Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 263534 times)

Stanwyck

Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #720 on: November 22, 2013, 10:19:51 PM »
Thanks crella, et al for the explanations. We always took the decorations down the Saturday after Christmas, but that was because Dad was sick of them by then.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #721 on: November 22, 2013, 11:02:54 PM »
If I was rich and had a big house, I would love decorating it for the holidays, and by "decorating" I mean I would decide what to use and where it should go, and then supervise other people who were actually doing it. It just seems so tedious to me.
I read once about a woman who kept her tree fully set up in a closet or maybe a storage room.  The lights and all the ornaments were wired on, and the base had wheels.  She just rolled it out of the closet in early December and plugged it in.

I like that lady

crella

« Reply #722 on: November 23, 2013, 01:30:54 AM »
Thanks crella, et al for the explanations. We always took the decorations down the Saturday after Christmas, but that was because Dad was sick of them by then.

You're welcome!

caz

« Reply #723 on: November 23, 2013, 03:34:55 AM »
I plan on opting out of Christmas festivities with anyone else - DH and I are putting up a "booze tree". Our regular pre-lit tree decorated with ornaments and those tiny airline bottles of booze in flavors/kinds we haven't tried before tied to the branches with ribbons.  We plan on making Christmas morning a cocktail hour and keep track of the good, the bad, and the "Dear God NO!" from the booze. 

I fully expect us to be asleep by noon.

This!!!  I am doing this!!!

123sandy

« Reply #724 on: November 23, 2013, 04:30:27 AM »
Christmas decorations come down by the 29th of December. I like to have everything away, the house spotless and the fridge full when we go into the New Year.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #725 on: November 23, 2013, 06:17:44 AM »
My sister's hill to die on is having a live tree. For several Christmases in a row I was sick as a dog. MOm thought it was because we were pet sitting for a friend. Told friend we couldn't pet sit.

I was in my room doing homework one evening and started filling sick/having problems breathing. Walked out front to get help. Dad had brought in the Christmas tree. End of that. Mom went to the after Christmas sales and got a wonderful artificial tree.

Next year Sis was really objecting. Again I was in my room with door closed. SIs brought in some pieces a friend had given her from being cut off their tree. Again I can't breath.

The weird part was I had no problem around many different kinds of evergreens that grow wild. I never got cedar fever when I was at university in Georgetown, Texas. Also I would get some houses with live trees and not others. Turns out the problem was a preservative used on some trees.

So Sis's family go to a tree farm, get a live tree without preservative and all is good.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #726 on: November 23, 2013, 10:51:01 AM »
I grew up in the UK, so I am used to taking down the tree before 12th Night, to avoid bad luck.

However, down here many people simply change out the decorations and change their Christmas trees into Mardi Gras trees - and Mardi Gras starts on January 6th.

(One awful exception was pure procrastination: waaaaay back in 1985 I took the tree down during Super Bowl XX....)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #727 on: November 23, 2013, 12:34:25 PM »
The holidays this year are tinged with sadness..in February, my older DD's dad (my ex husband) died and in August my dad passed, but because of these things and the need to still try to make it through without anyone under the tree sobbing, the hills I have been complaining about are now firmly taken care of.  I will invite who I want to my house (I have been doing both Thanksgiving and Christmas due to it being hard for my step mom these last few years) and if you don't want to come because you don't care for someone I invited (not a toxic thing, just something in their own mind that no one else can understand), stay home.  I will invite you, but I will not beg you..hemhaw around and I will consider you as a no.  If you want to wait for a better invitation, fine, but don't expect me to sweeten the deal to make mine look better.  I will NOT lock up my cats.  They, for the most part, hide when company is here, the house is clean and as fur free as possible, but this is their house and I no longer will put them in the basement all day because you don't like them..I think they would prefer you not come over to dis them.  My kids are allowed to play, laugh, and enjoy themselves.  They will NOT be told to settle down when they are laughing over a new DVD, or playing a game together.  If the sound of their laughter is offensive to you, please leave..the cats are already mad, don't make the kids mad too.  My meal is at 5 pm..no I will not change a humongous made from scratch meal to noon because you made the choice to drive down for 8 hours for a holiday weekend but have to work the day after Christmas.  And whining will get you no where..makes the cats angry and the kids giggle.  I make enough food for the infantry, but is there a reason to make a pig of yourself and eat three huge platefuls of food, in some instances, finishing off sides for seconds before everyone has finished their first normal serving?  Then complaining that I didn't make enough (4heads of cauliflower, 4 large bunches of broccoli for 7 people and they ate 3/4 of it between 2 of them).   If you can't wait to start eating until your gracious hostess has gotten her plate and sat down, after getting all your last minute requests of this that or another, you are just a rude pig.  Would it have killed you to wait 5 more minutes???  Do not lecture my kids at the dinner table as to what they should or should not be doing.  I got it under control and they are trying to enjoy their holiday, not hear about why they need to be doing XY or Z is the only right thing to do.  You give them indigestion (and the cats get mad).  Do not feed my dog from the table..yes, I know she has her head on your lap and her sweet eyes are making you feel bad, but if you haven't noticed, she is overweight as is and table foods make her gassy...you leave, she sleeps next to me!  Do not lecture me about my job , my love life , how I spend my money , my house or anything else that is actually none of your business.  I love my job, and yes, it is a big step down from my last position but I am not getting ulcers and hives, I don't want to date TYVM and no please don't set me up with your lawn guy, unless you pay my bills my spending is no one's business, my house isn't a castle but we love our home..and it is the home that was opened up to you for a lovely meal so you didn't spend the holidays alone!
Whew....that felt sooooo good to finally say instead of gritting my teeth and suffering through, which I will no longer do!

