Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 249338 times)

Redwing

Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #585 on: December 18, 2012, 12:03:21 PM »
My DF makes a wholly different Pink Stuff. It would be horribly scary (to me, anyway) if it weren't all fresh ingredients: grapes (sliced in half), cranberries (popped in the Cuisinart with sugar and then left to sit overnight), whipped cream (as in we buy heavy cream and whip it with sugar and vanilla), apples, blueberries, raspberries, walnuts, strawberries... between the cranberries and the raspberries, it's pretty well pink.

In short, fruit and whipped cream and sugar. Yum! I thought it looked terrifying until I tried. DF grew up with it made from Cool Whip and canned stuff (probably cheap, inferior quality canned stuff), but we're Foodies (and he is, after all, a chef) so he uses all fresh ingredients.
Or it could be strawberry jello, frozen strawberries, and cool whip.  It's one of my son-in-law's holiday favorites.  He calls it pink stuff.  I call it awful.  But I make it for him!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #586 on: December 18, 2012, 12:16:02 PM »
My DF makes a wholly different Pink Stuff. It would be horribly scary (to me, anyway) if it weren't all fresh ingredients: grapes (sliced in half), cranberries (popped in the Cuisinart with sugar and then left to sit overnight), whipped cream (as in we buy heavy cream and whip it with sugar and vanilla), apples, blueberries, raspberries, walnuts, strawberries... between the cranberries and the raspberries, it's pretty well pink.

In short, fruit and whipped cream and sugar. Yum! I thought it looked terrifying until I tried. DF grew up with it made from Cool Whip and canned stuff (probably cheap, inferior quality canned stuff), but we're Foodies (and he is, after all, a chef) so he uses all fresh ingredients.
Or it could be strawberry jello, frozen strawberries, and cool whip.  It's one of my son-in-law's holiday favorites.  He calls it pink stuff.  I call it awful.  But I make it for him!
My aunt  made a similar Pink Stuff, but with the addition of cubes of angel food cake.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

lowspark

« Reply #587 on: December 18, 2012, 12:23:39 PM »
I have a recipe for a Passover-friendly dessert which involves whisking two egg whites and some chopped strawberries and some sugar in a stand mixer until it grows to about the size of half my kitchen. (Seriously, it becomes enough to overflow a fairly large serving bowl.)

It's PINK. And it's what I immediately thought of when I read "pink stuff" even though I sort of doubt it's what RooRoo was actually talking about.

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #588 on: December 18, 2012, 12:32:32 PM »
could be strawberry jello, frozen strawberries, and cool whip.

Yep, almost!

Mine's a little healthier... a little. And depending on how you feel about artificial sweetener. (No cool whip passes my threshold! Ecch!) Sugar-free Jello, and nonfat yogurt (sweetener & vanilla added). If you aren't diabetic & don't care about empty calories, use regular Jello & vanilla yogurt.

Other combos I've made: rasberry Jello and blueberries; watermelon yog. & sweet melon; lemon & mangoes.

With strawberries & blueberries, I usually use frozen unsweetened. If I'm feeling rich & energetic, which is rare, I use fresh.

Wow! There sure are a lot of recipes for pink stuff! I wanna try them all!
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

KrisLee

« Reply #589 on: December 18, 2012, 04:17:16 PM »
Quote:

We have a version of this, but with tiny pretzels mixed in. I know it sounds super weird, but it is really good!

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #590 on: December 19, 2012, 09:18:24 AM »
Now see, in my family, it's called cherry yum yum (or 'ma-ma's pink goo') and it's cool whip, cherry pie filling, nuts, marshmallows, and all in a graham cracker crust.

