Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 251394 times)

greencat

Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #1185 on: January 01, 2014, 11:17:50 PM »
I appreciate the humor of the last few posts.

What kind of discipline can a butter spoon be used for?

Ahem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhfuuKiTcYQ

buvezdevin

« Reply #1186 on: January 01, 2014, 11:42:51 PM »
Beware the demitasse spoon ninjas.

As the surviving members of Monty Python are reported to be planning a reunion for a movie in the near future, the construct seems possible. 
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1187 on: January 01, 2014, 11:44:30 PM »
I appreciate the humor of the last few posts.

What kind of discipline can a butter spoon be used for?

self inflicted eye gouging as a substitute for brain bleach

kudeebee

« Reply #1188 on: January 02, 2014, 12:49:55 AM »
I call it "First Sign Of Spring Day" - that's when stores start selling stuff for St. Patrick's Day and Easter! :)

i wish--St. Pats and Easter is already out in some stores here, along with Valentines!

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #1189 on: January 02, 2014, 04:08:30 AM »
Hi everyone, this is my first post, but this subject just called me to share.

My holiday hill to die on:

(BG) I live a state away from most of my family and I am always traveling down to them for holidays and such. I am 2 years out of college (making me 24) and every time I travel home it is more stressful and I start to dread holidays.

1). This year I will not put up with comments about my weight. It was always "You have thunder thighs." "Should you really eat that?" "You look like you have gained some weight". Well, I have recently lost 40 lbs and when I went back for Thanksgiving my great-grandma said in a loud "whisper" "Mandible is getting too skinny (ha, I am 174 pounds and 5'9", I think not) she should really put on some weight. No more weight comments! EVER! If someone says anything, I will beandip, but if they continue I will just get up and walk out.

2). My mom commandeering all of my time and making me feel guilty when I want to stop and see some friends, or spend time with my aging grandparents, who she hates.

There is a lot of history with this, but basically it boils down to not being talked over, made to feel less than or just generally feel unappreciated by people who never take time out to visit me.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Welcome! Glad you are standing up for yourself.  :) Regarding #1, I just read an article about dealing with judgmental people that you may find helpful. The author reminds us that we are the "boss of our own underpants," and that we cannot all be the "jerk whisperer". ;D She has a lot of good articles about dealing with critical/nosy people during the holidays so you may want to poke around her site and follow some links, but this is her latest post and the timing was just perfect.

Good luck!
Thank you for a link to that blog, it's hilarious. I particularly like her hate mail replies page.  :)
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1190 on: January 05, 2014, 08:04:49 PM »
Valentine's Day is coming up soon...any "hills to die on" for that?

Partner and I are in love. Crazy, madly, stupidly, annoyingly in love. Heck we've decided to go ahead and spend the rest of our lives together. That kind of love. That being said we don't do Valentine's Day. Neither of us are really into it, so we just don't bother with it. I'd rather Partner give me flowers on some random day because she's thinking about me then do it because it's Valentine's Day and she supposed too.

People refuse to believe we just don't do Valentine's Day. We do hit the candy sales the day after, because it's candy and it's on sale. But that's about it. I hear "Oh aren't you sad she didn't do anything? " and she gets "Oh, Glitter didn't send roses to work?" and we just stand there blinking because one day doesn't define our relationship!

Oh yeah, I got a hill.

Somewhere on the Internet last year, I saw a post about "Happy Half-price Chocolate Eve" on Valentines.  That about sums up my feelings  ;D

My friends and I refer to it as the Feast of St. Markdown's. :)  Also celebrated the day after Halloween and Easter.
Auntie Mame

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=88867.msg2151165#msg2151165
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #1191 on: January 05, 2014, 11:03:42 PM »
Martha Stewart meets The Walking Dead.   >:D
If Miss Manners had a zombie etiquette guide, I'm sure we'd have a zombie pick.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #1192 on: January 06, 2014, 12:30:42 PM »
Martha Stewart meets The Walking Dead.   >:D
If Miss Manners had a zombie etiquette guide, I'm sure we'd have a zombie pick.

http://www.zombieetiquette.com/

Though it's technically teaching zombies proper etiquette.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #1193 on: February 06, 2014, 10:24:39 AM »
So Valentine's day is a week and a day away. I've lost count of "Don't you two have any plans for valentine's day?", why yes, she is planning on going to work, I'm planning on possibly seeing a movie with my mom. Plans.

I've even got one friend who keeps sending me "Cheap valentine's ideas" she gets from the internet. I try to explain it's just not a holiday we're into, it has nothing to do with time or money, it's just not for us. Thanks. But people can not get. Your in a relationship. It's valentine's day. There are pre-determined socially acceptable things you are to be doing. And we just keep resisting and it seems to really bug them!

Partner says she's going to hound every single non-Jewish friend we have about their Passover plans. And send them Passover ideas. And be confused on how in the world they could not be planning to celebrate Passover!!

lowspark

« Reply #1194 on: February 06, 2014, 10:49:56 AM »
LOL Glitter. That is obnoxious. My husband and I don't do anything for Valentine's Day either. It's not worth going to any restaurants for overpriced set menus just because it happens to be February 14.

We have gone out on for dinner on that day in the past... just cuz we felt like getting out. But then we go grab a burger or some other low key type place, not a "romantic" dinner.

I do sometimes grab some chocolate on sale the day after if I happen to be in a store. I mean, why the heck not!

Carotte

« Reply #1195 on: February 06, 2014, 10:58:32 AM »
My SO is not the kind to celebrate or even aknowledge this kind of 'holiday', he doesn't even like christmas.
I was jokingly teasing him about this a few weeks ago and he told me that no, we would never celebrate valentine day, we could celebrate our 8 month and 45 days aniversary, but not valentine.
The kicker? he said that just like he could have said our 6 month aniversary or whatever. But 8 month and 45 days falls on the 12 or 13th february  ;D.
I decreted we would bake non-valentine brownies.

Vall

« Reply #1196 on: February 06, 2014, 11:02:28 AM »
No one asks us if we're doing anything for Valentines Day but we're old enough that they'd probably look at us oddly if we said that we had plans.  Going out to dinner on that busy night doesn't interest me but most years, DH will get me a box of Godiva chocolates.  I'm happy with that.

gingerzing

« Reply #1197 on: February 06, 2014, 11:28:06 AM »
I have hated Valentine's Day* since grade school.  (My 4th grade "boyfriend" broke up with me by giving me back my mittens that someone else had stolen...Apparantly having my mittens meant we were dating and giving them back meant he broke up with me - or some such nonsense that only 8 year-olds could come up with.)

Oddly, DH and I started dating right just before Valentine's Day.  I called him after our first date.  It so happened to be the Monday before Valentine's Day.  My message on his machine was "Isn't it amazing that there is no Bah Humbug equivilant to Valentine's Day?"  (He still called back and married me :D )

Every once in a while the gals that he works with try to guilt him to get me jewlery or something.  ("What do you mean you didn't get Ginger anything?!?!?! Go down to the gift shop and get her those cute earrings.")  But generally we are doing well to get a card. 

*With one notable exception.  Brachs conversational hearts.  My dad and I use to have whole conversations with the hearts and that is a good memory of the holiday.

Another Sarah

« Reply #1198 on: February 06, 2014, 11:30:41 AM »
I'm single at the moment, but I have a longstanding tradition of watching horror films on Valentines Day which all my BFs have enthusiastically joined in with - if Valentine themed, even better!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #1199 on: February 06, 2014, 11:40:59 AM »
I'm a Valentine's Day reject so my only acknowledgement of it is to purchase half-price heart boxes on the day after.  When I'm working I open them at the office for my colleagues to eat most of the candy and I keep the velvet boxes for jewelry.