Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 222194 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #420 on: November 23, 2012, 09:10:45 PM »
I'm wondering if you could WAX the down off the duck.......

And wondering what the local salon would think if you brought in your duck for an appointment.....

Snarky and Evil are both howling with laughter at the Nantucket limerick. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

schnauzermom

« Reply #421 on: November 23, 2012, 09:25:05 PM »
When it comes time to pay for the services they could put  in on his bill. :)

Brock

JennJenn68

« Reply #422 on: November 23, 2012, 09:31:21 PM »
My hill to die on?

I refuse, point-blank, to be guilted into sending Christmas cards.  I gave it up seven years ago, when my mother died at the beginning of December.  I have never sent them since.  I wish people would quit sending them to me!  They always seem to contain those flippin' "brag letters" that, really, nobody who isn't intimately connected with the family care about even remotely.  If I'm not close enough to you to hear the news as it happens, do you think I really want to get one of those "oh, aren't we so special" epistles during a season where I'm already feeling more than a little cynical?

'Twas bad enough when postage was almost reasonable.  Not now.  Never again!

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #423 on: November 23, 2012, 09:54:33 PM »
My hill to die on?

I refuse, point-blank, to be guilted into sending Christmas cards.  I gave it up seven years ago, when my mother died at the beginning of December.  I have never sent them since.  I wish people would quit sending them to me!  They always seem to contain those flippin' "brag letters" that, really, nobody who isn't intimately connected with the family care about even remotely.  If I'm not close enough to you to hear the news as it happens, do you think I really want to get one of those "oh, aren't we so special" epistles during a season where I'm already feeling more than a little cynical?

You don't need to open them. Just toss them and don't look back. We are not trying to make you feel guilty, honest.

I drop people after 2 years, and I hope they don't get as upset as you do when I sent that second one!

I am sorry you are getting so stirred up about it, because it really isn't that big a deal to most of us.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #424 on: November 23, 2012, 09:55:35 PM »
When it comes time to pay for the services they could put  in on his bill. :)

LOL!   ;D

JennJenn68

« Reply #425 on: November 23, 2012, 09:57:35 PM »
My apologies, Luci.  I'm speaking of people who still send them to me, seven years later.  And who have been known to ask me, "Oh, didn't you get my Christmas card?" 

You're an eHellion.  You know how not to offend people--or you wouldn't be here, right? ;D

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #426 on: November 23, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »
My hill to die on?

You don't need to open them. Just toss them and don't look back. We are not trying to make you feel guilty, honest.

I drop people after 2 years, and I hope they don't get as upset as you do when I sent that second one!

I am sorry you are getting so stirred up about it, because it really isn't that big a deal to most of us.

I love getting them - especially the fun ones, like the friend who sends out a little newsletter of random things, including books she read that year, and one time, her campaign platform if she ever ran for president (my favorite was the implementation of a soy sauce packet recycling program).
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #427 on: November 23, 2012, 11:46:31 PM »
My apologies, Luci.  I'm speaking of people who still send them to me, seven years later.  And who have been known to ask me, "Oh, didn't you get my Christmas card?" 

You're an eHellion.  You know how not to offend people--or you wouldn't be here, right? ;D

Sending Christmas cards is not a guilt based operation to get people to feel bad about not sending them back. I see nothing wrong with sending cards to someone for 7 years unreciprocated. It seems like a  nice thing to do.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #428 on: November 24, 2012, 12:26:28 AM »

Sending Christmas cards is not a guilt based operation to get people to feel bad about not sending them back. I see nothing wrong with sending cards to someone for 7 years unreciprocated. It seems like a  nice thing to do.

Me too.  I send lots of Christmas cards to people who never send them back to me.  And I don't care!  I just want them to know that I am thinking of them during the holidays.  It's a little thing that may mean nothing to them, but it means something to me.

