Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 244919 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #900 on: December 03, 2013, 10:07:51 PM »
Ever make Chicken Kiev for 25 people?   ;D

I'm picturing a single giant chicken kiev.

Now that would be a chicken I'd be very, very afraid of if I confronted it walking out of the chicken house to greet me!!   :o
And when you poke a fork in it, enough butter squirts out that the entire room and contents of same are covered with it...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #901 on: December 03, 2013, 10:16:48 PM »
Ever make Chicken Kiev for 25 people?   ;D

I'm picturing a single giant chicken kiev.

Now that would be a chicken I'd be very, very afraid of if I confronted it walking out of the chicken house to greet me!!   :o
And when you poke a fork in it, enough butter squirts out that the entire room and contents of same are covered with it...

Should be on the invitation:  Bring popcorn!  ;)

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #902 on: December 04, 2013, 06:13:42 AM »
Thanks, everyone!  I'm very proud of him, and I offer him up as a beacon of hope for folks who are having tough times with their teenagers.  Five years ago he had been expelled from the honors high school, spent a night in juvie for shoplifting, and had made a serious attempt on his life.  He's really turned himself around and is doing so well now, and has matured in every way more than I had ever hoped possible.

I did have to chuckle, though, when he called me Wednesday night ranting about his roommate who Won't Even Take Out the Trash!  And Leaves His Stuff All Over!  Doesn't he realize how hard DS has been working to clean the apartment?  Ah, sweet karma...
cute! i'm very proud of your son too (and if i wasn't an over-the-hill twice divorced women, i would be getting in line!)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #903 on: December 04, 2013, 08:50:51 AM »
Thanks, everyone!  I'm very proud of him, and I offer him up as a beacon of hope for folks who are having tough times with their teenagers.  Five years ago he had been expelled from the honors high school, spent a night in juvie for shoplifting, and had made a serious attempt on his life.  He's really turned himself around and is doing so well now, and has matured in every way more than I had ever hoped possible.

I did have to chuckle, though, when he called me Wednesday night ranting about his roommate who Won't Even Take Out the Trash!  And Leaves His Stuff All Over!  Doesn't he realize how hard DS has been working to clean the apartment?  Ah, sweet karma...

My DD has an apartment with 2 friends and she complains that they are slobs..SLOBS!!  I just laugh because she always leaves a trail of detritus through my house.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #904 on: December 04, 2013, 09:15:32 AM »
My first post!  I feel like I should mark it in red ink on the calendar or something!

Not my hill, but my mother's.  Background: every year for the past five years, my mom and I have hosted her extended family for Christmas (I currently live at home).  Mom has nine living siblings, seven of whom live in the same town as us.  For as long as I can remember, the family has gotten together for a weekend to celebrate Christmas, usually a couple weeks before the actual holiday, or sometimes a couple weeks after, depending on schedules.  Hosting duties traditionally shifted from family to family each year, and the next year's host would be decided during the current year's festivities (ex. the host of 2010's celebration would be decided before everyone went home after 2009's celebration).  End background.

So, as I said, my mom has hosted for the last five years.  She's happy to do it; she loves having her family around, even those relatives who drive her nuts a lot of the time.  And she wants to keep the family celebration tradition going.  However, one thing that has bugged her is that each year, it seems like everyone just assumes that she will host the family, and no one else steps forward to offer to host.  Of course, there are valid reasons for some family members not hosting; several have houses that are too small, or too far away.  But others have plenty of room and either a) don't want to be bothered with it, or b) have ridiculous issues with other family members and refuse to grow up and get over it, so they don't host.  It's already December, and no one has made any mention of hosting. 

Well, this year, Mom decided that she wasn't going to worry about it.  There have already been relatives who have asked her 'when's the family Christmas going to be?' and Mom's answer has been, simply, 'I don't know.'  She's not going to offer to host, or even mention it at all.  She hates to see the tradition die, but she has decided that she's done.  Maybe a year of not having the big family Christmas at all will encourage other members of the family to step up.  We'll see what happens!

