Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 249773 times)

NyaChan

Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #945 on: December 09, 2013, 10:35:03 AM »
Ok I caved - I know that story!  I don't know why anyone would want to sing about it though...

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #946 on: December 09, 2013, 10:42:35 AM »
I like it. Though I haven't listened to it in years and it's not one of my favorite Christmas songs.

I do always wonder...what exactly are Christmas shoes? Does one wear special shoes on Christmas?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #947 on: December 09, 2013, 10:47:07 AM »
I have been feeling the need to have DH pick one major holiday over Christmas break for us to meet with his parents and only one.

Any meal with DH' parents results in DH and I cooking 90% of the meal, dragging it to their house, then having to set up while one or both PIL start eating before everyone is at the table. Neither is complimentary to the meal or the cooks, and that drives me up the wall. Also, MIL is extremely picky and doesn't like half of the ingredients we enjoy cooking with. For example, if I make a chocolate dessert that would be enjoyed by everyone but MIL, I also need to make another dessert that does not contain cherries, blueberries, raisins or chocolate that MIL would enjoy.

Not this year. We are going to have our fancier and more gourmet meal on Christmas Eve, just the three of us and make a simpler roast, sides, dessert to take to their house for Christmas Day lunch. We will not be seeing them over New Years either. My stress levels have dropped.

LK, use that logic hammer and put your foot down.  If your ILs want you to cook them Christmas lunch/dinner, then it happens at YOUR house, on YOUR timetable.  No more hauling everything over there, etc. etc. It isn't logical!  And if it's your DH wanting to do that, tell him you want a million dollars and a pony, too, but you aren't getting it.  Then if necessary, introduce him to the Frying Pan of Gentle Persuasion.

Re the Christmas Shoes song -- there are HUGE plot holes in it.  This kid is so young that he doesn't know how to count money, or realize that "Mommy meeting Jesus" means that she's going to die.  And yet he's at the mall/Walmart/Target all alone on Christmas Eve?  And no one asks him where his adult guardian is?  They just pay for the shoes and let him walk away without making sure that someone is taking care of him?  I'm not  over that song -- I'm  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:58:53 AM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

cwm

« Reply #948 on: December 09, 2013, 10:53:17 AM »
I have a list of Christmas songs I hate, and most everything that plays on the radio is on it. Traditionally the Christmas music in the background at my family is Manheim Steamroller, Vienna Boys Choir (or similar boys choir), or Trans Siberian Orchestra. There may be a few pieces from The Nutcracker making their way into my holiday playlist, but mostly because my dad is gone and can't argue against it any longer. And whenever possible, the choir songs are in the original languages.

I'm a music nerd. So is my sister. Neither of us can stand the incessant Christmas pop music that starts the day after Thanksgiving. If I'm at someone else's party and it's playing in the background I'll try to ignore it or translate the lyrics to Latin (because why not?), but if I'm in charge of the music, it will not be played.

ETA: Went to look up the lyrics for Christmas Shoes. That's just weird. I didn't even listen to it, but the story is enough to make me want to curl up into a ball and avoid the glurge of the rest of the season.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #949 on: December 09, 2013, 11:05:52 AM »
Elfmama, TY for the reminder.

We have the meal at their house because we can leave when we want to, and don't have enough furniture for 5 to sit around and visit unless we gather the office chairs. I also don't want the tv turned on the instant they arrive and blaring while we try to talk. It is much easier this way!

Christmas lunch is looking to be a nice roast pork loin, garlic and shallot mashed potatoes, a green vegetable and a berry strudel with vanilla sauce. All easy to make and move over to their house.

I am just hoping everyone is wearing actual clothing and not pajamas this time.  :o

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #950 on: December 09, 2013, 11:29:10 AM »
I don't know which song that is, and now I'm scared to google it  :-\

I googled it, but lyrics only. Seemed pretty innocent to me, but the problem may lie with the music.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

poundcake

« Reply #951 on: December 09, 2013, 11:44:27 AM »
I understand that most hills involve negotiating boundaries and varying toxicity levels in families, but I believe mine is much, much more grave.

I will not tolerate the song "The Christmas Shoes."

My mom and a cousin love it insanely, and cry, and talk about how beautiful it is. Besides the fact that I hate glurge, I also think the song has a hugely problematic message. Plus I think it's a terrible song music-wise. But those who just love it and think it "embodies the true meaning of Christmas" seem to think that the more they play it, I'll eventually come around. And it won't happen.

Now, do I ask my mom to not play the stupid song when we have Christmas music on, or do I just quietly sneak into her mp3 files and hide the dang thing?

When will I learn? When? When somebody on EHell says 'see this? this is a bad bad thing', why do I always hit google? Why do I not think 'poundcake writes like an intelligent individual who wouldn't lie to me'? Why? Why do I go to Youtube?

Poundcake, corrupt the mp3 file. Do it now. I'll give you an alibi. And if anybody thinks that we in the UK need this as one of our Christmas traditions, I'm volunteering for the barricades. Generally, I don't think that we need to protect our borders with heavy artillery, but in this case I'm prepared to make an exception.

