Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 234570 times)

Lynn2000

Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #690 on: November 21, 2013, 03:29:18 PM »
I am hoping that this year, my dad will get my room at their house cleaned out enough for me to sleep in my bed. I mean, he's always managed in the past, but I understand the hoarding has been getting worse and/or the cleaning has been getting less frequent, so it's pretty bad right now. I grew up in a two-bedroom house and once I moved out, my dad took over my room to put his junk in, even though it is still acknowledged to be MY room with a lot of my stuff in it. All I ask is that when I come to their house to spend the night, I can sleep in my own bed. This only happens about three times a year now--Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. It might be more if the room didn't look so horrible. Once I asked my dad if he'd cleaned out my room yet and he was like, "Not yet. You can always sleep on the sofa bed." No. I have a bedroom, I have a bed. I will be sleeping on that bed until I am outright told the room has been repurposed and the bed removed! Or I will go back to my apartment and sleep in my bed there. I am just hoping this hill never actually arrives, because it would be really horrible to insist upon leaving on a holiday, but I hope it would force him to see that he is choosing his junk over me, should this happen.  :-\
~Lynn2000

daen

« Reply #691 on: November 21, 2013, 10:35:22 PM »
Don't you know, last night, a week after the schedule came out, i get a message saying well, they need extra people and can you work that night? Let me think. NO. Sorry. if the schedule had just come out, I probably would have, but it either was an error on their part leaving me off, or they need more staff, but either way, a week later, I HAVE PLANS. Never mind they are to simply spend all day doing things at home, they're MY plans.

This bolded bit, right here, I just gotta say, plans are plans! I hate when I'm planning on doing nothing much people say "Well, since you don't have any plans", no I do have plans! I have plans to lay around my house, eat, and play with my dogs. Those are plans!!! Maybe not exciting plans, but plans none the less.

Exactly! and I will be stressing all day, if I know I have to stop, get ready, eat dinner, etc. and go to work, not to pick up again until Sunday, as I'm working all day sat. this way I can get my stuff done, and then have some relaxing time wiht football on sunday.

Slightly off-topic, but when I have vacation time at home, I put together a rough schedule so I get the stuff done I want to do. Usually there's one "chore" and one "postponed pleasure" per day. A frequent entry on the "postponed pleasure" list is "do nothing until I'm tired of it." Obviously, this one must be done thoroughly, and it's wonderful.

Any threat to this time is countered with a firm, "I'm sorry, I already have plans."

Emmy

« Reply #692 on: November 22, 2013, 08:40:35 AM »
I'm hoping my DS doesn't end up on his hill.  He's 20, got a decent job and a nice apartment (nothing fancy, but a step up from beer posters and milk crates - he likes things to look nice).  His dad told him last week that since he has this great apartment, he can host Thanksgiving - for his dad, his psycho stepmother, her 4 adult kids (1 drug addict with 2 kids and his current pregnant girlfriend, one burnout who might or might not be conscious, 1 single mom with 2 spoiled young teen daughters, and one somewhat normal girl with her boyfriend).  12 people in an apartment.  Psycho stepmom is prone to freaking out and throwing huge, violent, screaming fits which involve throwing food and much profanity.  DS has sworn he'll throw them out if she starts up - I hope he can manage it.

I'm thinking DS' hill should have peaked a little sooner. Say when he was voluntold to host.

I would also recommend that DS get anything valuable out of his apartment and store it with Hilia for safe keeping, if you live close.  Any electronics smaller than a DVR; any sentimental trinkets; any money; anything small that could be pocketed and sold for cash or thrown.  And when he throws everyone out, if normal girl and her boyfriend are OK, let them stay.

POD.  He has probably already spent a lot of mental energy going through all the scenarios that could happen with this lovely group and will have to physical preparations for a group that big.  Although it may be too late, I think he should take it one step further and say that is not possible and suggest meeting at a restaurant.  If his dad wants these people at Thanksgiving then he can be the one to host them. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 08:45:32 AM by Emmy »

123sandy

« Reply #693 on: November 22, 2013, 08:50:40 AM »
We will spend the holidays at home, don't even ask us.

Although the first on both sides of the family to get married we were the last to have children, so for years we were told it was easier for us to travel/come to out State/our house. For 15 years we were the ones to visit other family members.

Finally the planets align and within two years we have two children. Then the question was "are you coming home for the holidays? We need to see the kids".

crella

« Reply #694 on: November 22, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »
evil-tempered old trout

I love this! I may borrow it from time to time.

In a moment of extreme vexation I came up with 'malevolent toad'...you're free to borrow it, too, if you like.

MIL was a champion complainer (she's still with us, but mellowed...). I'd decorate the house, make a nice meal, get she and FIL something but it was never what she wanted. I then took down the decorations on the 27th every year (bad luck to leave them up)clean and decorate for New Year's, make the traditional New Year's food and she'd complain through that holiday too. New Year's involves cleaning at a fall or spring cleaning level, and then to make all the food, 3-4 days after Christmas...her griping nearly drove me 'round the bend ;D

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #695 on: November 22, 2013, 10:40:08 AM »
Thanks to DP's surgery, we have an out on the travel for the holidays - but that hasn't stopped the whining. I've already gotten two "but we're going to miss you! Are you sure you can't just come for a day or two?" requests. She will not be getting out of the hospital until early to mid December, folks - no, we're not going to pop down for a weekend (an eight hour drive each way) that next weekend! Are  you nuts??

