Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 246399 times)

Snooks

Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #1200 on: February 06, 2014, 11:48:56 AM »
I wish themed Valentines day chocolates were more of a "thing" where I am.  That gap between half price Christmas chocolate and half price Easter chocolate is just too long.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1201 on: February 06, 2014, 01:37:31 PM »
Not really a hill, but the opposite of those involved with someone not celebrating, just because I'm single doesn't mean I'm upset at Valentine's Day, and not having anyone to celebrate with!  I really could care less about it. I do send my mom a card as we always exchange cards for holidays, but that's it. Nothing more.

I happen to be taking the day off, because I have a dr. appt, and it also happend to fall on President's Day weekend, so it gives me a 4 day weekend. YAY. But I've even gotten comments about that, like, oh, got somethign special planned? Yeah, I'm celebrating by myself. NOT!

learningtofly

« Reply #1202 on: February 06, 2014, 02:13:43 PM »
My hill is a card.  Just a card to show that you remember I exist and that I don't need presents to make me happy.  But a card can make me smile and laugh.  And if DH doesn't find one he likes he still needs to get me one from DD.  We do buy half price chocolate after Valentine's Day.

My plans?  Hang with DH and DD.  Someone told me it was creepy to hang out with DD on Valentine's Day.  Guess they don't know how much my babysitter charges  ;D

White Lotus

« Reply #1203 on: February 06, 2014, 02:19:52 PM »
I am making cakes.  One will go to the Temple and one will go with us to a neighborhood meeting (evening service and study) of OurSect Buddhism.  Then we'll come home and celebrate in a very private way.  Tradition!

cattlekid

« Reply #1204 on: February 06, 2014, 02:25:35 PM »
Ah, Valentine's Day.  Way back in the Stone Age when DH and I were dating, I so desperately wanted Valentine's Day to be a "thing" for us.  It *was* my hill to die on at that time.  I made it a big deal, DH balked and it devolved into a yearly argument and source of tension between us.

I finally acknowledged within myself that the only reason that I wanted it to be a "thing" is that I wanted to be able to flaunt my new jewelry, flowers, whatever around the office like everyone else.  Hell, even the guy I sat next to at work for eight years got flowers from his girlfriend/now wife every year on Valentine's Day.  Was I chopped liver? 

After a couple of years of this nonsense,  I finally came to terms that while DH was a great guy in many ways, he did not jive with conventional holidays.  He's a gift giver, but at random ways and times that keep you on your toes.   Since then, we've been taking the day off and going to the Chicago Auto Show, which while not scream "Valentine's Day" to everyone else, is our little Valentine's tradition that we both enjoy. 

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #1205 on: February 06, 2014, 02:36:18 PM »
Ok, brought up v-day problem to BFF who consulted lesbian aunts. Apparently the fact that we're both girls should mean there are two people in the relationship who want big v-day hoopla. In straight relationships the woman loves v-day, the men go along with it so as not to anger the woman. So if there are two women, there's no one resisting. Well, at least that actually makes some kind of sense based on what TV has taught me.

When our first v-day together came up she asked if I was a valentine's day girl. I told her my feelings where that I'd rather have flowers on the ground hog's day just because, rather then the 14th because the rules say so. Which prompted her to send me flowers on ground hog's day. And on every ground hog's day since. Most romantic thing ever.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1206 on: February 06, 2014, 02:38:59 PM »
When we were dating, DH and I would go out for V day. We have been married for 16 years, and will celebrate our 20th couple anniversary this year, so we don't have that need to prove anything any more.

I get one rose, I make dinner for the three of us, steak and seafood. I always make a bittersweet chocolate cake in a heart shaped pan.

At work, some of us are going to bring things to have a Valentine's tea that morning. I am making dark chocolate cake with raspberry whipped cream.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #1207 on: February 06, 2014, 02:43:53 PM »
Planning on making icebox cake (boyfriend loved it last time i made it) ....but I dunno what to make for the main. He is so picky....

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1208 on: February 06, 2014, 02:49:38 PM »
I am incredibly excited for Valentine's Day this year because I will be front row at the Britney Spears concert in Las Vegas.  The fact that my DH researched and planned the whole trip knowing it would make me happy, and that he has been listening to Britney for the past few weeks so he knows all the songs, is clear evidence of true love in my view!  :) By the way, I am 40 years old and he is 48 so that makes it even sweeter of him!

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #1209 on: February 06, 2014, 02:52:02 PM »
So, just to be clear, I'm not bagging on Valentine's Day itself. If you love the holiday, then love it! Celebrate it and enjoy it!

My BFF and his partner love Valentine's Day, they always plan something special for the day and send out cards to those they love. According to them, it's a day for love, all love, not just romantic squishy face love. It's very sweet. I don't begrudge them their holiday at all.

Huh, 2 dudes, yay v-day. Two chicks, meh, just another day. So much for TV lessons about guys going along with it for their ladies.

EMuir

« Reply #1210 on: February 06, 2014, 03:32:46 PM »
Another lesbian couple here, we don't celebrate it.  Happy half price chocolate day on the 15th is our holiday. ;)

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #1211 on: February 06, 2014, 03:36:46 PM »
Another lesbian couple here, we don't celebrate it.  Happy half price chocolate day on the 15th is our holiday. ;)

That is a holiday I full get behind. Half price any kind of candy is a happy day in my book.

I found chocolate in the shape of Santa for 90% off recently....90%. Was a good day.

pinkflamingo

« Reply #1212 on: February 06, 2014, 03:39:40 PM »

Every once in a while the gals that he works with try to guilt him to get me jewlery or something.  ("What do you mean you didn't get Ginger anything?!?!?! Go down to the gift shop and get her those cute earrings.")  But generally we are doing well to get a card. 

My boyfriend's sister-in-law chastised him for buying me cheese for my birthday instead of jewelry, until I told her that I had asked for cheese. Now she thinks we're both nuts.

I love Valentine's Day because I like to view it as a celebration of all types of love, but I hate all the "traditional" ways of celebrating. The romantic restaurants are all too crowded, I'm picky about chocolate, and I dislike roses. So this year I'm continuing my long-standing tradition of eating pizza on the couch in my pajamas while watching a movie. It's going to be awesome.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1213 on: February 06, 2014, 03:46:47 PM »
DH & I don't usually do much for v-day. Cards and maybe token gifts, but last year he sent me a dozen roses at work as a surprise. I was VERY surprised. And pleased. Nobody'd ever done that for me before. :-D

This year I don't even know if he's off work that evening or not. I asked the other day if he knew yet or not, and he had a bit of a head-smack moment until I reminded him that I have long understood that him having a service industry career will mean a lot of holidays celebrated on other days. Not a big deal.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

mime

« Reply #1214 on: February 06, 2014, 03:50:28 PM »
Here's how DH and I celebrate V-day:

He hears male colleagues complaining about whatever obligatory traditional gift they must bring home to their SO.
He boasts that his DW (that's me  :))has never required that of him.
He comes home and relays those conversations to me, and tells me how great I am.

The then kiddos give us glued-together paper valentines with tissue-paper flowers and a Tootsie roll or some such treat.

Then we all stay home, and avoid this overpriced "amateur night" at the restaraunts.  ;D

Romantic traditions are so. not. our. thing.