Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 234904 times)

kudeebee

Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #1230 on: February 06, 2014, 09:52:47 PM »
The last few years we go to the asian restaurant on our way home from work for their valentine special.  It is actually cheaper than two evening meals and you get a dessert.  Works perfectly for us!
We have also done the heart shaped pizzas.
Refuse to go out and pay for over priced meals and hate getting overpriced flowers.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1231 on: February 06, 2014, 10:00:33 PM »
I have extremely neutral feelings towards Valentine's Day. I don't find anything about it particularly objectionable (and think some things people traditionally do are cute or sweet). But there's also nothing particularly compelling about it for me, either. It's just never made it high on my list of holidays I'm willing to devote any energy to.

So I was actually kind of glad when it worked out that the best time for my husband and I to get married was the end of February. It's a good two weeks after Valentine's Day, so if we want to go out for a nice dinner to celebrate our anniversary, we don't have a thousand times more competition for that goal than usual. But it's also close enough that I can use it as my reason for doing nothing in particular on Valentine's Day. I don't always feel the need to explain myself when people ask what I'm doing and my answer is "meh, nothing really." But it is nice to be able to say, "Oh, my anniversary is in a couple of weeks, so we just celebrate that instead."

One thing I might start doing, though, is sending cards or little bits of candy to my niece and nephew. I like the idea of asking them to be my Valentine, and I always appreciated gestures like that from the adults in my life when I was a kid. I think that would be a super fun way to celebrate the holiday.

Library Dragon

« Reply #1232 on: February 07, 2014, 12:46:49 AM »
For years I gave DH "permission" to be on call on the 14th. Everyone else was grateful. It wasn't a big deal for us as we've had a monthly date night for 30 years. Sometimes we went out the night afterwards when we could relax in the quiet.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

NyaChan

« Reply #1233 on: February 07, 2014, 09:01:46 AM »
For one memorable year, I had a month-long running bet with a friend that was Valentine's Day themed and then I spent the 14th making the baked goods to settle the debt - I lost  >:(

Usually, I try to send my friends something, this year a $5 starbucks card since I can't take them out for coffee in person as we are scattered about the country now.  My mom usually sends me cat & valentine's day themed socks in February and then Halloween socks in October.  I hope she remembers this year too :D  It's really cold and I could use em!

Another Sarah

« Reply #1234 on: February 07, 2014, 09:22:45 AM »
I'm single at the moment, but I have a longstanding tradition of watching horror films on Valentines Day which all my BFs have enthusiastically joined in with - if Valentine themed, even better!

Wow, I've never met anyone else who does that!! That's been my tradition for a good decade -- chocolate, Chinese food, and classic horror movies. :) Last year, two of my friends joined me, and they had so much fun they're joining me again this year.

And Seraphia, I'm glad to hear the Feast of St. Markdown's is catching on!
It's the only way to celebrate! I love the really bad Valentine themed films, but any good horror movie works for me!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1235 on: February 07, 2014, 10:52:21 AM »
I'm single at the moment, but I have a longstanding tradition of watching horror films on Valentines Day which all my BFs have enthusiastically joined in with - if Valentine themed, even better!

Wow, I've never met anyone else who does that!! That's been my tradition for a good decade -- chocolate, Chinese food, and classic horror movies. :) Last year, two of my friends joined me, and they had so much fun they're joining me again this year.

It's the only way to celebrate! I love the really bad Valentine themed films, but any good horror movie works for me!

I have a new set of zombie movies for this year, and I'm thinking of getting the Target chocolate chip cookies I adore as this year's chocolate contribution. :)

buvezdevin

« Reply #1236 on: February 07, 2014, 01:43:47 PM »

I have a new set of zombie movies for this year, and I'm thinking of getting the Target chocolate chip cookies I adore as this year's chocolate contribution. :)

This will be my first V-day as a single in a decade, and it has not really been on my radar one way or the other, so neither sadness nor special plans.  But, posts in this thread have inspired me to "save" watching the most recent episode of Sherlock as a treat for that evening.  So, thank you!