My new holiday hill (to bring us back on track) - I won't let the fact that my house is a wreck make me stress out about it until the weekend before Christmas. I've had no time to do anything to this point (spent the weekend at the MIL's house) and it's just going to have to wait.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #591 on: December 19, 2012, 09:51:45 AM »

Ah, "Aunt Jeanne's jello dessert" a childhood classic!  Hers also contains mini marshmallows.  It's probably totally unhealthy, but I always loved it, and it brings back happy memories of childhood family gatherings.  I wish that I had some now.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #592 on: November 19, 2013, 02:41:52 PM »
I'm resurrecting this thread because I am starting to have a hill. I am the only one in my family who is single and childless so usually I am more than happy to travel wherever and be as flexible as possible with dates and events.

However, with all of the events in the month of December including three birthdays and the holidays, having people in the family who will NOT plan ahead makes me feel like I'm supposed to sit around waiting for them to make decisions for events I should (and want to) attend instead of committing to other events I also want to attend (say, with friends).

I'm starting to commit to the other events, come heck or high water, because I feel like I am usually more than accomodating and I get tired of flying-by-the-seat-of-ones-pants/last-minute plans.

So what is your hill this year?
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #593 on: November 19, 2013, 02:53:06 PM »
I refuse to try to be 8 places at once!  I will have one plan for Christmas Eve, one for Christmas Day and that night I will sit and do what I want to.

This trying to get by everyone's home for the holidays is just nuts.  Christmas Eve I will have dinner with my DD's and Christmas Day I will have breakfast and open presents with my grand kids.  Probably have some easy to lay out spread for lunch with leftovers for dinner.

And there is no way I am taking this circus on the road - drive four plus hours to spend the night in someone's travel trailer and be uncomfortably close to other relatives stuck there also?  I think N O T !!

cwm

« Reply #594 on: November 19, 2013, 03:35:19 PM »
I agree with all the people with so many places to be.

I am an introvert. I get social anxiety. I do not like crowds. Every time I go somewhere, I have to have an "out" if I get overwhelmed. BF knows this, and so does my family. For the most part, there are no problems. But so far for this holiday season, I have:

Thanksgiving with BF's family 11/28. I've never been to their TG before, and I don't know what to expect, but I do love his extended family so it shouldn't be too bad.
Niece's birthday party 12/12
Mom's holiday open house 12/14 (I will be expected to be there to help host for several hours, which is OK by me, I can always hide in the bedroom)
Christmas Eve 12/24 at mom's house, tradition of evening gathering that's very laid back, probably with Sis and Sproglet and Mom and me, maybe Grandma
Christmas Day 12/25 - not sure what's going on, but I know BF is going to be invited to the "big" family get together we do that day, in addition to stopping by best friend from high school's house for a few hours (another tradition of mine)
Friend's Feast - date TBD - it's basically a Thanksgiving with the "family" we weren't born into with BF's extended group of friends
Holiday Party 12/28 - same people as above, and I can only handle very limited amounts of some of the people in this group. Also includes gift exchange. I said on FB I wasn't going to be participating, then this past weekend the people hosting it pressured me further saying that it didn't have to be fancy, it didn't have to be expensive, it could just be something thrown together like cookie mix or hot cocoa mix. But, you know, there's no pressure or anything, I don't have to do it if I really don't want to.
Second Holiday Party 12/28 - people I know a lot better and like a lot better, but further away, and I don't know my way up there or back, nor do I like driving in that area, so I may not be able to go
New Year's Eve Party 12/31 - same people as two parties above, a third location that I don't know where it is or my comfort level in that location
Possible second NYE party for those who work weekday jobs 12/29 - again, the same group of people and location unknown

When official invites go up on FB, I will be choosing which events I'll be attending, and sending my regrets for the rest. And if anyone says boo to me about it, I will politely explain to them that I will be unable to attend their event, I hope they have a great time. Repeatedly. I will not be pressured into going, or into participating in a gift exchange that I do not wish to participate in.

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #595 on: November 19, 2013, 03:36:56 PM »
I will no longer drive 16 hours across 3 states and 2 time zones every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas because my family wants to see me. Last I checked, the interstate runs in both directions and Houston has several working airports. For the last 4 years, if I saw my family, it was becaus we did the driving or flying. It's gotten old and it's time for others to do a bit of traveling. I work 60 hours a week, volunteer with an animal rescue and I need some time to myself. I have owned my home for 4 years. I have celebrated one holiday in it.

So this year, I am not going anywhere. The families have been told we gave plans. Just because those plans happen to be watching too much football, eating too much take out and wearing my pyjamas all day doesn't make them any less important to me.

If seeing me over the holidays means that much to them, my house is open. But I am waking up in my own bed Christmas morning.

The fact that I am not important enough to my mother, brother and sister to rate one visit in four years really hurts my feelings. I have started distancing myself from them over the year because I have noticed that I am merely an afterthought. I am also the one who twists mysf into knots trying to fit into plans they make without me. I have asked to be included before and it's always the same: we forgot, but surely you can do XYz to make it work.

The funny thing is, I told them I was doing this. I got email this morning asking when I'd be getting to Phoenix next week. And if I was spending Christmas Eve with them or my in-laws.

😖

MindsEye

« Reply #596 on: November 19, 2013, 03:59:27 PM »
That awful "let's buy presents only for the kids" meme that pops up every now and then on my side of the family.  Yeah, no.  Every time it pops up I have to squash it again. 

DH and I are the only childless couple on that side of the family.  And I don't care how selfish it makes me sound... I am not going to buy people presents if I have no expectation of getting anything in return. 

To me, a big part of the fun of Christmas is the present exchange.  (emphasis on exchange)  I am not a present-producing-machine, and if you tell me that I am good enough to get presents for all of your kiddies, but not good enough for you to get me something... then I will refuse to participate and not get anyone anything.

And I keep having to go over this over and over again and listen as relatives gasp in shock at what a grinch I am and how selfish to "demand gifts" and how "Christmas is really just for the kids"... ugh.

Just ugh.

My feelings are my feelings and sometimes I feel like the holidays are the worst time of the year to have no kids, and there is no time of year when the childless/childfree are less appreciated...

Can I get a bah, humbug? 

(Man... maybe I should have posted this in the "I need a hug" thread...)

nuit93

« Reply #597 on: November 19, 2013, 04:17:53 PM »
-spending turkey day with the OBF's family in the next state over, and I will NOT be made to feel guilty by my blood family for not being there this year when I've been there every other Tday for the past three decades.  Yes, how dare I date men whose families live out of state... ::)

magicdomino

« Reply #598 on: November 19, 2013, 04:28:20 PM »
That awful "let's buy presents only for the kids" meme that pops up every now and then on my side of the family.  Yeah, no.  Every time it pops up I have to squash it again. 

DH and I are the only childless couple on that side of the family.  And I don't care how selfish it makes me sound... I am not going to buy people presents if I have no expectation of getting anything in return. 

Most of my family does the "kids only" thing.  I prefer it because adult gifts aren't much fun to buy, and, to be honest, the gifts I received weren't very useful.   In fact, they usually were at the Salvation Army within a year. It isn't that we didn't try, it's just difficult to get a good gift for someone that you talk to two or three times a year. 

Having said that, I've noticed that there is often a little something from the family members up here, and my brother and sister-in-law in Louisiana send an extra gift or two.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #599 on: November 19, 2013, 04:31:40 PM »
I agree with all of these.

My sister has declared no gifts at Christmas, but everyone else still exchanges gifts. I don't spend what I used to on gifts, as everyone has everything they need.

Women (mom & sisters) - Travel manicure kits and a bottle of salon quality polish
Men (dad & brother in law) - Travel manicure kit and a flashlight
Everyone is getting a picture of DS in a frame for their house (their request) and a spice mix we can get locally that is unavailable in their region.

Although I have 12 days off over Christmas and New Years Day, I am not driving to visit family unless they come halfway. DS and I have 8 days together and we are taking a few road trips, some planned and some spontaneous while we are off.

I will cook what I want when I want.

I will wear my pajamas all day at least once.