Welcome!
The first year DH and I didn't have plans to spend Christmas with family felt really odd. Then an amazing thing happened - we stayed in our jammies all day, we ate a huge yummy breakfast without fear of ruining our appetites for dinner, we watched whatever we wanted, we opened presents leisurely without having to hurry so we could get ready to go (or host). It was fantastic! I hope it's the same for the two of you.  :)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #905 on: December 04, 2013, 10:40:08 AM »
My first post!  I feel like I should mark it in red ink on the calendar or something!

Not my hill, but my mother's.  Background: every year for the past five years, my mom and I have hosted her extended family for Christmas (I currently live at home).  Mom has nine living siblings, seven of whom live in the same town as us.  For as long as I can remember, the family has gotten together for a weekend to celebrate Christmas, usually a couple weeks before the actual holiday, or sometimes a couple weeks after, depending on schedules.  Hosting duties traditionally shifted from family to family each year, and the next year's host would be decided during the current year's festivities (ex. the host of 2010's celebration would be decided before everyone went home after 2009's celebration).  End background.

So, as I said, my mom has hosted for the last five years.  She's happy to do it; she loves having her family around, even those relatives who drive her nuts a lot of the time.  And she wants to keep the family celebration tradition going.  However, one thing that has bugged her is that each year, it seems like everyone just assumes that she will host the family, and no one else steps forward to offer to host.  Of course, there are valid reasons for some family members not hosting; several have houses that are too small, or too far away.  But others have plenty of room and either a) don't want to be bothered with it, or b) have ridiculous issues with other family members and refuse to grow up and get over it, so they don't host.  It's already December, and no one has made any mention of hosting. 

Well, this year, Mom decided that she wasn't going to worry about it.  There have already been relatives who have asked her 'when's the family Christmas going to be?' and Mom's answer has been, simply, 'I don't know.'  She's not going to offer to host, or even mention it at all.  She hates to see the tradition die, but she has decided that she's done.  Maybe a year of not having the big family Christmas at all will encourage other members of the family to step up.  We'll see what happens!

Welcome!
The first year DH and I didn't have plans to spend Christmas with family felt really odd. Then an amazing thing happened - we stayed in our jammies all day, we ate a huge yummy breakfast without fear of ruining our appetites for dinner, we watched whatever we wanted, we opened presents leisurely without having to hurry so we could get ready to go (or host). It was fantastic! I hope it's the same for the two of you.  :)

Good for your mom! I'm glad she decided to let the chips fall where they may. Perhaps they might stop taking it for granted that she's going to host.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #906 on: December 04, 2013, 02:11:20 PM »
I am so excited you guys!  DH's family has always been very big on having holiday celebrations on the actual day itself.  Nobody gets together the Saturday of Thanksgiving, or the Saturday before Christmas...it's always on Thanksgiving or Christmas Day.  Since all sides of DH's family are like this, it made trying to schedule those days really hard and stressful.  There was no attempt to acknowledge other parts of the family or in-laws, so frequently everything was scheduled all at the same time (imagine, if you will, getting three emails about three different gatherings that are all set to start between 1 and 2 pm, and to end between 5 and 6 pm!). 

We just got the first email about this year's Christmas gatherings, and it's on a different day!  Huzzah!  One side of the family is setting everything up for Sunday the 22nd, and that means we will be able to attend without feeling like we're shorting everyone else.  I'm so excited; this has made my day!  Now if only I can avoid the politically charged conversations that day...

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #907 on: December 04, 2013, 02:57:54 PM »
*snip*

Welcome picturegirl80!

I actually think your mom should say "I'm not hosting this year."  Saying I don't know sounds like she just haven't decided on a date yet.  Who knows?  Maybe someone will step up if she gives them a chance, but not saying anything will make it too late for anyone to plan anything.  But you know your family and their reactions best.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #908 on: December 04, 2013, 03:23:23 PM »
*snip*

Welcome picturegirl80!

