Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 236853 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #840 on: November 29, 2013, 02:17:33 PM »
...    'Just so you know, next time you should probably have a turkey.  Everyone was pretty disappointed'.  ...

Great!!  Even before I finished reading this I was crossing my fingers and hoping he would say something like "Oh, you don't need to worry, Dad.  There won't be a 'next time'!"

Yay for your Son.  In so many ways!!   :)

Tea Drinker

« Reply #841 on: November 29, 2013, 03:24:14 PM »
What's "standard" varies a lot from one family to another. I read an article a few years back about how first- and second-generation immigrants were celebrating Thanksgiving, and there were a lot of families who had a roast turkey (because that's what so many articles say is served at Thanksgiving, and it's relatively straightforward to cook) and then lots of traditional feast and/or comfort foods from different cultures: so one table has turkey and curried vegetables and rice and such, and another family has dumplings and noodles and bok choy instead of green beans.

What's off about how the guests treated Hillia's son isn't that they missed the turkey. It's that they weren't thanking him and then saying that they had missed having a turkey along with all the other good stuff, or offering to bring a turkey next year--it went straight into entitled complaints.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #842 on: November 29, 2013, 03:29:18 PM »
Completely agree that these people were incredibly rude, but is it normal not to have turkey for TG? I can understand the assumption that "turkey went without saying". That doesn't excuse their rudeness of course, but I do understand their surprise.

It's not a law. And a lot of people really don't "like" turkey that much, if they tell the truth. It's just ... always done.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Mergatroyd

« Reply #843 on: November 29, 2013, 03:39:02 PM »
Completely agree that these people were incredibly rude, but is it normal not to have turkey for TG? I can understand the assumption that "turkey went without saying". That doesn't excuse their rudeness of course, but I do understand their surprise.

It's not a law. And a lot of people really don't "like" turkey that much, if they tell the truth. It's just ... always done.

If someone wants to invite me over to a nice clean space and feed me delicious food, I'll eat anything they want to cook for Thanksgiving. (and I'd be really thankful that I didn't have to cook, clean for days, or host.) complaining is so rude. I hope they're ashamed next year when they aren't invited.
And I love turkey.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #844 on: November 29, 2013, 03:58:57 PM »
...    'Just so you know, next time you should probably have a turkey.  Everyone was pretty disappointed'.  ...

Great!!  Even before I finished reading this I was crossing my fingers and hoping he would say something like "Oh, you don't need to worry, Dad.  There won't be a 'next time'!"

Yay for your Son.  In so many ways!!   :)

"I had several turkeys at dinner, and they ate all the ham!"
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #845 on: November 29, 2013, 04:28:02 PM »

I know it's not the law - that wasn't what I asked though. I had just gotten the impression that it was the norm to the point that people wouldn't be out of line to expect it.

It's the same in Denmark with Christmas and roast pork. Of course I wouldn't complain if I turned up and was served something else instead, but I would -internally only- be slightly disappointed, no matter how delicious the alternative was. It's the conpany that matters, so I wouldn't be very disappointed... but a little bit.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

yachtchick

• Caribbean Cat Charters
« Reply #846 on: November 29, 2013, 04:53:59 PM »
I attended a wonderful dinner with friends last night.  Turkey, ham, dressing ... the works.  The woman who was to bring the dreaded green bean casserole canceled at the last minute and I was asked to do it. Ugh ... but I did and there was not a bite left.  Must of been good but I didn't taste it myself.
You can not control the wind - you can only adjust your sails.

Julsie

« Reply #847 on: November 29, 2013, 05:48:53 PM »
I don't eat turkey or sweet potatoes or green bean casserole or cranberry sauce...

~gasps in faux horror~  So... it was just another Thursday night dinner?   ;)

Hillia, I've been following your son's predicament and wondering how it all went.  I'm really touched that this dinner represented all of the wonderful changes he has made in his life.  You must be extremely proud and relieved.  What a fine young man.  (Although he should have had a turkey!)

greencat

« Reply #848 on: November 29, 2013, 05:54:17 PM »
I am actually rather fond of the Dreaded Green Bean Casserole.  I don't make it myself only because I have this problem where the can of fried onions mysteriously empties itself.

My hill to die on this year:  Not going home to only get to spend a few short hours with my family due to my mother and brother's work schedule.  As I was told the day's schedule, I would have spent as much time in the car as I was actually able to see my whole family!

I spent it with some friends instead, and it was lovely.  We did not have my least favorite dish, stuffing.  No one wanted to make it, and we didn't miss it!  It was a very nice change having a meal that featured separate meat and vegetables and starches, compared to my single person diet of lots of stir-fries and pasta/sauce type meals. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #849 on: November 29, 2013, 05:55:13 PM »
I'll call my Thanksgiving hill my hill to rest on. All my brothers and I want to "do" for Thanksgiving is have downtime. I will not give in to the social/cultural pressure to do the "traditional" holiday because that's what "normal" families do. It's too much work. We will just enjoy our time off and each other's company. Sleep in, stay warm and cozy and watch t.v...

Happy Thanksgiving.  ;)

There's a lot to be said for that kind of Thanksgiving!  In fact, it's pretty much what we're doing this year for the very first time ever.  I think I'm going to like it.   :)
I did that two years ago when I didn't go home to my mom's. I had plenty of invites, but gosh darn it, all i wanted to do was stay home, in my jammies and watch football. and I did! it was lovely

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #850 on: November 29, 2013, 06:00:07 PM »

I wouldn't say "normal" to have turkey, but more traditional. I personally don't care for it, so the last two years I've done roast chicken. and my two friends who come could care less. I know other folks who do ham, for the same reason.  I think the guests were horribly rude, esp since they had been told the menu. Too bad they made the interesting assumption that it would be BOth turkey and ham.

The last time i spent thanksgiving with my mom, we went out. and invited my BFF from college who lives near her. She however, prefers the traditional home-cooked turkey dinner, with all the fixings, and wasn't thrilled about going out, so she graciously declined. and did not show up, whining a bout how HER Thanksgiving was ruined since we went out.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #851 on: November 29, 2013, 06:32:17 PM »
I had the turkey and ham thing in a pub setting one Thanksgiving and didn't like it.  The gravy and the turkey were bland, as was the stuffing.  The one good thing at that meal was the mashed turnips.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #852 on: November 29, 2013, 06:51:29 PM »

Didn't DS discuss the menu ahead of time to coordinate sides.  If there was an issue of not having turkey, that's the time to bring it up.  Not after you've stuffed your face with free food and availed yourself of someone's hospitality

weeblewobble

« Reply #853 on: November 29, 2013, 07:32:29 PM »
Keep in mind, that Hillia's DS was TOLD he would be hosting Thanksgiving.  Considering the position he was put in, he should be able to serve whatever he pleases.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #854 on: November 30, 2013, 02:42:17 AM »
DS told him not to worry, he was never hosting them again so they could have their dinner exactly the way they wanted it.

ETA: Their overwhelming disappointment didn't stop anyone from stuffing their faces and taking home leftovers.

Good for your son!

I would not have let them take home leftovers though - once they insult the food they wouldn't be exposed to it any more.