Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 243480 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #975 on: December 10, 2013, 11:19:07 AM »
See, I don't really have a problem with Christmas music piped into the malls, etc.  BUT NOT THE DAY AFTER HALLOWEEN!  No wonder retail workers go mental this time of year.

If they started the first Sunday in Advent, or after US Thanksgiving, with playing a sound track with the odd Christmas song woven into regular music, then slowly increased the number of Christmas songs the closer it got to Christmas, it wouldn't be so bad.  This is what my local radio station does.  Then Christmas Eve/Christmas Day, it is all Christmas songs.

I, too, avoid the malls as much as I possibly can in November/December.  As much for the crowds as for the canned music, though.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

cwm

« Reply #976 on: December 10, 2013, 11:28:45 AM »
I, too, avoid the malls as much as I possibly can in November/December.  As much for the crowds as for the canned music, though.

The day before Thanksgiving this year, BF realized he didn't have what he needed to make his dish. I just about throttled him, because I had said that I was wanting a few things from the grocery store, he expected me to go with him. The few things I wanted? I had planned on getting on Saturday, it was honey or sugar and some instant oatmeal to take in to work with me.

I usually avoid the mall from mid November until my sister's birthday in early January. Much safer and smarter that way. No holiday music or holiday crowds, no tired children being dragged around by their parents.

The holiday music was worse when I was at the outdoor store. It was all country pop holiday covers. I don't like country pop. I don't like a lot of country. I don't like much holiday music. And I had no control over the volume. At least at the grooming salon we could turn the music off. Managers didn't like it because we'd miss pages over the intercom, but honestly with all the dogs, unless the music was blaring, we wouldn't hear them anyway, and we could always use the excuse of "Well, the music was upsetting the dogs." Blessed relief, at least some of the time.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #977 on: December 10, 2013, 11:36:23 AM »
My hill this year is staying home. I'm not up to a big celebration so I'm creating a home spa day. If we get two days off (don't know yet) then it will be 2 days of spa. Either way, I want to make it easy on myself. I miss mom and doing Christmassy stuff hurts too much.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

nuit93

« Reply #978 on: December 10, 2013, 11:38:02 AM »
In Japan there seem to be only three or four Christmas songs that are allowed to be played in all the nation  :P :P :P

Everywhere you go you will, without fail hear, multiple times a day-

Wham!'s 'Last Christmas'
Paul McCartney's 'Wonderful Christmas Time'
Tatsuro Yamashita's 'Christmas Eve'
John Lennon's 'Happy X'mas  (War is Over)'

Wham! is the worst, in a day out you can easily hear it 30 times a day. Stop it! ARRRGGGHH!  ;D

I honestly think that is my own personal version of Hell right there.

I'm glad to hear other people have been burnt out on Christmas music due to previous jobs. My family/friends really just don't get it. Every time I've said I no longer like the bulk of Christmas music, they look at me like I've stated I prefer filet mignon flavored with souls of puppies and the tears of children.

But the tears bring out such lovely flavor!

But aside from that--yeah, a few stints in retail and Christmas music loses its appeal rapidly.  I can tolerate it the week of Christmas and that's about it.  The rest of the time, the only holiday songs I'm listening to are most decidedly not work-safe.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #979 on: December 10, 2013, 11:44:46 AM »
I'm doing a short term event in a mall for the holidays.  If I never ever hear X-mas music again, it will be too soon.  Although I will say that they do mix it up by doing short bursts of x-mas music and then do top 100 pop songs

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #980 on: December 10, 2013, 01:49:53 PM »
This is not holiday music per se, but I was in starbucks at the mall and right after a perfectly innocuous x-mas song went off, the most diety-awful version of Sweet Child O Mine came on.  It was like a folk-emo-bluegrass version with wispy drawn out vocals and extended slow riffs of instrumentals.

It was so bad that the cashier, who was also the manager, excused himself and ran to turn it off.

First off, this is my ninth season of holiday retail hell, and I am completely and utterly sick of holiday music. we have the most deity-awful versions of some songs. One of the most memorable was last year's 18 minute (Yes, I timed it) jazzy, vocal and instrumental version of 'My Favorite things" And when, pray tell, did that become a HOLIDAY song? then again, I've never seen the SOM, so perhaps it is, and I just don't know it.

we have some real doozies "Do you Want to Spend Christmas on Christmas Island" "Ring the Bells", "Mele Kalikimaka (Hawaiian Christmas Song)", "I'm the Happiest Christmas Tree", several verisons of Felice Navidad, and several versions of "Santa Baby"

That being said, I generally prefer the traditional versions of most songs. i can and will still listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir cd i have, of Christmas music.

And finally, we too have some deity-awful versions of some headbanger music in my store. a jazzy rendition of AC/DC's "Dirty Deeds" and some others. Just awful.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #981 on: December 10, 2013, 01:54:56 PM »
See, I don't really have a problem with Christmas music piped into the malls, etc.  BUT NOT THE DAY AFTER HALLOWEEN!  No wonder retail workers go mental this time of year.