I actually think your mom should say "I'm not hosting this year."  Saying I don't know sounds like she just haven't decided on a date yet.  Who knows?  Maybe someone will step up if she gives them a chance, but not saying anything will make it too late for anyone to plan anything.  But you know your family and their reactions best.

That's a good thought. I also thought she could expand the "I don't know" to add the question "who's hosting?", which also gets the "not me" point across, but that leaves it open to the "but I thought you were!" response.

But I agree that it should be communicated sooner rather than later, to avoid last minute chaos.

What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

cwm

« Reply #909 on: December 04, 2013, 04:50:27 PM »
That's a good thought. I also thought she could expand the "I don't know" to add the question "who's hosting?", which also gets the "not me" point across, but that leaves it open to the "but I thought you were!" response.

But I agree that it should be communicated sooner rather than later, to avoid last minute chaos.

I agree with this. You don't want to leave it at "I don't know" because then next year people will be pestering her about it when it gets nearer to the holiday season.

If people come back at her with the "I thought you were hosting it!", she can always politely respond, "Sorry, that won't be possible." No further response needed.

picturegirl80

« Reply #910 on: December 04, 2013, 07:49:51 PM »

I agree with this. You don't want to leave it at "I don't know" because then next year people will be pestering her about it when it gets nearer to the holiday season.

If people come back at her with the "I thought you were hosting it!", she can always politely respond, "Sorry, that won't be possible." No further response needed.

You're right!  Neither of us thought of that. I'll have to suggest it.

My mom does love her family, please don't misunderstand.  I think
she just wants one year of being the one who's hosted, rather than
doing the hosting. And if an out of town relative hosts, that means
at least one night away from home--a mini vacation! 
Whatever you do, give 100%.  Unless you're donating blood.

MOM21SON

« Reply #911 on: December 04, 2013, 08:11:46 PM »
I don't eat turkey or sweet potatoes or green bean casserole or cranberry sauce...

~gasps in faux horror~  So... it was just another Thursday night dinner?   ;)

Well, another Thursday night dinner with eight pies for fourteen people. So no complaints at all, really. :)

That's cool.  Pies are nutritious, don't you know.  Fruit pies have fruit and we all know fruit is good for you.  Pumpkin (et al) pies have veggies and veggies are good for you too.  Cream pies have milk.  Got milk?  It's good for you. 

Must mention that when I was about five, my fifteen year old brother told me that mincemeat pie was made of dead flies and I believed him and won't eat it to this day.   ;D

According to my brother it was made of mice.  Nope, never tried it.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #912 on: December 04, 2013, 08:25:19 PM »
...   I also thought she could expand the "I don't know" to add the question "who's hosting?", which also gets the "not me" point across, but that leaves it open to the "but I thought you were!" response.   ...

Would that be an appropriate time for "That's an interesting assumption"?    ;D

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #913 on: December 04, 2013, 10:50:59 PM »
Must mention that when I was about five, my fifteen year old brother told me that mincemeat pie was made of dead flies and I believed him and won't eat it to this day.   ;D

According to my brother it was made of mice.  Nope, never tried it.
It couldn't POSSIBLY be that the older brothers really REALLY liked mincemeat pies and told these fibs to their little sisters so that there would be more pie for them, now could it?  >:D

I don't think that DD1 ever did that to DD2, but she DID tell her that if she didn't wake up the foot that had gone to sleep, the numbness and tingling would spread up her body to her brain and she would die...  ::)   Evil child.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

magicdomino

« Reply #914 on: December 05, 2013, 12:49:26 PM »

My nephew and I are waiting to see if anyone else volunteers to host Christmas.  He did it last year, I did it in 2011.  At one point we were alternating between us, and we really don't want to return to that.  The other nephew (his cousin) hasn't done it in a few years, so we'll see if he and his wife get the hint.