I don't understand getting so upset about people letting you know they're thinking of you.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #429 on: November 24, 2012, 02:12:39 AM »
I think it's less that people are just sending them and more the bolded:

That, to me, sounds like someone really wants a Christmas card back.  And JennJenn doesn't want to send them or be put on the spot.  I'm not sure what to tell JennJenn about what to do with them, save for thinking that "return to sender" feels rude.  Not sure about anything else.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Garden Goblin

« Reply #430 on: November 24, 2012, 10:08:01 AM »
I've never even cooked duck, it is too expensive here. Plucking them sounds like it might be too difficult to be fun, so if I do save up I'll get fillets with the skin on them.  ;)

Giving them a quick scald does help.

I do have meat ducks as well, but the 'I ain't plucking it' policy has been in place for those for a long time.  Technically though, those aren't my ducks, they just live here and their owner comes by for one about once a month. 

Another holiday hill to die on - Thanksgiving dinner is served between 2 and 4 and is followed by an hour or two of various board games.  During that period, I will NOT be answering the phone.  Since everyone who has me as an emergency contact is at my table, whatever you want can wait a couple hours.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #431 on: November 24, 2012, 08:21:23 PM »
This year, I'm not putting up with any nonsense from my sister.  If she complains about her gift, I'm taking it back, whether she protests or not. If she is rude or nasty, I'm leaving, even if dinner's only half over.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #432 on: November 24, 2012, 09:02:42 PM »
I didn't have to die on mine! For years, our extended family gathering has been ON Christmas Day, no exceptions. That makes it a lot harder as the families keep expanding, and it means I get to spend 4 hours in the car on Christmas Day, what fun. This year, we wanted to push to have it on Christmas Eve or the weekend before instead. I was expecting a big fuss and probably not actually getting it moved. Instead, as we were finishing up Thanksgiving dinner and the ladies of the family were mostly all gathered, one of them brought up "We should plan Christmas." I mentioned my idea -- and everyone jumped on it!! We're not doing it at my grandma's house for the first time this year, because of her health problems, and I guess everyone decided if we were going to change that much, we might as well change everything. So we're going to do the afternoon of Christmas Sunday. I'm SO excited!

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #433 on: November 24, 2012, 10:18:04 PM »
I was going to start a new thread asking what I should do about the holidays...then I revisited this thread and realized that...

I will most likely

DO

ABSOLUTELY

NOTHING.

And I am giving myself permission to do so.
And anything I will do will be for myself and my own well being and continued sanity.

When my mom was alive she "ran" all family celebrations, because she wanted us to do things as a family.
After she died, my father and I tried to keep the traditions, but some things weren't the same without her.
Now my father is remarried and moved away and celebrated Thanksgiving with his wife's family. He isn't on speaking terms with my brothers, they aren't on speaking terms with him, and I think they all have their heads up their rear ends and I'm sick of being in the middle. >:( So Merry dang Xmas to me: if I feel like a tree I'll put one up for myself - otherwise to heck with it. If my brothers want Xmas breakfast like we've been having through the years, they're welcome to ask for my recipes (or else chip in for groceries and/or go shopping with me, help me clean off the dining room table, and set the dang thing while they're at it).

To paraphrase Lois Griffin, I'm not going to pull a happy family Christmas out of my rear end. I'm going to drink hot chocolate, eat gingerbread, and listen to Christmas songs. I'm going to watch "Home Alone" and laugh my tail off.

I'm going to find my own Christmas, instead of killing myself trying to make everyone else's. ::)

Thank you, ehell, for giving me a candy cane spine!! ;) (helps me stay sweet but strong and a bit 'spicy' lol ;D)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #434 on: November 24, 2012, 10:23:49 PM »

But overall I am the narrator from Green Eggs And Ham: 
(with all apologies to the good Dr Seuss)

I do not like the Black Friday sale,
I do not like them, Sam's friend Gale.

I do not like going here and there
I do not like going anywhere

I do not like full parking lots
I do not like screaming tots
I do not like crazy lines
I do not like all the whines

I do not like to go with a crowd
I do not like all that loud

I would not could not travel late
I would not could not go with my mate
I would not try go hit it early
I would not deal with those who are burley

I will not go for sales so fine
I will not deal with that grind.

I can not see the need for all that stuff
I can not deal with people that rough
I can not afford to buy
I do not see why I should try

<Takes my bow>

Excellent!  I just copied and pasted that on the FB page of a friend who used to be in retail.