52:44 PM »
I hadn't heard of Black Friday before reading this thread.  Wowzas.  it sounds terrifying.

My hill is that I shall not be rushing at 7pm from working my 12-hour shift to the relative's house, not showering (ick ick ICK), and watching all and sundry get awfully tippled, then acting as DD, getting home much later than anticipated, before getting up at 0500 on Boxing Day to do it all again.

Cereal for dinner and bed by 9?  Yes, please!
)'( The world would rather hug you than hurt you )'(

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #348 on: November 16, 2012, 04:07:49 PM »
Boxing Day would be Canada's equivalent to Black Friday.  I'll pass, thanks.  I'd rather pay twice as much than go stand in line with thousands of people.  *shudder*
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Amara

« Reply #349 on: November 16, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
MizA, if you want to see the reality of Black Friday head over to CustomersSuck.com. Beware: there are no restrictions on language there. And it's blunt. But all of the forum participants are in some way in customer service, most often retail. What they endure is both frightening and discouraging. I only rarely check in because it appalls me to no end how they are treated. It makes me want to weep.

MOM21SON

« Reply #350 on: November 16, 2012, 04:48:54 PM »
Two of my coworkers were injured last years black Friday.  One with a broken wrist and one with a badly bruised body.  They were not together and both plan on going this year!  I am in the NOTHING would entice me to shop this day.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #351 on: November 16, 2012, 05:36:01 PM »
MizA, if you want to see the reality of Black Friday head over to CustomersSuck.com. Beware: there are no restrictions on language there. And it's blunt. But all of the forum participants are in some way in customer service, most often retail. What they endure is both frightening and discouraging. I only rarely check in because it appalls me to no end how they are treated. It makes me want to weep.

I just wasted an entire hour and its all your fault!  ;D

magicdomino

« Reply #352 on: November 16, 2012, 05:52:25 PM »
I hadn't heard of Black Friday before reading this thread.  Wowzas.  it sounds terrifying.

Nah, it's no worse than the Running of the Bulls in Spain.  In fact, the Running of the Bulls would probably be good practice.   ;)

Amara

« Reply #353 on: November 16, 2012, 05:53:39 PM »
I just wasted an entire hour and its all your fault! 

Fault accepted.  ;D

Seriously, though, it is horrifying once the shopping madness starts. The tales those poor workers share is unreal. Check in beginning Friday (Thursday this year I understand) and you might end up passing out.

lilfox

« Reply #354 on: November 16, 2012, 05:59:12 PM »
<snip>

YES.  I used to shop on Black Friday years ago but never really did the whole stand in line before stores opened thing, or even get many great deals.  Just the thought of all the traffic getting over to the stores and malls...  <shudder>

However, since a lot of retailers now do an online version of Black Friday, I'm all about that.  I could plan ahead, make a list, not get panicky from crowds and long waits nor frustrated by stuff sold out hours ago, and scored quite a few deals last year.

My holiday hill to die on this year was not traveling for Thanksgiving.  We usually host here but no one else is able to make it this year.  So DH wanted to go to his parents' place but a) it's an all-day drive, b) they're having construction done, and c) we just saw them a month ago and will see them a month from now.  I said I'd stay here but he's free to go, and bring DD if he wants.  He opted to stay too.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #355 on: November 16, 2012, 06:23:44 PM »

Nah, it's no worse than the Running of the Bulls in Spain.  In fact, the Running of the Bulls would probably be good practice.   ;)
Only safer.   The bull will just knock you down, trample you, and gore you.  It won't then tear the last TickleMe Elmo from your bleeding hands.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #356 on: November 16, 2012, 06:46:26 PM »
So we're going shopping for food starting tomorrow. I have nixed several things off of the menu, due to me and my two aunts picking up the bulk of the expenses for food, drinks, utensils, supplies, and no one else helping out.

