Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 235542 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #915 on: December 05, 2013, 01:56:50 PM »
A LOT of people don't take hints. Either the hint flies completely over their heads or they're pretending it did.  Instead of hinting, you may have to come right out and say "I'm not hosting the Xmas gathering this year.  It's your turn."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Firecat

« Reply #916 on: December 05, 2013, 03:21:05 PM »
Must mention that when I was about five, my fifteen year old brother told me that mincemeat pie was made of dead flies and I believed him and won't eat it to this day.   ;D

According to my brother it was made of mice.  Nope, never tried it.
It couldn't POSSIBLY be that the older brothers really REALLY liked mincemeat pies and told these fibs to their little sisters so that there would be more pie for them, now could it?  >:D

I don't think that DD1 ever did that to DD2, but she DID tell her that if she didn't wake up the foot that had gone to sleep, the numbness and tingling would spread up her body to her brain and she would die...  ::)   Evil child.

My mother did that to me with black jellybeans (the ones that are licorice flavored) for a few years when I was a kid. "Oh, those are icky, you don't want them - give them to me!" Which backfired a few years later when I thought "Hey, if they're so icky, how come she wants them so much?"

lowspark

« Reply #917 on: December 05, 2013, 04:32:16 PM »
That's actually a running joke in my family. Whenever something is really good we always tell each other, "Oh this isn't any good, you won't like it. I'll just make the sacrfice and eat it." That's code for, "get some. right now. it's delicious."

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #918 on: December 05, 2013, 04:48:57 PM »
The Christmas Bingo cards? I'm going to be through them like salts through a sick goose. I can't lose this year. You know I've already ticked off the space for 'some member of the family changing all the arrangements without telling anybody else'? I can also tick off 'some member of the family inviting everybody else to some other member of the family's house without telling that person that they're hosting a party'.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #919 on: December 05, 2013, 05:09:04 PM »
The Christmas Bingo cards? I'm going to be through them like salts through a sick goose. I can't lose this year. You know I've already ticked off the space for 'some member of the family changing all the arrangements without telling anybody else'? I can also tick off 'some member of the family inviting everybody else to some other member of the family's house without telling that person that they're hosting a party'.
OK, I can understand the second, that's easy but infuriating. "Susan is hosting a cookie party on Saturday! Everybody bring 6 dozen cookies to exchange!" And poor Susan doesn't know zip until everyone shows up on her doorstep.

But how do you change ALL the arrangements without telling anyone?  Canceling reservations and making new ones?
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

emwithme

« Reply #920 on: December 05, 2013, 05:16:41 PM »
That's actually a running joke in my family. Whenever something is really good we always tell each other, "Oh this isn't any good, you won't like it. I'll just make the sacrfice and eat it." That's code for, "get some. right now. it's delicious."

BFF and I always used to "test the mushrooms to see if they're poisonous" when chopping them for cooking.  They always were! 

(These were not poisonous mushrooms that we had randomly picked, they were shop-bought button or chestnut, generally)

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #921 on: December 05, 2013, 06:37:23 PM »
OK, I can understand the second, that's easy but infuriating. "Susan is hosting a cookie party on Saturday! Everybody bring 6 dozen cookies to exchange!" And poor Susan doesn't know zip until everyone shows up on her doorstep.

But how do you change ALL the arrangements without telling anyone?  Canceling reservations and making new ones?

Basically, yes. 'I don't want to do it the way we've always done it, and the way we have already started to arrange it for this year, so I'm just going to book something different that will be much more expensive for everybody, and much less convenient for everybody except me. Oh, by the way, I'm not going to tell you directly.' Add in somebody who was party both to the original discussion of 'this is what we always do; the only question is where we do it and here is the only convenient place' and also to the discussion of 'but I don't want to do that any more', but who didn't think to mention to anybody that the two plans were mutually incompatible.

After that the inviting people to someone else's house was inevitable - 'because we're not doing the plan we have honed over ten years until it works, we suddenly need a Plan B to cover this event, and Plan C for that one. I know! Johnny will deal with Plan B and Mary with Plan C!' But nobody thought to mention to Johnny that he had been voluntold for this, and it came as something of a shock since Johnny had never been involved in hosting at all...

Well meaning people, but good with the communication? Not so much. To be fair, it's the old line about when it's a choice between cock-up and conspiracy... No point in getting ratty about it, so one might as well just fill the wine glass and enjoy the show.

Kariachi

« Reply #922 on: December 06, 2013, 12:55:53 PM »

BFF and I always used to "test the mushrooms to see if they're poisonous" when chopping them for cooking.  They always were! 

(These were not poisonous mushrooms that we had randomly picked, they were shop-bought button or chestnut, generally)

We do the poison thing. For anything.

"Nope, it's poison. Better put it back, I'll bite the bullet. Being the loving, caring daughter I am."

