Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 234742 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #1170 on: January 01, 2014, 01:33:36 PM »
This wasn't craft supplies, it was decor. Kitchen towels, etc.

Hillia

« Reply #1171 on: January 01, 2014, 03:12:41 PM »
On Dec 26 my local grocery store had two crews working: one taking down the Christmas stuff and one putting out Valentine's day.  Since they stock all the seasonal stuff on one aisle, they had both crews on the same aisle, one following the other.

I swear Russell Stover is out to get me.  I love, love, love Russell Stover chocolate covered marshmallow things...the year is measured by what shape they come in. Just finished Santas, now there are hearts and Easter eggs out at the same time.  Once the eggs are gone, there will be a long dry spell until September, when the pumpkins will appear.  I'd suggest that they do a star shaped Memorial Day/July 4 tie in, but then I'd live on chocolate covered marshmallow all year instead of only 6 months.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1172 on: January 01, 2014, 03:20:28 PM »

We went to Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft store and they had Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day and Easter stuff already out.

Jo-Ann staff were setting out their Valentine's Day decor on Christmas Eve. It sort of made sense - the store was pretty darn quiet that day, but wow, talk about hurrying things along.
From a crafter's point of view, it makes perfect sense.  If you are going to make something for a particular holiday, you need 5-6 weeks of lead time, minimum. You can't whip up a themed quilt, for instance, in a couple of days.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #1173 on: January 01, 2014, 04:14:18 PM »
Next year it will be 'don't go out on New Year's Day'. 

I had a quiet night at home, only 1 drink, as I had a ride scheduled the next day.

All was well until I rode, walking pace, over a speed bump with a big metal bar set along the top of it.  It hit the sump plug on the bike, and ripped it out, starting oil gushing everywhere.  I managed to get the bike into a safe spot, and there it sits...  in a lake of oil, oil all over the rear tyre, 100km from home.

This is also in an area with absolutely zero mobile phone coverage - I had to borrow the phone at the gift shop to try to get hold of someone, anyone, who could help on a holiday.  Auto club can't, it's impact not breakdown, insurance is closed.  So the bike is still there, it's early on the 2nd, and I'm still trying to get onto the insurance company.  Oh, and I'm leaving for an overnight trip in a couple of hours.

The only saving grace to the incident was that the lady I was riding with, who also hit the bar, sustained no damage.  Just as well, she's over 3000km from home!

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #1174 on: January 01, 2014, 06:29:13 PM »

We went to Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft store and they had Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day and Easter stuff already out.

Jo-Ann staff were setting out their Valentine's Day decor on Christmas Eve. It sort of made sense - the store was pretty darn quiet that day, but wow, talk about hurrying things along.
From a crafter's point of view, it makes perfect sense.  If you are going to make something for a particular holiday, you need 5-6 weeks of lead time, minimum. You can't whip up a themed quilt, for instance, in a couple of days.

See, that does make sense to me. But candles, candle stands and pink and white heart dishtowels don't really fall into that category.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

greencat

« Reply #1175 on: January 01, 2014, 06:33:39 PM »

See, that does make sense to me. But candles, candle stands and pink and white heart dishtowels don't really fall into that category.

Pretty sure the corporate offices for those craft stores just send out "Valentine's stuff" out together all at once to fill the seasonal display areas. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1176 on: January 01, 2014, 06:39:29 PM »

Exactly!

weeblewobble

« Reply #1177 on: January 01, 2014, 08:46:27 PM »
Yes, direct quote. 

My cousin is famous for things like this.  I never hear from him unless he wants something and he's always insulting.  Real winner.

And yet, he remains unstabbed with a shrimp fork?

(Shrimp forks are the only polite way to stab someone.)

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #1178 on: January 01, 2014, 08:47:52 PM »
At least by me!  He's not worth the assault charges.

He got a neighbor to watch his kids in the end. 

buvezdevin

« Reply #1179 on: January 01, 2014, 10:02:21 PM »
Yes, direct quote. 

My cousin is famous for things like this.  I never hear from him unless he wants something and he's always insulting.  Real winner.

I could not forgo an opportunity to further the mantra of Alton Brown regarding avoiding single-tasking kitchen utensils.

As such, while seconding the use of shrimp forks as genteel stabbing tools, I feel compelled to recommend fish knives, as well.  It remains obvious, I am sure, that butter knives remain appropriate only in in purely comedic *or* tragic stabbing usage, and are not suited to corrective stabbing.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1180 on: January 01, 2014, 10:30:23 PM »
Yes, direct quote. 

I could not forgo an opportunity to further the mantra of Alton Brown regarding avoiding single-tasking kitchen utensils.

As such, while seconding the use of shrimp forks as genteel stabbing tools, I feel compelled to recommend fish knives, as well.  It remains obvious, I am sure, that butter knives remain appropriate only in in purely comedic *or* tragic stabbing usage, and are not suited to corrective stabbing.

I thought one only used butter knives when drunk. 

chibichan

« Reply #1181 on: January 01, 2014, 10:56:28 PM »
I believe the correct method is to select the stabbing instrument farthest away from the place setting , then work your way in .
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #1182 on: January 01, 2014, 11:04:14 PM »
Martha Stewart meets The Walking Dead.   >:D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1183 on: January 01, 2014, 11:08:07 PM »
I appreciate the humor of the last few posts.

What kind of discipline can a butter spoon be used for?

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #1184 on: January 01, 2014, 11:09:18 PM »
Rapping the knuckles of a gimme pig?