Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 291031 times)

kckgirl

Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #705 on: November 22, 2013, 01:56:18 PM »
Believe it or not, he's kind of looking forward to it amidst all the stress.  His stepmom told him his entire life that he was worthless and would never amount to anything (compared to her kids, the drug dealer, the burnout, and the sex worker).  So he's a little excited to show what he can do - he does have a decent place to live, he can cook a nice dinner.  We've gone over the menu several times; he's doing a ham instead of turkey as they're not as fussy, and buying a lot from the deli.  He's used to her shenanigans and has long ago come to the 'interested observer' stage - nothing she says affects him personally, and he's perfectly willing to throw her out if she starts up.

He would probably do well to bring anything he really values over to your house for safe keeping before they invade his space!
Maryland

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #706 on: November 22, 2013, 02:09:28 PM »
{snip}I then took down the decorations on the 27th every year (bad luck to leave them up){snip}
I'm curious, why is it bad luck to leave the decorations up? I've never heard of this before. Is it from a particular culture?  Is this your "rule" or your MIL's?

This may not be the same thing, but a Welsh friend of mine was taught that it is bad luck to take the decorations down after Twelfth Night: the one year she forgot to take everything down by then, the remaining decorations stayed up until the following Christmas.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #707 on: November 22, 2013, 02:12:24 PM »
{snip}I then took down the decorations on the 27th every year (bad luck to leave them up){snip}
I'm curious, why is it bad luck to leave the decorations up? I've never heard of this before. Is it from a particular culture?  Is this your "rule" or your MIL's?

This may not be the same thing, but a Welsh friend of mine was taught that it is bad luck to take the decorations down after Twelfth Night: the one year she forgot to take everything down by then, the remaining decorations stayed up until the following Christmas.
But 12th Night isn't until January 6th.  So why rush to take everything down on the 27th? ???
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #708 on: November 22, 2013, 02:43:49 PM »

But 12th Night isn't until January 6th.  So why rush to take everything down on the 27th? ???

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that.  For us, though, we do it whatever weekend is closest to the 6th.  I had a molehill one year where I refused to take down decorations on New Years Day because it was on the weekend.  Thankfully, I got listened to and we did it the next weekend.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #709 on: November 22, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »
I'm impressed by everyone taking down decorations. One year our tree stayed up until March. At which point we decided to leave it up and just decorate it for whatever month we were in.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #710 on: November 22, 2013, 04:10:41 PM »
I'm impressed by everyone taking down decorations. One year our tree stayed up until March. At which point we decided to leave it up and just decorate it for whatever month we were in.

A visual of an evergreen festooned with beach balls and seashells just popped into my head . . . you must have such fun with this!

cwm

« Reply #711 on: November 22, 2013, 04:14:32 PM »
Growing up we always took the decorations down within a few days, but that's because growing up we always had live trees, and if we didn't take them down pretty quickly, we'd have more pine needles fall off, and sis and I were tired of crawling under the tree to water it.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #712 on: November 22, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »
Funny but in my culture, it's almost seen as bad luck  to take down the Christmas decorations too early.  (though strangers would never ring my doorbell to say so...that's just weird)

This year, I do want them down before New Year's Eve but my DH disagrees.  Most people I know don't take anything down until the 6th, at least.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #713 on: November 22, 2013, 04:48:23 PM »

A visual of an evergreen festooned with beach balls and seashells just popped into my head . . . you must have such fun with this!

It was pretty cool. It was a small white one, so red hearts for Valentine's day had already happen, then we stuck on four leaf clovers, then easter stuff, I think after we just skipped to fourth of july for awhile and then did it up for Halloween.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #714 on: November 22, 2013, 04:56:58 PM »
I have to confess... I don't like putting up or taking down decorations.  :P I don't think I would call it a hill, but whenever I go to my parents' house for Thanksgiving I always end up helping my dad drag the artificial tree parts into the house, and all the dusty ornament boxes, and then I have to help untangle and test the lights, and walk around the tree stringing lights and garlands and getting poked in the face by pine branches. I find that more fussy than fun. I guess putting the ornaments on is the least unenjoyable part to me, but even so, I just don't take a particular level of joy in it. I am just so happy I'm not around in January when my mom takes it all down.

I will admit I think this is kind of weird, because I really like looking at Christmas decorations, and thinking about how a space would be decorated. I literally stand in front of the tree when I come back for Christmas looking at all the different ornaments and admiring it all, even when no one is around to watch me. If I was rich and had a big house, I would love decorating it for the holidays, and by "decorating" I mean I would decide what to use and where it should go, and then supervise other people who were actually doing it. It just seems so tedious to me.

Yes, my mom is extremely disappointed by this.  :P I help at Thanksgiving because she really enjoys it and because my dad shouldn't be doing all the heavy lifting by himself, and because the heavy lifting is all he does because he's not really into it either.
~Lynn2000

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #715 on: November 22, 2013, 05:09:45 PM »
Our decorations sometimes stay up until February.

crella

« Reply #716 on: November 22, 2013, 06:25:54 PM »

This is in Japan, anything from the previous year is banished, including dust, which is why you clean the house thoroughly, including washing the windows, the last week of December (shivers). In commercial spaces like malls the decorations are taken down overnight on the night of the 25th, so on the 26th you're greeted with the New Year's displays. It's jarringly rapid.

Edit: I should add that since I make the mochi rice cakes on the 28th, the most auspicious day to make them, and then have the full New Year's menu to make, and then the house to clean, the choice of the 27th is mine but they absolutely can't be up till New Year's Eve.

Here's the NY food, minus the soup and grilled rice cakes, which are done the morning of-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62021477@N00/6605074619/
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 06:30:42 PM by crella »

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #717 on: November 22, 2013, 07:11:44 PM »
If I was rich and had a big house, I would love decorating it for the holidays, and by "decorating" I mean I would decide what to use and where it should go, and then supervise other people who were actually doing it. It just seems so tedious to me.
I read once about a woman who kept her tree fully set up in a closet or maybe a storage room.  The lights and all the ornaments were wired on, and the base had wheels.  She just rolled it out of the closet in early December and plugged it in.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #718 on: November 22, 2013, 07:12:42 PM »
Fascinating.

I love the picture, the food is so beautiful!

crella

« Reply #719 on: November 22, 2013, 07:16:13 PM »
Thank you!

Here's the place setting and the soup etc the morning of...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62021477@N00/4242229153/

I sometimes wish Christmas and New Year's were a little further apart!

My hill to die on? I refuse to wash the windows any more! Who needs to be out with a hose in 40 degree weather getting soaked? I'd catch a cold or pull a muscle from being half frozen most years, now I just refuse.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:22:02 PM by crella »