Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 264442 times)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #810 on: November 27, 2013, 10:59:38 PM »
I'll call my Thanksgiving hill my hill to rest on. All my brothers and I want to "do" for Thanksgiving is have downtime. I will not give in to the social/cultural pressure to do the "traditional" holiday because that's what "normal" families do. It's too much work. We will just enjoy our time off and each other's company. Sleep in, stay warm and cozy and watch t.v...

Happy Thanksgiving.  ;)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #811 on: November 27, 2013, 11:10:48 PM »
I'll call my Thanksgiving hill my hill to rest on. All my brothers and I want to "do" for Thanksgiving is have downtime. I will not give in to the social/cultural pressure to do the "traditional" holiday because that's what "normal" families do. It's too much work. We will just enjoy our time off and each other's company. Sleep in, stay warm and cozy and watch t.v...

Happy Thanksgiving.  ;)

There's a lot to be said for that kind of Thanksgiving!  In fact, it's pretty much what we're doing this year for the very first time ever.  I think I'm going to like it.   :)

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #812 on: November 27, 2013, 11:18:42 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving.  ;)

There's a lot to be said for that kind of Thanksgiving!  In fact, it's pretty much what we're doing this year for the very first time ever.  I think I'm going to like it.   :)
I was going to do that this year(before going to slave away for my Corporate Overlords) but the in-laws came to town.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #813 on: November 28, 2013, 12:35:47 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving.  ;)

I was going to do that this year(before going to slave away for my Corporate Overlords) but the in-laws came to town.

This is the plan Anthony and I have for Christmas, actually, and I'm looking forward to it.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

MOM21SON

« Reply #814 on: November 28, 2013, 01:20:35 PM »
I am having one of the most relaxing holidays in a very longtime.  My mother is in rehab because she fell again.  My sister is having some sort of breakdown over her boyfriend woes.  My brother isn't speaking to me because I won't pack up my family and move into my mothers house so she can come home.  Phone hasn't rang all day and it is great!

Sorry if this sounds mean, but that's just the way it is.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #815 on: November 28, 2013, 01:28:30 PM »
I am having one of the most relaxing holidays in a very longtime.  My mother is in rehab because she fell again.  My sister is having some sort of breakdown over her boyfriend woes.  My brother isn't speaking to me because I won't pack up my family and move into my mothers house so she can come home.  Phone hasn't rang all day and it is great!

Sorry if this sounds mean, but that's just the way it is.

Not mean at all.  Just a reason to be thankful!   :)

Carotte

« Reply #816 on: November 28, 2013, 02:19:17 PM »
I had a client two weeks ago (retail, some people get chatty while we wrap their gifts) who was explaining why she didn't like christmas, hated that time of the year, and since she only had two grown up daughters to consider and that they weren't very christmassy either, what they did was come up with three days during the year, pick the one that was the most convenient and celebrate the Saint GlinGlin* then (with gifts and nice food, but without the pressure of christmas itself).
I thought it was a lovely idea and that it might interest people on this thread :)

*Saint Glinglin is a french 'saying', telling someone "I'll do it when Saint Glinglin (day) comes" is saying "I'll do it never", the day (and the saint) doesn't exist.

Corvid

• Etiquette Hell Thread Assassin Squad
« Reply #817 on: November 28, 2013, 03:53:06 PM »
My brother isn't speaking to me because I won't pack up my family and move into my mothers house so she can come home.

Whut.

MOM21SON

« Reply #818 on: November 28, 2013, 04:00:21 PM »
My brother isn't speaking to me because I won't pack up my family and move into my mothers house so she can come home.

Whut.

Yes.  He lives roughly 1300 miles away, is not married and has no kids.  He doesn't like our state.  The mother is VERY toxic.   In his mind, I guess it makes more sense for me to move myself, DS and DH the 1 mile away and live with her and quit our jobs so she can have 24 hour care that she needs.  THIS WILL NOT BE HAPPENING! 

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #819 on: November 28, 2013, 06:18:36 PM »
MOM 21 SON, you are doing the right thing by taking care of your family, your dh and son. Everyone else is extended family, and the needs of your nuclear family come first.
my dh had always liked my mother, but the line was that we would never live together. When she could not walk, and needed 24/7 assistance, she and I and my dh agreed it was best for her to be in a facility with trained people . She picked her nursing home, and it is an excellent facility. If we all had lived together we would have driven each other completely batty.
And my mom is reasonable and we generally like each other!
Do enjoy the silence from your brother!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #820 on: November 28, 2013, 06:30:29 PM »
...   My brother isn't speaking to me because I won't pack up my family and move into my mothers house so she can come home.  ...

Is he objecting because he sees his future "inheritance" going to a residential facility perhaps?  Or is he perhaps worried that all the siblings will be expected to chip in equally for her care there? 

As JoyinVirginia said:  Enjoy the silence ... !   :)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #821 on: November 28, 2013, 08:13:15 PM »
...   My brother isn't speaking to me because I won't pack up my family and move into my mothers house so she can come home.  ...

Is he objecting because he sees his future "inheritance" going to a residential facility perhaps?  Or is he perhaps worried that all the siblings will be expected to chip in equally for her care there? 

Or does he just not want to deal with it and expects her to?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #822 on: November 28, 2013, 08:17:50 PM »

Or does he just not want to deal with it and expects her to?

Maybe, but he'll just have to learn how to deal with dashed expectations! 

Maybe it's the old 'the daughter takes care of the parents' idea, but we all know that just isn't possible for most families any more.  He has no reason to expect that she can or should take on the burden by herself.  Especially since she has a family of her own.

Sanity Lost

« Reply #823 on: November 28, 2013, 11:47:19 PM »
DH almost gave me a hill today. I am for lack of a better title the House Manager, basically I handle all the aspects of running the household and our 3 kids. DH does work 2 jobs and I understand that his jobs are physically demanding, so I tend to cut him a lot of slack when it comes to household todo's. Plus, I have 2 boys who need proper training in running households as well  ;)

However, today after the great (If I may brag) Thanksgiving dinner is done; in which I did 85% of the cooking. I hand out kitchen assignments hoping to actually sit down for a few minutes. I ask the boys to clear the table and start the dishwasher and DH to put food away. To hear my DH mutter "this is why I prefer going to my Mom's". I sweetly asked if he really cared to repeat that and he declined. Which is why he is not currently sporting wishbone enema; and is safely working at his parttime job as a stocker at Bullseye. Unfortunately, I had to go back and "re-debone" the turkey which was still on the counter, but at least it is done.

Methinks DH and I need to have a "State of the Household" meeting soon.

*edited to add, our DD is still too young for chores but will still bring me her sippy cup to be washed :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 11:48:52 PM by Sanity Lost »

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #824 on: November 28, 2013, 11:53:17 PM »
If you were closer, my dear, I'd lend you the Extra-Large Cast Iron Attitude Adjuster.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~