Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 245417 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2011, 07:21:53 AM »
I do remember my other hill to die on. When I host or at least provide the place for the event, I emphatically will use china or at least Corelle, silver or stainless flatware, cloth napkins and tablecloths.

We are providing the place for about 40 for pre-Thanksgiving dinner. I am doing very little cooking and am not able to do heavy cleaning because the recovery from my back surgery is not complete, but I can decorate, dust, vacuum, clean the bathrooms, and set tables that have been set up for me, and spend three or four days cleaning up and doing laundry. I enjoy doing it even if I have little stamina right now. 

We only use paper and plastic at the campground, and even then only for groups larger than seven.

Lots of people hate this aspect of entertaining. and when I visit them, all I ask expect is enough food and clean bathrooms.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2011, 01:12:11 PM »
Magician 5, I am sorry for the loss of your FIL, and sorry you had a stroke, but the way you wrote that was hilarious!  "Diiiiieeeee". 

Misha, you need to capture phone video of your Uncle dancing alone.  Since he seems to love 80s hits, bonus poits if you can get him dancing to Billy Idol's "Dancing With Myself."    ;D  Our family seems to have such...staid holidays anymore, and I miss stuff like this. 

(Well, there was a little 'excitement" last year, when BIL & SIL made their extended stay, but that was a one-off.)
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

HelenB

« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2011, 01:26:51 PM »
Turns out to be easier than I thought. There was a major screaming match between members of the family, and Christmas is cancelled this year!

Miss Misha

« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2011, 01:52:06 PM »
Miss Misha, you're not a bad daughter.  You are someone doing her best in a difficult situation.  It is very difficult to be a care taker to a mother with dementia - I know.

PS Is there any chance that your mother still likes to dance?

Ok, Doodlmor, now my fellow cube farm inhabitants are wondering why I'm laughing so hard!!!!  :D :D :D

<snip>Misha, you need to capture phone video of your Uncle dancing alone.  Since he seems to love 80s hits, bonus poits if you can get him dancing to Billy Idol's "Dancing With Myself."    ;D  Our family seems to have such...staid holidays anymore, and I miss stuff like this.  <snip>

2LittleYorkies, I'm soooooo going to download that and give it to Uncle for "dance time".
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:56:01 PM by Miss Misha »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2011, 02:29:29 PM »
My hill is upcoming in a few years (hopefully quite a few!)

My Mom passed 8 years ago.  My Dad is now 77.  There is only my brother and I.  My brother is married with two sons, 17 and 19.  I'm single.

Right now, we get together at my brother's house or my Dad's for most of the major holidays.  No matter where we are, I'm coordinating the cooking.  I get help with all the prep work but I'm the one cooking the turkey and doing the gravy and so on, mainly because I'm the only one who is organized enough to have it all out on the table at the same time.  I don't really mind because then once the table is cleared and the leftovers are put away, I'm done.  No dishes for me.

But once my Dad passes, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  My nephews may well have families of their own by then and have to coordinate with their wives families, too.  And I'm not sure I want to spend holidays with just my brother and SIL.  My brother and I have never really been close - he's five years older - and I'm not over fond of my SIL, who is six years older again than my brother.  Don't get me wrong; in a crisis, my brother would be right there and vice versa but we're not buds, ya know?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Arrynne

« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
A possibility for the Christmas Tree.

I assume it's artificial. If so, does it come in parts?  Would it be possible to set up the top section as a small table tree?  We've done that when space or time is tight.  It's not a perfect solution but it does make the place feel like Christmas.

It's hard to set up just part of an artificial tree, the way they come together.

That doesn't rule out a small tree, though.  My artificial tree is 3' tall and cost $10.  Perfect for tiny apartments.

My SIL had one that was 6 ft tall, but was super skinny so it didn't take up a lot of space.    When I was growing up we had a 3 or 4 ft tall tree that we would put on an end table to make it look taller.   It also gave us extra space to put presents underneath.  Since there were frequently 11 of us at Christmas, and the house was under 900 sq. feet, space was at a premium.

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2011, 12:43:31 PM »
Ohhhhh my mom just had a hill to die on moment....

In the past Thanksgiving had been at grandma's. Grandma lives across the street from a church where we set up the food in the fellowship hall so we can all sit together.

Mom was talking with toxic aunt about thanksgiving this year. Toxic aunt is going to make the turkey. Mom says she will bring over the mashed potatoes and that her friend, NiceLady, will bring some veggie dishes. Toxic aunt says "Well NiceLady is NOT family so she is not invited to our FAMILY thanksgiving!"  Note, NiceLady is like a 2nd mom to me, helps the family during rough times, and generally keeps my mom sane as her Best Friend.   

Mom asked me if she could make thanksgiving dinner at my house and bring NiceLady along too. WIN!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:10:28 PM by WhiteTigerCub »

Arizona

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2011, 01:07:34 PM »

In the past Thanksgiving had been at grandma's. Grandma lives across the street from a church where we set up the food in the fellowship hall so we can all sit together.

Mom was talking with toxic aunt about thanksgiving this year. Toxic aunt is going to make the turkey. Mom says she will bring over the mashed potatoes and that her friend, NiceLady, will bring some veggie dishes. Toxic aunt says "Well NiceLady is NOT family so she is not invited to our FAMILY thanksgiving!"  Note, NiceLady is like a 2nd mom to me, helps the family during rough times, and generally keeps my mom sane as her Best Friend.   