Turkey
Turkey wings
Bison minced BBQ
Spareribs
Ham
Fried Chicken
Baked chicken
Crab Stuffed Rockfish (striped bass) - I said I wasn't making it, so if they buy it someone else can make it
Collard Greens
Sweet Potatoes
Macaroni and Cheese
Stuffing
Pasta Salad
Green Bean Casserole
Mashed Potatoes

Vanilla Cake
Chocolate Cake
Vanilla Cake with chocolate icing
Sweet Potato Pie - I'm going to get mine from my mother.  Everyone else is on their own
Apple Pie
Handmade Rolls - store bought will be just fine

SPuck

« Reply #357 on: November 16, 2012, 11:19:26 PM »
But the grocery store has only McCormicks or the store brand.  They barely qualify as cinnamon.

I don't "do" Black Friday either.  Last year, I needed a new computer, and decided to venture out to Staples.  Got there at 7:00 am, only to find that both of the computers that I wanted were sold out to people who were standing in line when the store opened at 6:00 am.  I didn't even bother asking about the external hard drive.

All was not lost, though.  Just for the heck of it, I went across the street to Home Depot, on the off-chance they still had the 99 cent poinsettias.  They did.  Racks upon racks of poinsettias.  Home Depot even still had some plastic cabinets in stock, although an employee had to run all over the store to find an unopened pallet. When I got to the office that morning, I went to Home Depot's website and praised both the employee and the fact that they actually stocked plenty of their sale items.

I wouldn't blame stores themselves for under stocking on items. Black friday brings out the worst in everyone, it is consumers fault as much as store policy. Even if there is enough stock an item like Tickle Me Elmo will get sold out if it is wanted enough and on sale. As for big ticket items like an gaming system, computer, or television they only stock so many (as little as 4, barely more than 10 if it is really big ticket) so they don't loose an arm and a leg on the sale.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #358 on: November 17, 2012, 02:12:59 PM »
I have never had a holiday hill, but I've decided to climb one this year.  I will not be doing any Christmas shopping at retail stores that are open on Thanksgiving or ridiculously early for Black Friday (i.e. "midnight after Thanksgiving - 6 AM, or even 5 AM, I won't object, although I won't be shopping then myself).  Convenience stores can definitely be open on Thanksgiving; that's why they are "convenience" stores, because they are open extra time.  Grocery stores I can live with, especially those ones that are open because they have a pharmacy (sometimes people need to fill prescriptions unexpectedly).  Target, Kohl's, JC Penney (disclaimer: I don't know if any of these 3 will be doing this) type stores, stay the heck closed and let your employees celebrate Thanksgiving.  Especially do not make someone go to work on Thanksgiving afternoon and work for 12 hours (not that I'd have shopped at Wal-Mart anyway).

My mother disagrees with me on this.  She thinks the convenience stores can be open, and anyone who didn't get off their duff and buy their groceries at least the day before can pay the convenience store prices or go without, and the grocery store employees should get the day off, too.  I was surprised; I thought she'd have the opposite attitude and that the employees should work whenever the stores required them, too.
I've already started boycotting the ones that plan to do this - and sending daily e-mails stating that I'm boycotting them and why. Maybe we should set up a petition asking them to stay closed till at least noon on Friday. The fact I know they are doing this means they are heavy on the ads. I rarely watch live TV - mostly Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.

I also think that when the next person is killed at one of these events the cops should arrest every adult customer, the manager, and every officer in the corporation for murder. The poor retail workers should not be punished they are just trying to put food on their tables.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Wench

« Reply #359 on: November 17, 2012, 02:29:49 PM »
I also think that when the next person is killed at one of these events the cops should arrest every adult customer, the manager, and every officer in the corporation for murder. The poor retail workers should not be punished they are just trying to put food on their tables.

Sorry but to me that seems an incredibly harsh. Basically any customer or manager who happens to be in the wrong place or wrong time could be charged with a very serious crime. I admit I have not read alot about Black Friday but at worse someone could be charged with manslaughter (murder two?)  I don't want to get too political but these shops really need to enforce strict health and safety code or whatever the American equivalent.  We have that sort of mad rush here on Boxing Day and I will agree people who take it to extremes to stampede over people and get in fights should be charged and banned from the shops.