It's reached the point where "that was disgusting" is code for "CRUD MONKEYS! are there seconds?".
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #923 on: December 06, 2013, 01:23:19 PM »

Basically, yes. 'I don't want to do it the way we've always done it, and the way we have already started to arrange it for this year, so I'm just going to book something different that will be much more expensive for everybody, and much less convenient for everybody except me. Oh, by the way, I'm not going to tell you directly.' Add in somebody who was party both to the original discussion of 'this is what we always do; the only question is where we do it and here is the only convenient place' and also to the discussion of 'but I don't want to do that any more', but who didn't think to mention to anybody that the two plans were mutually incompatible.

After that the inviting people to someone else's house was inevitable - 'because we're not doing the plan we have honed over ten years until it works, we suddenly need a Plan B to cover this event, and Plan C for that one. I know! Johnny will deal with Plan B and Mary with Plan C!' But nobody thought to mention to Johnny that he had been voluntold for this, and it came as something of a shock since Johnny had never been involved in hosting at all...

Well meaning people, but good with the communication? Not so much. To be fair, it's the old line about when it's a choice between cock-up and conspiracy... No point in getting ratty about it, so one might as well just fill the wine glass and enjoy the show.

If the meddler didn't tell anyone that Plan A was off then wouldn't people still do plan A anyway? Since they don't know it isn't there? And if she is the only person who wants Plan B can't they just do plan A without her?

I am being too logical in the face of the crazy, right?

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #924 on: December 06, 2013, 06:55:42 PM »

If the meddler didn't tell anyone that Plan A was off then wouldn't people still do plan A anyway? Since they don't know it isn't there? And if she is the only person who wants Plan B can't they just do plan A without her?

I am being too logical in the face of the crazy, right?

'Fraud so, yes. Two families were still intending to do Plan A. Meddler was on Plan B. And Intermediary had apparently agreed to both.

I got to tell Johnny that he had been voluntold to host everybody else. Well, actually, I started a conversation with 'OK, when we all come to you, do you want me to bring anything?' That was the first Johnny had heard about it.

You just have to back off and enjoy the show.

---

• Here and There
« Reply #925 on: December 07, 2013, 12:47:36 AM »
I think I'll be spending Christmas with the roommate's family from now on, at least they've been consistant with where they're having their holiday parties, who is hosting, and if plans have to change they'll give better notice.

Every year for the past X amount of years, Thanksgiving was at Aunt It's house, Christmas was at Cousin It's house. Before Aunt It and I moved to our current locations (we're about a half hour away from each other, she moved here first then I did two years later), Thanksgiving was at my parent's house, Christmas was at Aunt It's house. This year Thanksgiving was at Cousin Jr.'s house, Christmas at Aunt Eve's house.

Or so I was told about four months ago, then again at Halloween, come Thanksgiving it was the same plan, then I was told earlier today that "what do you MEAN we're having Christmas at Aunt Eve's house?". Apparently we're having Christmas at my parents house and everyone, with the exception of Cousin It (who really doesn't want to visit home anyways) and myself, are driving there and staying until past New Years.

This is Very Big Problem. Why is that? Because my parents live almost thirteen hours and four and a half states away.

Yes you read that right. My family, who has insisted that we're having Christmas with Aunt Eve -- who, by the way, lives less then an hour and a half away -- has suddenly said, two and a half weeks BEFORE Christmas, that they're going to my parents house. Which will take a half of a day, one way, by car. And they insist that Aunt Eve was never hosting Christmas this year, despite the fact that I had talked to her on THANKSGIVING and said that she was looking forward to showing me around her new house.

And they wonder why I suddenly can't spend Christmas with them.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #926 on: December 07, 2013, 04:37:07 AM »
Let's introduce Aunt Eve, who thought she was hosting, to Johnny, who thought he wasn't. I expect it would work for both of them.

kckgirl

« Reply #927 on: December 07, 2013, 06:33:28 AM »
And they insist that Aunt Eve was never hosting Christmas this year, despite the fact that I had talked to her on THANKSGIVING and said that she was looking forward to showing me around her new house.

Can't you still visit Aunt Eve? Or is she going to your parents' house?
Maryland

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #928 on: December 07, 2013, 10:32:20 AM »
And they insist that Aunt Eve was never hosting Christmas this year, despite the fact that I had talked to her on THANKSGIVING and said that she was looking forward to showing me around her new house.

^^^  That was my exact question.  Kckgirl beat me to it.

---

• Here and There
« Reply #929 on: December 07, 2013, 07:55:33 PM »

She, too, is going to my parent's house. Aunt Eve lives an hour and a half away and close to the route the rest of the family is going to be taking. Apparently she thought that during our Thanksgiving conversation, I was going to see her new house when they stopped over to come pick her up. She had no idea that I didn't know plans had changed! She thought that I had been told on Thanksgiving, which was when it supposedly had gone from 'We're spending Christmas with Aunt Eve' to 'We're picking Aunt Eve up then going to your parents for Christmas'.

It's really not my parent's fault, I can't blame them for this since they thought I knew.