I would like to think that listening to this song could be considered an Act of Terror, frankly. It is the holiday song equivalent of "It must be nice."

Patton Oswalt does a fantastic (NSFW) ripping apart breakdown of this horrible song, if you need a glurge antidote. Maybe I should add an mp3 of that to the Christmas playlist? Or at least the more heartwarming "Please, Daddy, Don't Get Drunk This Christmas."
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:59:40 AM by poundcake »

greencat

« Reply #952 on: December 09, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »
I will probably run screaming out of any commercial space I find myself in that's playing "Have a Wonderful Christmastime."  I worked somewhere that played the satellite radio holiday station all day long last year.  It's a real wonder I didn't crack - the station only seemed to play about 25 songs, for hours on end.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #953 on: December 09, 2013, 12:20:37 PM »
Here's a wonderful palate cleanser:  A choral arrangement of MST3K's Let's Have a Patrick Swayze Christmas This Year

ETA: The original!
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

wheeitsme

« Reply #954 on: December 09, 2013, 12:39:29 PM »
I understand that most hills involve negotiating boundaries and varying toxicity levels in families, but I believe mine is much, much more grave.

I will not tolerate the song "The Christmas Shoes."

My mom and a cousin love it insanely, and cry, and talk about how beautiful it is. Besides the fact that I hate glurge, I also think the song has a hugely problematic message. Plus I think it's a terrible song music-wise. But those who just love it and think it "embodies the true meaning of Christmas" seem to think that the more they play it, I'll eventually come around. And it won't happen.

Now, do I ask my mom to not play the stupid song when we have Christmas music on, or do I just quietly sneak into her mp3 files and hide the dang thing?

Replace it with Trans-Siberian Orchestra.  ;)

...edited to add:

And one of my favorite Christmas songs these days is by an atheist, LOL.  White Wine in the Sun by Tim Minchin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCNvZqpa-7Q
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:55:57 PM by wheeitsme »

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #955 on: December 09, 2013, 12:40:06 PM »

I would like to think that listening to this song could be considered an Act of Terror, frankly. It is the holiday song equivalent of "It must be nice."

Patton Oswalt does a fantastic (NSFW) ripping apart breakdown of this horrible song, if you need a glurge antidote. Maybe I should add an mp3 of that to the Christmas playlist? Or at least the more heartwarming "Please, Daddy, Don't Get Drunk This Christmas."

Voltaire's Comin' Out for Christmas. Not even a little bit safe for anybody easily offended.

Tsaiko

« Reply #956 on: December 09, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »
My holiday hill to die on is Christmas music.

I don't want to listen to it. I will tolerate it on Christmas day. I will listen to an occasional choral/instrumental pieces or the really out there ones (I still love the Hawaiian Christmas and the Grinch song), but only one song at a time. Then I want to hear something else. You like Christmas music? Good for you! You can go listen to it somewhere else. Preferably out of ear shot of me. If it comes on the radio, I am changing the station. Don't like it? It's my car (or my wife's car) and she isn't big on it either.

I had a job that for 4yrs running I had to listen to Christmas music for 40 hours a week, every single week, starting Nov. 1st and ending the day after Christmas. That is approximately 1600hrs of trite, nostalgic holiday cheer shoved into my brain. It was non-stop and there was no where at work I could go to not listen to it. I know all the words to every popular Christmas song, and they still get stuck in my head to the point I want to cry rather than listen to my brain repeat another chorus of White Christmas in Bing Crosby's voice.

I use to like Christmas music. Now I cannot stand it.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #957 on: December 09, 2013, 01:36:50 PM »
My holiday hill to die on is Christmas music.

I don't want to listen to it. I will tolerate it on Christmas day. I will listen to an occasional choral/instrumental pieces or the really out there ones (I still love the Hawaiian Christmas and the Grinch song), but only one song at a time. Then I want to hear something else. You like Christmas music? Good for you! You can go listen to it somewhere else. Preferably out of ear shot of me. If it comes on the radio, I am changing the station. Don't like it? It's my car (or my wife's car) and she isn't big on it either.

I had a job that for 4yrs running I had to listen to Christmas music for 40 hours a week, every single week, starting Nov. 1st and ending the day after Christmas. That is approximately 1600hrs of trite, nostalgic holiday cheer shoved into my brain. It was non-stop and there was no where at work I could go to not listen to it. I know all the words to every popular Christmas song, and they still get stuck in my head to the point I want to cry rather than listen to my brain repeat another chorus of White Christmas in Bing Crosby's voice.

I use to like Christmas music. Now I cannot stand it.

Wow, I have a twin and didn't even know it.  I will listen to Christmas music on Christmas only.  Christmas is a beautiful thing when it is one day only.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #958 on: December 09, 2013, 01:37:22 PM »
I hear ya, Tsaiko. I used to work at a radio station and there are several holiday songs that make me want to scream, simply from overexposure.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #959 on: December 09, 2013, 01:43:59 PM »

I prefer The Pogues' "Fairytale of New York" for my glurge antidote.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture