Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 234420 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #960 on: December 09, 2013, 01:59:07 PM »
My holiday hill to die on is Christmas music.

I don't want to listen to it. I will tolerate it on Christmas day. I will listen to an occasional choral/instrumental pieces or the really out there ones (I still love the Hawaiian Christmas and the Grinch song), but only one song at a time. Then I want to hear something else. You like Christmas music? Good for you! You can go listen to it somewhere else. Preferably out of ear shot of me. If it comes on the radio, I am changing the station. Don't like it? It's my car (or my wife's car) and she isn't big on it either.

I had a job that for 4yrs running I had to listen to Christmas music for 40 hours a week, every single week, starting Nov. 1st and ending the day after Christmas. That is approximately 1600hrs of trite, nostalgic holiday cheer shoved into my brain. It was non-stop and there was no where at work I could go to not listen to it. I know all the words to every popular Christmas song, and they still get stuck in my head to the point I want to cry rather than listen to my brain repeat another chorus of White Christmas in Bing Crosby's voice.

I use to like Christmas music. Now I cannot stand it.

Wow, I have a twin and didn't even know it.  I will listen to Christmas music on Christmas only.  Christmas is a beautiful thing when it is one day only.

You have more than that.  A friend of mine who hasn't worked in retail for about 12 years still can't stand Christmas music.  One store completely ruined The Nutcracker for her.

My hill to die on from this point on is going to be self-pity.  I was on the phone an hour ago with someone who has no Christmas plans because "I have no family here, no friends, and nobody loves me! [fill in the rest]."  The next time I talk to her it's going to be "What are you going to do about this?"

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #961 on: December 09, 2013, 02:04:19 PM »
My hill to die on from this point on is going to be self-pity.  I was on the phone an hour ago with someone who has no Christmas plans because "I have no family here, no friends, and nobody loves me! [fill in the rest]."  The next time I talk to her it's going to be "What are you going to do about this?"

I bet there are several charities in her area that would love to have her help dishing out dinner to the less fortunate!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #962 on: December 09, 2013, 02:40:58 PM »
She just said during a conversation less than an hour ago that none of these things take place on Christmas Day.

My college buddy hasn't had a "family Thanksgiving" for the past two years because his sister and BIL can no longer host (They're the only ones with adequate space).  Rather than feel sorry for himself, he picks up food the day before to nuke while he watches movies and sports.

wheeitsme

« Reply #963 on: December 09, 2013, 04:08:48 PM »
Patton Oswalt does a fantastic (NSFW) ripping apart breakdown of this horrible song, if you need a glurge antidote. Maybe I should add an mp3 of that to the Christmas playlist? Or at least the more heartwarming "Please, Daddy, Don't Get Drunk This Christmas."

I prefer The Pogues' "Fairytale of New York" for my glurge antidote.

I saw them do that in person a couple of years ago.  Love it.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #964 on: December 09, 2013, 05:01:31 PM »
Living on base is different than living in an regular neighborhood. There is a "we're all in this together" mentality. Word had somehow gotten around about mom's illness and dad's sweet but fumbling attempts at cooking...next thing you know the other mom's in the neighborhood show up, each bearing yummy food to share with us! These ladies made sure that we had a great meal and helped dad out so much. It's a really sweet memory for us-true community and neighborliness at its best.
We military families have to stick together and take care of our own, because more often than not, there is no blood family available.  I can't count the number of stray airmen who joined us at our holiday celebrations over the years.  The potluck Christmas of 1979 stands out too.  DH's section had to work a full day shift Xmas Day, so we all celebrated together on their next break day.  Ever make Chicken Kiev for 25 people?   ;D

I'm picturing a single giant chicken kiev.

In Ukraine, chicken eat you!

Tia2

« Reply #965 on: December 09, 2013, 06:51:04 PM »

I bet there are several charities in her area that would love to have her help dishing out dinner to the less fortunate!

Actually, a lot of charities are overrun by people who just want to help on Christmas Day - it isn't always practical since there needs to be at least basic training, which for one day a year, isn't worth it.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #966 on: December 09, 2013, 08:41:07 PM »
I don't eat turkey or sweet potatoes or green bean casserole or cranberry sauce...

~gasps in faux horror~  So... it was just another Thursday night dinner?   ;)

Well, another Thursday night dinner with eight pies for fourteen people. So no complaints at all, really. :)

Did you count the cakes, pies, brownies, Rice Crispie treats, and cookies?  At Grandma's house - the dessert table was an overcrowded card table - the plates & forks had to be put on the main table, as well as a few desserts left in the kitchen "for later" (the cookie plates were refilled as they ran low). 