*As usual, all you's are general unless you know they mean my step family  ::)

LeveeWoman

« Reply #728 on: November 23, 2013, 12:57:35 PM »
Dang! That was epic, *inviteseller!

You go, girl!

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #729 on: November 23, 2013, 01:12:19 PM »
TY LeveeWoman...I can finally put my foot down to all the crap I have been putting up with for years for my wonderful dad's sake (altho he put his foot down on the Christmas meal being made at noon, said I have dinner at 5 so tough  ;D) but with him gone, it is now my house, my rules!  And if it becomes just the girls and I, I am ok with that!

Clockwork Banana

« Reply #730 on: November 23, 2013, 05:41:02 PM »
Believe it or not, he's kind of looking forward to it amidst all the stress. His stepmom told him his entire life that he was worthless and would never amount to anything (compared to her kids, the drug dealer, the burnout, and the sex worker). 

Well sure...those are what we call "growth industries".

Well, I suppose it can be so in two ways for clients of the last one....

Duck and run

LeveeWoman

« Reply #731 on: November 23, 2013, 09:42:09 PM »
TY LeveeWoman...I can finally put my foot down to all the crap I have been putting up with for years for my wonderful dad's sake (altho he put his foot down on the Christmas meal being made at noon, said I have dinner at 5 so tough  ;D) but with him gone, it is now my house, my rules!  And if it becomes just the girls and I, I am ok with that!

For me, the first time anyone said or did anything you wrote about would be met with a warning. If the comments or behaviors repeated during the same visit, she or he would be shown the door.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #732 on: November 23, 2013, 10:28:35 PM »
If I was rich and had a big house, I would love decorating it for the holidays, and by "decorating" I mean I would decide what to use and where it should go, and then supervise other people who were actually doing it. It just seems so tedious to me.
I read once about a woman who kept her tree fully set up in a closet or maybe a storage room.  The lights and all the ornaments were wired on, and the base had wheels.  She just rolled it out of the closet in early December and plugged it in.

I like that lady

I could handle that. I would have the lights and garlands on it for sure. My ornaments tend to be more fragile, so I would probably put those away and get them out every year, but it would be so much easier if the tree was already upright, lit, and garlanded for me!
~Lynn2000

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #733 on: November 23, 2013, 10:32:43 PM »
I plan on opting out of Christmas festivities with anyone else - DH and I are putting up a "booze tree". Our regular pre-lit tree decorated with ornaments and those tiny airline bottles of booze in flavors/kinds we haven't tried before tied to the branches with ribbons.  We plan on making Christmas morning a cocktail hour and keep track of the good, the bad, and the "Dear God NO!" from the booze. 

I fully expect us to be asleep by noon.

This!!!  I am doing this!!!

Hint - you might want to leave the Drambuie for someone else to try.

It was my father's holiday "treat" to the family. I learned to drink it very quickly, for the less time it spent in my mouth, the better.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #734 on: November 23, 2013, 10:41:16 PM »

I like that lady

I could handle that. I would have the lights and garlands on it for sure. My ornaments tend to be more fragile, so I would probably put those away and get them out every year, but it would be so much easier if the tree was already upright, lit, and garlanded for me!

I bought a pre-lit Christmas tree for basically this reason.  Okay, I don't leave it up with the ornaments all year round, so I do have to put it together, fluff up the branches, and put ornaments on it, but it's close enough.

Actually, I mostly have the kids put ornaments on it.  This is great fun.  The side effect is that the ornaments are all only on the bottom 4' of tree.  The top part usually ends up bare.  I rearrange the ornaments a bit after they go to bed so that it is a bit more even.  :)