Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 245267 times)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #285 on: January 08, 2012, 05:38:59 PM »
Considering what happened this year with presents for my FIL, my holiday hill to die on will be not to buy him clothing.  All of it has 'disappeared for alterations'.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #286 on: January 09, 2012, 12:27:36 AM »
Considering what happened this year with presents for my FIL, my holiday hill to die on will be not to buy him clothing.  All of it has 'disappeared for alterations'.

??? Does that mean they got rid of them and don't want to admit it or they are just being picky or what?
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #287 on: January 09, 2012, 05:01:11 AM »

??? Does that mean they got rid of them and don't want to admit it or they are just being picky or what?

We had a very specific set of measurements, sizes, fasteners and colors we were given that everything had to be, so we special ordered him these items.

He unwrapped them Christmas day and seemed pleased.   We hung them up for him so he wouldn't have to.  The next day, my SIL came and took everything "because they were the wrong size".
She didn't bother to tell him.  So he called for a few days wondering where his clothes were.  He still doesn't have them back.

otterwoman

« Reply #288 on: January 09, 2012, 08:55:25 AM »

We had a very specific set of measurements, sizes, fasteners and colors we were given that everything had to be, so we special ordered him these items.

He unwrapped them Christmas day and seemed pleased.   We hung them up for him so he wouldn't have to.  The next day, my SIL came and took everything "because they were the wrong size".
She didn't bother to tell him.  So he called for a few days wondering where his clothes were.  He still doesn't have them back.

I'd send your SIL the bill to replace everything.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #289 on: January 09, 2012, 09:53:42 AM »

So your SIL stole them?  Have you called her about this and demanded them back?

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #290 on: January 09, 2012, 02:05:23 PM »

How horrible! Hugs to your FiL.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #291 on: January 09, 2012, 02:09:25 PM »

No, I expect they will get back when they celebrate Christmas with him.  She is the apple of his eye and can do no wrong. 

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #292 on: January 09, 2012, 02:11:04 PM »

No, I expect they will get back when they celebrate Christmas with him.  She is the apple of his eye and can do no wrong. 

Can you tell us exactly WHY your SIL took the clothing?  Was she planning on exchanging them for him?  I'm not really following you here. 

AngelicGamer

« Reply #293 on: January 09, 2012, 02:18:14 PM »

Can you tell us exactly WHY your SIL took the clothing?  Was she planning on exchanging them for him?  I'm not really following you here.

Actually, it sounds like the SIL is controlling and that the FIL can only recieve his presents when she decides he can.  Which would be when he spends Christmas with her and not zyrs. 

zyrs, I would have a talk with SIL about this, especially if you see FIL wearing the clothing later in the year.  It sounds more like you have a problem with her than him. 

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #294 on: January 09, 2012, 03:02:28 PM »
I don't understand the story either, although it's certainly an interesting one.

Why did you let the SIL take his clothes in the first place?  Is she in charge of him somehow?  How did that happen?  Would it have been possible for you to have just said "No, you can't take them"?

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #295 on: January 09, 2012, 05:34:27 PM »
I don't understand the story either, although it's certainly an interesting one.

Why did you let the SIL take his clothes in the first place?  Is she in charge of him somehow?  How did that happen?  Would it have been possible for you to have just said "No, you can't take them"?

My FIL completely favors my wife's sister over his other children.  Right now due to an injury, he is in assisted care.  We are lucky to be on the visitor's list.

edited to remove a whole bunch of white space.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:10:42 PM by zyrs »

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #296 on: January 09, 2012, 05:47:17 PM »

My FIL completely favors my wife's sister over his other children.  Right now due to an injury, he is in assisted care.  We are lucky to be on the visitor's list.

How painful. Please hang in there even though you might feel rejected.

As for your hill, I agree. When my dad was in care, another resident actually was signed out to go to a ball game! (15 miles from Busch Stadium - how can you not let the her go?) I hope you can do somethiing like this  - an event, not a solid gift for him. A box of his favorite candy and a note that you carry through, for example. My dad even loved trips to any access park. Easy, cheap and the best thing in the world for him.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #297 on: January 09, 2012, 06:24:05 PM »

But WHY did your SIL take the clothing? 

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #298 on: January 09, 2012, 11:18:44 PM »

But WHY did your SIL take the clothing?

I honestly don't know.  I've just decided no more clothes.

jibby

« Reply #299 on: January 10, 2012, 05:00:48 PM »
That feel a lot like my ILs who don't believe in celebrating anything (they are Witnesses), but still want us over for Christmas. Yeah no, we're not going to sit there and not eat our turkey dinner and not unwrap presents. Just won't happen. I can't even believe they asked that of us when they know quite clearly where we stand on the matter (aka: yaaaay Christmas). DH shut them down immediately.
That makes my brain hurt.  Either you celebrate Christmas, or you don't.  You can't have it both ways.
[/b]
That is coincidentally the exact same thing DH told them.
It sounds like they're trying to enforce their religious beliefs on you.
Or maybe it's just an open invitation to hang out on a particular day that doesn't have any meaning to them.  Like any other invitation, it isn't a summons.  Is telling them, "no thanks, we're celebrating Christmas with our traditions" so difficult (unless you've already done that, then I apologize)?  Do we really need to assume the worst in everyone???