++++

I listen to Christmas music for about a week (or less) by choice (fast food & retail jobs when younger) - I can handle a few carols on the radio while driving around to do the shopping - but then I change stations when I've hit my limit. 

It will keep me awake when driving to visit relatives or friends over the break...military family - some years we went "back home" and other years we "stayed home" - depended on what WE felt like doing that year...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:03:03 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #967 on: December 09, 2013, 10:05:23 PM »
I'm very picky about which specific versions of Christmas songs I like. There are a few songs I kind of refuse to listen to under all circumstances, and a few others that I can only take in limited doses (even when sung by someone I otherwise like).

O Holy Night kills me every year. Especially since the Josh Groban version, which I find to be truly one of the worst renditions of that song, is extremely popular on the Christmas radio station here. That and what can only be called jazz muzak.

I am also fundamentally opposed to having the Hallelujah Chorus played at Christmas. I may have posted about this on this thread before (since this thread is old and this is one of my recurring pet peeves), but seriously. There's a perfectly lovely chorus that is actually about Christmas ("For unto us a child is born"). But I guess if they really want to talk about Jesus dying and being resurrected as a way of celebrating his birth, whatever.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #968 on: December 09, 2013, 10:44:28 PM »
This is not holiday music per se, but I was in starbucks at the mall and right after a perfectly innocuous x-mas song went off, the most diety-awful version of Sweet Child O Mine came on.  It was like a folk-emo-bluegrass version with wispy drawn out vocals and extended slow riffs of instrumentals.

It was so bad that the cashier, who was also the manager, excused himself and ran to turn it off. 

LeveeWoman

« Reply #969 on: December 09, 2013, 11:11:08 PM »
If anyone tries to persuade me or my guests about the merits of a certain government program, she or he will find herself or himself looking up my driveway in short order.

crella

« Reply #970 on: December 09, 2013, 11:56:04 PM »
In Japan there seem to be only three or four Christmas songs that are allowed to be played in all the nation  :P :P :P

Everywhere you go you will, without fail hear, multiple times a day-

Wham!'s 'Last Christmas'
Paul McCartney's 'Wonderful Christmas Time'
Tatsuro Yamashita's 'Christmas Eve'
John Lennon's 'Happy X'mas  (War is Over)'

Wham! is the worst, in a day out you can easily hear it 30 times a day. Stop it! ARRRGGGHH!  ;D

Edited to fix a brain glitch.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:57:39 PM by crella »

CakeEater

« Reply #971 on: December 10, 2013, 02:23:13 AM »
In Japan there seem to be only three or four Christmas songs that are allowed to be played in all the nation  :P :P :P

Wham!'s 'Last Christmas'

Wham! is the worst, in a day out you can easily hear it 30 times a day. Stop it! ARRRGGGHH!  ;D

Edited to fix a brain glitch.

'Last Christmas' was kind-of the first pop song I knew as a child, so I like hearing it for nostalgia reasons. But 30 times a day would definitely be scream-inducing.

Tsaiko

« Reply #972 on: December 10, 2013, 07:00:18 AM »

Wham!'s 'Last Christmas'

I honestly think that is my own personal version of Hell right there.

I'm glad to hear other people have been burnt out on Christmas music due to previous jobs. My family/friends really just don't get it. Every time I've said I no longer like the bulk of Christmas music, they look at me like I've stated I prefer filet mignon flavored with souls of puppies and the tears of children.

Kariachi

« Reply #973 on: December 10, 2013, 10:44:15 AM »
I can't say it's a hill to die on, mostly because my mother and I have no choice in the matter, but my dad's A Very Metal Christmas cd needs to die.

As I told my mother last week, they took the longest, slowest, most boring Christmas songs and made them longer, slower and even more boring. It is a miracle of evil. >:(
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #974 on: December 10, 2013, 11:12:37 AM »
Worse than Christmas music has to be the store muzak.  You know the stuff.  Horrible, aspartame-sweet, vomit-inducing pan-piped nightmares..  They take an annoying Christmas song that is annoying, but tolerable, in its usual state.  Then they basically shove it through a music mangle and destroy it. It comes out the other end sounding even worse than (is it possible??) "My Heart Will Go On".

And they play this stuff in every shop, every shopping centre and even outside at the Christmas Market in Nottingham on a Saturday.  I am never setting foot out my house on a Saturday before Christmas.  Not ever again.

So yeah, muzak. Go die. Or I will.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.