Mom asked me if we she could make thanksgiving dinner at my house and bring NiceLady along too. WIN!

Yes! Very much win! I'm sorry you have a pill of an aunt, though.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2011, 01:15:52 PM »

Mom asked me if we she could make thanksgiving dinner at my house and bring NiceLady along too. WIN!

Yes! Very much win! I'm sorry you have a pill of an aunt, though.

Thank you. It's a wonderful thing I live about 100 miles away from her so I don't have to see her except once a year. Even then she gets a modified version of the direct cut. She is like a ghost, I don't see or hear her most of the time. I think I have maybe said just two words to her over the last couple of years. "Yep" and "Bye"   ;D

Arizona

heartmug

« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2011, 01:32:33 PM »

Mom asked me if she could make thanksgiving dinner at my house and bring NiceLady along too. WIN!

Geez, sounds like the one year I was hosting Christmas Day at my house.  My sister's best friend, Kari, lives in our state and all of her family lives in the mid-west.  She was due to fly out Christmas Eve but her state got socked with snow.  The next day, she was still going no where so sister asked if she could come along.  Of course!  Lovely girl but mom had a fit.  She is not "family" and I replied "Because she is not blood related she should be home alone on Christmas Day?"  She came and we all had a good time.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

magician5

« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2011, 02:34:22 PM »
The next day, she was still going no where so sister asked if she could come along.  Of course!  Lovely girl but mom had a fit.  She is not "family" and I replied "Because she is not blood related she should be home alone on Christmas Day?"  She came and we all had a good time.

Sometimes, for me, there are advantages to being adopted. Whoever is family, is family because I say they're family. Whenever someone says I have to go to an event, or invite someone, "because they're family", I decide whether they're family to me or not. Others may disagree, but I make my own decisions, and I'm perfectly prepared to live with any consequences. Haven't regretted any such decisions yet.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

darling

« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2011, 04:23:32 PM »
My hill to die on this year? Convincing my granny to add another table in the living room, so that 11 of us don't end up crowded into a corner of the dining room at a table meant for six. There is nothing more miserable than being stuck at the kids' table when you are 39, and your "child" is 17, and you've got nephews and cousins' children practically in your lap, knocking over stuff, and putting fingers into the butter and each other's plates. Since two tables have "always been enough before", this may not be successful.

Also, how the person with the oldest child STILL ends up at the kids table, while those with the younger children are at the adult table, nowhere near THEIR OWN children, is an entirely different hill. My aunt S always takes pity on me and sits nearby, so I at least get some socialization, but jeesh, at 39 and 50, you'd think we'd get a break from that, what with our kids being 17 and 16 and all.

To be clear, sitting at the kids' table wouldn't be a problem at all if there was ROOM for all of us, and if my cousins would just sit with their small children for a change. I gave up eating almost completely last Thanksgiving, since I was stuck on the side of the table that bordered the path to the kitchen and the leftovers. After getting up and smooshing myself smaller and smaller to let others through, I decided enough was enough. 

I'm just hoping I don't lose it this year, though. Something happened to me over the summer, and my brain-to-mouth filter is mostly just gone.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 04:25:16 PM by janedarling »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2011, 04:40:27 PM »
Jane, in your place, I think I'd just take my chair and my plate and eat on my lap in a quiet corner somewhere!  I might not get to socialize but at least I could eat my meal in peace.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Wendy Moira Angela Pan

• Formerly Ms. Wendy
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2011, 05:32:22 PM »
Been lurking in this thread and just popped in to say hi to janedarling. I see I have a descendent I did not know about.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2011, 07:36:26 PM »
Hill to die on? Yeah ... and I died.

Until about 8 years ago, it was mandatory ... we HAD to go on the 4-hour drive to be at my wife's childhood home with her family ON CHRISTMAS DAY. It did no good to point at the radio and say "see, they're playing 'It's So Nice to Be Home For The Holidays', we're married with 2 children, so why can't we be home?"

My FIL had been trading on his frail health for years ... can't upset or worry 'The Holy Father' 'cause he has a heart condition and he might diiiiieeee. That led to a few instances (it wasn't constant, but it was repeated) of him running roughshod over boundaries, and you can't tell him 'no' because he might diiiiieeee. I couldn't even disagree with the old so-and-so without a kneejerk screaming session from my wife because he might get upset and diiiiieeee. I never got her to understand that gentlemen of good character may disagree on occasion. I never got her to understand that I didn't hate my FIL (even though neither he nor I went with the women to late Christmas Eve church, and we would chat away the evening and he confided numerous things about his health and his history that he had never told anyone else in the family).

I never once got to have Christmas at home because he'd get upset if he didn't see the children come running down the stairs to tear into presents. I never once saw that at my house. Not that I wanted it that badly, I just wanted to come FIRST for once in my marriage. Until I had a stroke 10 years ago plus 'The Holy Father' finally dropped the other shoe and diiiiieeeed. Then we agreed that, between my disability and my attitude, we could stay home on The Big Day and they could go without me on the following weekend.
Am I a bad person because I find this post hilarious?