Hillia

« Reply #696 on: November 22, 2013, 10:50:56 AM »
I'm hoping my DS doesn't end up on his hill.  He's 20, got a decent job and a nice apartment (nothing fancy, but a step up from beer posters and milk crates - he likes things to look nice).  His dad told him last week that since he has this great apartment, he can host Thanksgiving - for his dad, his psycho stepmother, her 4 adult kids (1 drug addict with 2 kids and his current pregnant girlfriend, one burnout who might or might not be conscious, 1 single mom with 2 spoiled young teen daughters, and one somewhat normal girl with her boyfriend).  12 people in an apartment.  Psycho stepmom is prone to freaking out and throwing huge, violent, screaming fits which involve throwing food and much profanity.  DS has sworn he'll throw them out if she starts up - I hope he can manage it.

I'm thinking DS' hill should have peaked a little sooner. Say when he was voluntold to host.

I would also recommend that DS get anything valuable out of his apartment and store it with Hilia for safe keeping, if you live close.  Any electronics smaller than a DVR; any sentimental trinkets; any money; anything small that could be pocketed and sold for cash or thrown.  And when he throws everyone out, if normal girl and her boyfriend are OK, let them stay.

POD.  He has probably already spent a lot of mental energy going through all the scenarios that could happen with this lovely group and will have to physical preparations for a group that big.  Although it may be too late, I think he should take it one step further and say that is not possible and suggest meeting at a restaurant.  If his dad wants these people at Thanksgiving then he can be the one to host them.

Believe it or not, he's kind of looking forward to it amidst all the stress.  His stepmom told him his entire life that he was worthless and would never amount to anything (compared to her kids, the drug dealer, the burnout, and the sex worker).  So he's a little excited to show what he can do - he does have a decent place to live, he can cook a nice dinner.  We've gone over the menu several times; he's doing a ham instead of turkey as they're not as fussy, and buying a lot from the deli.  He's used to her shenanigans and has long ago come to the 'interested observer' stage - nothing she says affects him personally, and he's perfectly willing to throw her out if she starts up.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #697 on: November 22, 2013, 11:20:39 AM »
Believe it or not, he's kind of looking forward to it amidst all the stress.  His stepmom told him his entire life that he was worthless and would never amount to anything (compared to her kids, the drug dealer, the burnout, and the sex worker).  So he's a little excited to show what he can do - he does have a decent place to live, he can cook a nice dinner.  We've gone over the menu several times; he's doing a ham instead of turkey as they're not as fussy, and buying a lot from the deli.  He's used to her shenanigans and has long ago come to the 'interested observer' stage - nothing she says affects him personally, and he's perfectly willing to throw her out if she starts up.
Thereby giving the neighbors some entertainment other than football, parades, and moaning that they ate too much. :)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Last_Dance

« Reply #698 on: November 22, 2013, 11:42:16 AM »

Believe it or not, he's kind of looking forward to it amidst all the stress.  His stepmom told him his entire life that he was worthless and would never amount to anything (compared to her kids, the drug dealer, the burnout, and the sex worker).  So he's a little excited to show what he can do - he does have a decent place to live, he can cook a nice dinner. 

That sounds like another good reason to secure anything he values/of value.
We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #699 on: November 22, 2013, 11:47:21 AM »
Believe it or not, he's kind of looking forward to it amidst all the stress. His stepmom told him his entire life that he was worthless and would never amount to anything (compared to her kids, the drug dealer, the burnout, and the sex worker). 

Well sure...those are what we call "growth industries".

Stanwyck

« Reply #700 on: November 22, 2013, 11:50:09 AM »
{snip}I then took down the decorations on the 27th every year (bad luck to leave them up){snip}
I'm curious, why is it bad luck to leave the decorations up? I've never heard of this before. Is it from a particular culture?  Is this your "rule" or your MIL's?

Back on topic:

Back in the late 1960's Mom got tired of making two turkey dinners within a month so one year she made fondue. We've had fondue every Christmas since then. Since I don't remember the non-fondue Christmas dinner, that is my hill to die on.  Dinner on December 25 MUST and WILL be fondue.  Even if I'm the only one eating it.

nuit93

« Reply #701 on: November 22, 2013, 11:51:05 AM »
Believe it or not, he's kind of looking forward to it amidst all the stress. His stepmom told him his entire life that he was worthless and would never amount to anything (compared to her kids, the drug dealer, the burnout, and the sex worker). 

*snort*

Amara

« Reply #702 on: November 22, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »
In a moment of extreme vexation I came up with 'malevolent toad'...you're free to borrow it, too, if you like.

Thank you! I will. Probably during Holiday Bingo.

weeblewobble

« Reply #703 on: November 22, 2013, 12:30:47 PM »

They are recession proof.

English1

« Reply #704 on: November 22, 2013, 01:50:51 PM »
It's a common superstition in the UK that Christmas decorations must be taken down by 12th night or it's bad luck. So common that pretty much everyone does it. I left them up for about 2 months one year just to be awkward and I twice had complete strangers knock on my door and say 'Did you know your decorations are still up? That's bad luck!!!' People take it really seriously. Me? I don't 'do' superstitions.