If they started the first Sunday in Advent, or after US Thanksgiving, with playing a sound track with the odd Christmas song woven into regular music, then slowly increased the number of Christmas songs the closer it got to Christmas, it wouldn't be so bad.  This is what my local radio station does.  Then Christmas Eve/Christmas Day, it is all Christmas songs.
The local radio station that we usually listened to used to do that.  Now it's solid Xmas songs from the first week or so of November.  We are REALLY enjoying the satellite radio in our current car -- they keep the Xmas music to two channels, so that the regular channels continue to play their usual music, and we only listen to Xmas when WE want to.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

medowynd

« Reply #982 on: December 10, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »
My favorite Christmas music story.  I was working at Kohl's years ago and went into work on the 26th.  There was no Christmas music, some version of rock, short of rap.  I told my coworkers that the head honchos were on vacation.  I told them that the Muzak would return on January 2nd.  They thought I had an inside pal, when sure enough, elevator music returned.  We did enjoy the change of music for that week.

cwm

« Reply #983 on: December 10, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »
This is not holiday music per se, but I was in starbucks at the mall and right after a perfectly innocuous x-mas song went off, the most diety-awful version of Sweet Child O Mine came on.  It was like a folk-emo-bluegrass version with wispy drawn out vocals and extended slow riffs of instrumentals.

It was so bad that the cashier, who was also the manager, excused himself and ran to turn it off.

First off, this is my ninth season of holiday retail hell, and I am completely and utterly sick of holiday music. we have the most deity-awful versions of some songs. One of the most memorable was last year's 18 minute (Yes, I timed it) jazzy, vocal and instrumental version of 'My Favorite things" And when, pray tell, did that become a HOLIDAY song? then again, I've never seen the SOM, so perhaps it is, and I just don't know it.

we have some real doozies "Do you Want to Spend Christmas on Christmas Island" "Ring the Bells", "Mele Kalikimaka (Hawaiian Christmas Song)", "I'm the Happiest Christmas Tree", several verisons of Felice Navidad, and several versions of "Santa Baby"

That being said, I generally prefer the traditional versions of most songs. i can and will still listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir cd i have, of Christmas music.

And finally, we too have some deity-awful versions of some headbanger music in my store. a jazzy rendition of AC/DC's "Dirty Deeds" and some others. Just awful.

Ah, yes, Mormon Tabernacle Choir. They fill out my list of "approved" Christmas music, with Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Vienna Boys' Choir, and Mannheim Steamroller. I love me some traditional choral music, and instrumental music. It's wonderful. Pop Christmas, however, just needs to go away.

Also, ninth retial holiday season? Oh, honey. I know you didn't ask for them, but ((hugs)). One was bad enough for me. One in a service industry attached to a retail store was nearly as bad. I'm so glad to be at a call center for a completely non-retail driven industry now. Much better with no music.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #984 on: December 10, 2013, 03:19:38 PM »
Love Straight No Chaser, Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Loreena McKennitt's Christmas music. 

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #985 on: December 10, 2013, 03:28:48 PM »

Ah, yes, Mormon Tabernacle Choir. They fill out my list of "approved" Christmas music, with Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Vienna Boys' Choir, and Mannheim Steamroller. I love me some traditional choral music, and instrumental music. It's wonderful. Pop Christmas, however, just needs to go away.

Also, ninth retial holiday season? Oh, honey. I know you didn't ask for them, but ((hugs)). One was bad enough for me. One in a service industry attached to a retail store was nearly as bad. I'm so glad to be at a call center for a completely non-retail driven industry now. Much better with no music.

Please take my share of the Mo Tab Choir.  Please.  I'm MTC'd completely out.  (I live here.)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #986 on: December 10, 2013, 03:37:37 PM »
Am I the only one who is sick of  Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Mannheim Steamroller?

For almost 20 years, my DH has tried to make that the default Christmas music in our home. After 5 years I hid the CD's but low and behold I was sabotaged by iTunes and mp3's. Now I just put my foot down and insist that after 2 hours of it, it's time to move on to something else. He no longer gives me grieve about Christmas Lullaby by Kim Robertson a harpist, but darn it I want to listen to my Bing Crosby Christmas music too.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #987 on: December 10, 2013, 03:41:34 PM »
I really don't like the old standard Christmas songs, especially those by the Carpenters, Anne Murray or country versions.

Elisabunny

« Reply #988 on: December 10, 2013, 03:46:55 PM »

Cwm, I pretty much could have written that first paragraph.  Although I will also add Nat King Cole, Tennessee Ernie Ford, and a few others of that era.  And now that DH has sent me some proper Christmas CDs, I don't have to put up with pop.

I also survived only one retail holiday season, part-time at that.  The store had a tape, which they played over and over and over again.  It was bad enough during the evening shifts.  The 8-hour weekend shifts were sheer torture.  I don't know how the full-timers didn't go insane.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #989 on: December 10, 2013, 03:55:36 PM »
Am I the only one who is sick of  Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Mannheim Steamroller?

For almost 20 years, my DH has tried to make that the default Christmas music in our home. After 5 years I hid the CD's but low and behold I was sabotaged by iTunes and mp3's. Now I just put my foot down and insist that after 2 hours of it, it's time to move on to something else. He no longer gives me grieve about Christmas Lullaby by Kim Robertson a harpist, but darn it I want to listen to my Bing Crosby Christmas music too.

I LOVE both of those, and it's not Christmas to me until I've heard MS's Carol of the Bells.

However, if that were ALL I were hearing, I'd go bonkers too. Some years ago, some friends put together some holiday music mix CD lists to swap. Based on those, I've got a nicely varied collection.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture