Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 242872 times)

GlitterIsMyDrug

Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #765 on: November 25, 2013, 11:24:59 AM »
Glitter is not allowed in this household.  :) That's my *husband's* holiday hill to die on.  Hee hee.  But yes, little kid ornaments all over.  We did this Advent activity last year that has you create an ornament each day for 24 days.  I have 3 kids.  That's 72 new ornaments.  On the plus side, it's a big tree.  And we were actually a little short of ornaments before we had kids.  Of course, in a year or so, Megan will start making ornaments, too.  And then we'll have 96 ornaments each year!  On top of all the professional ones, that is.

Well fine! I see how it is, I'll just take my craft supplies and my double chocolate chip cookies and go home.  ;)

I seriously saw Glitter, and was like "yeah? what's going on?", and I think Partner would love it if she could keep glitter out of this house. But that's a battle she's yet to wage. I do most my glitter project outside though...helps...kind of.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #766 on: November 25, 2013, 11:26:55 AM »
Well, I now seem to have a new hill.  I no longer will invite my family for the holidays.  They obviously strung me along looking for a better offer and they are getting together instead of coming here.  I got a token invite to join them, after one member knew I bought the LARGE turkey today and it is in the fridge to thaw.  I now know where I stand..and where they will stand is outside because my welcome mat is permanently pulled inside and they will not be invited ever again.  >:( >:( >:( :'(  And of course, they can't figure out why I am upset and p***ed off.

Big hugs to you *inviteseller.  I'm so sorry that your family treated you this badly.
I also have similar reasons why I'll never visit my family again, but they're not holiday related, but I just wanted to let you know that I understand the feeling of being totally let down by your so-called family.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #767 on: November 25, 2013, 11:33:28 AM »
Well, DS is already showing signs of a nice shiny spine!  He's been voluntold to host his dad, stepmom, and step-sibs and their families for Thanksgiving.  That's already 12 volatile people. One sister called and asked if her friend could come also, and the other sister wanted her teenage daughters to each bring a friend.  He called me in a panic, and I gave him some nice eHell lines and a pep talk. So he sent a group text stating that he could only host immediate family; the one sister said fine, the other started whining:

Sis: But I already invited the girls' friends!
DS:  I'm sorry, you should have asked me first. I can't host them
Sis: But it's only 2 additional people!
DS: I'm sorry, I can't host them
Sis: Fine!  We just won't come!
DS: I'm sorry to hear that, we'll miss you

She finally backed down, and he scored his first moral victory.  I'm very proud of him!

The power of Etiquette Hell is spreading.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #768 on: November 25, 2013, 11:38:24 AM »
I've always suspected that Norman Rockwell was delusional.

It seems like someone who might've studied art to some degree once told me Norman Rockwell came from kind of a screwed up background and this was his idealized view of what families should be. But I'm not sure if that's even kind of factual.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #769 on: November 25, 2013, 11:51:11 AM »
Well, DS is already showing signs of a nice shiny spine!  He's been voluntold to host his dad, stepmom, and step-sibs and their families for Thanksgiving.  That's already 12 volatile people. One sister called and asked if her friend could come also, and the other sister wanted her teenage daughters to each bring a friend.  He called me in a panic, and I gave him some nice eHell lines and a pep talk. So he sent a group text stating that he could only host immediate family; the one sister said fine, the other started whining:

Sis: But I already invited the girls' friends!
DS:  I'm sorry, you should have asked me first. I can't host them
Sis: But it's only 2 additional people!
DS: I'm sorry, I can't host them
Sis: Fine!  We just won't come!
DS: I'm sorry to hear that, we'll miss you

She finally backed down, and he scored his first moral victory.  I'm very proud of him!

Just warn him to have a strategy in case these uninvited people show up anyway.  Sis might be nervy enough to just bring them along.

Agreed.  I've known people to do this, thinking that they won't be turned away because the host won't stand up to them.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #770 on: November 25, 2013, 12:03:08 PM »
I've always suspected that Norman Rockwell was delusional.

It seems like someone who might've studied art to some degree once told me Norman Rockwell came from kind of a screwed up background and this was his idealized view of what families should be. But I'm not sure if that's even kind of factual.

I heard a snippet on NPR a couple of weeks ago about a book someone wrote about Norman Rockwell. He and his wife (but his wife in particular) suffered from mental illness. I think the book was about Rockwell's relationship with Erik Erikson, the psychiatrist who treated him and his wife.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #771 on: November 25, 2013, 12:18:58 PM »
None of that would surprise me.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #772 on: November 25, 2013, 01:11:34 PM »
A New Biography Explores the Darker Side of Norman Rockwell[

I think any further discussion should have its own thread.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Carotte

« Reply #773 on: November 25, 2013, 01:13:48 PM »
Glitter is not allowed in this household.  :) That's my *husband's* holiday hill to die on.  Hee hee.  But yes, little kid ornaments all over.  We did this Advent activity last year that has you create an ornament each day for 24 days.  I have 3 kids.  That's 72 new ornaments.  On the plus side, it's a big tree.  And we were actually a little short of ornaments before we had kids.  Of course, in a year or so, Megan will start making ornaments, too.  And then we'll have 96 ornaments each year!  On top of all the professional ones, that is.

Well fine! I see how it is, I'll just take my craft supplies and my double chocolate chip cookies and go home.  ;)

I seriously saw Glitter, and was like "yeah? what's going on?", and I think Partner would love it if she could keep glitter out of this house. But that's a battle she's yet to wage. I do most my glitter project outside though...helps...kind of.

Hehe, that was my first thought too, I was like "wait, why? she sounds like fun! I must have missed something here...".
I was starting to think that MommyPenguin's husband was not prepared for the lesbians...

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #774 on: November 25, 2013, 01:48:56 PM »

Ha, sorry, I didn't even think about your name!  My husband really *hates* glitter (the stuff, that is).  He's rather fond of the quote that, "glitter is the herpes of the craft world" and firmly believes that you will *never* completely get the glitter out of anything, once it gets in.  The only exceptions are glitter in forms that are completely self-contained, like glitter glue, stuff like that.

We have enough issues with broken bits of crayon and the like.  :)

mumma to KMC

« Reply #775 on: November 25, 2013, 02:03:32 PM »

Ha, sorry, I didn't even think about your name!  My husband really *hates* glitter (the stuff, that is).  He's rather fond of the quote that, "glitter is the herpes of the craft world" and firmly believes that you will *never* completely get the glitter out of anything, once it gets in.  The only exceptions are glitter in forms that are completely self-contained, like glitter glue, stuff like that.

As one who has sat in a pew after a glitter bomb exploded from what I can only assume was one heck of a wedding, I agree with your husband. That's not to say I don't like people named glitter ;)

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #776 on: November 25, 2013, 02:15:16 PM »

As one who has sat in a pew after a glitter bomb exploded from what I can only assume was one heck of a wedding, I agree with your husband. That's not to say I don't like people named glitter ;)

I also concur with your husband! Actually someone suggested that we have people throw glitter at our wedding instead of whatever it is they're supposed to throw now (I see so many different ideas, I have no idea), Partner shut that idea right down saying "They'll have to burn the place down just to get the glitter out!".

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #777 on: November 25, 2013, 02:17:23 PM »
^ I heard about one church that only allows stuff to be thrown outside.  But you aren't allowed to throw confetti or rice or birdseed or anything like that.  Too much mess.  What do they allow you to throw, then?

Grass seed.

Brilliant.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Figgie

« Reply #778 on: November 25, 2013, 03:38:21 PM »
It was a huge relief after Dad died to be done, completely done with extended family holidays.  We really enjoyed Thanksgiving and Christmas just being the four of us and will repeat that this year.  :)

The only reason we did the holidays with my sister and her family was to make Dad happy.  Now that he is gone, I can finally never have to deal with my sister ever again.  All of the kids and their cousins are adults and have figured out how to have relationships with each other without my sister and I needing to facilitate.

I thought I would feel sad last year, but instead it felt like a huge, huge weight was lifted from my shoulders, as it was an incredible amount of work to deal with my sister.

Minmom3

« Reply #779 on: November 25, 2013, 03:48:29 PM »
^^^^  That's adorable!!!

I just remembered that DH, DS1 (24), and DS2 (20) have a hill to die on:  our little Christmas tree.  When the boys were little and our house was, too, we had a small tabletop tree.  It's a brave, plastic, artificial little thing, only about a couple of feet high.  Guess who got emotionally attached?  When we moved to our current house ten years ago and had enough room for a full-size tree, I wanted to go all out with a live one and was met with an incredulous explosion of grief-stricken devotion.  The small tree stayed.  :-)

So, is the old dinky tree the only tree you guys have, or have you moved to the 'multiple trees' scheme of things?
Mother to children and fuzz butts....