As a fan of The Walking Dead, who also enjoyed the films Warm Bodies, and Sean of the Dead but lacks a broader familiarity with the zombie genre - I would be interested in any related zombie movie recommendations from the afficiandos!
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #1237 on: February 07, 2014, 02:18:26 PM »
It looks like we will be doing something special this year for Valentine's weekend, though not necceassairly romantic. Though, very loving.

My great-uncle (my mom's dad's BIL) is in rapidly declining health. We've known this for awhile now that he is terminaly ill there is nothing that can be done and we've all made peace with it. We've been spending time with him, being thankful we're blessed with a little more time with him. Well, he's just had another stint in the hospital and my great-aunt called up and let us know it'd be a very good idea to make plans to come out and see him (doctor has forbidden him to travel). I was talking to Partner about when we might be able to take a trip out to see him (they live 6 hours away by car, not too bad), she could tell it was upsetting to me so she just took the bull by the horns and got us a place to stay that we can bring the dogs with us to, took the day off work and called up my mom to come a long with. So we'll be traveling to see him next weekend.

My great-uncle and I have a very...instreasting relationship. He's in his late 70s, and he grew up in a very different world then I did. When I was younger he was prone to bigoted comments that always upset me, finally one day I called him on it. He told me "Glitter, understand, what I say, is what I've always said. Now, that doesn't make it right, you're my great-niece and I love you. At your core, I don't care that you're a gay...lesbian? I don't care if you love a man, a woman, or a goat. I care that you are happy. So I am I gonna work very hard to get over my past, because I love you. Can you love me and be patient and know I mean no harm by what I say? And remind me to clean it up?" I'm proud to say that last year, that man surprised me and Partner by showing up for gay pride! He even joined in the parade and marched with PFLAG for a bit! Whenever someone tells me people can't change their bigoted ways I just think "Oh, I have proof that says otherwise, just give em time and love and a little kick in the pants". I find him to be one of the most facasinating people (great-aunt's pretty fantastic too) and I'm sad that it's become obvious we'll be loosing him soon. But I'm elated that I've gotten to know him better, that I've been able to change his view on the world a bit, and that my wonderful loving Partner, the woman I'll make my wife, saw what I needed without me even knowing I needed it and took care of it.

Ok, sorry to get all emotional up in here. Looks like it will be a special v-day for us this year.  :)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1238 on: February 07, 2014, 03:09:00 PM »
Ok, brought up v-day problem to BFF who consulted lesbian aunts. Apparently the fact that we're both girls should mean there are two people in the relationship who want big v-day hoopla. In straight relationships the woman loves v-day, the men go along with it so as not to anger the woman. So if there are two women, there's no one resisting. Well, at least that actually makes some kind of sense based on what TV has taught me.

When our first v-day together came up she asked if I was a valentine's day girl. I told her my feelings where that I'd rather have flowers on the ground hog's day just because, rather then the 14th because the rules say so. Which prompted her to send me flowers on ground hog's day. And on every ground hog's day since. Most romantic thing ever.

You two sound like a lot of fun, and my kind of people!  That's something I would say and do!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1239 on: February 07, 2014, 03:10:37 PM »
Another lesbian couple here, we don't celebrate it.  Happy half price chocolate day on the 15th is our holiday. ;)

That is a holiday I full get behind. Half price any kind of candy is a happy day in my book.

I found chocolate in the shape of Santa for 90% off recently....90%. Was a good day.

I was saddened last year, to find very little left on half price chocolate day. But..thanks to my awesome co-worker, i was able to find a couple leftover boxes of Russel Stover Vday chocolates, so it wasn't a total lost cause.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1240 on: February 07, 2014, 03:17:04 PM »
On of my favorite Valentine's day celebrations was oh, about 10 years or so ago, maybe more. Me and 3 friends, all single, got together and ordered pizza for movie night. We had wine, we had chocolate, and one brought a yellow rose for each of us. What was so funny was the movie we saw. What Lies Beneath, with Michelle Phieffer and um....can't remember who played the husband, but we all thought it was pretty ironic since it dealt with infidelity, and so on. We had a blast!

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1241 on: February 07, 2014, 04:54:24 PM »
^ Harrison Ford played the smarmy hubby.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

magicdomino

« Reply #1242 on: February 07, 2014, 05:32:40 PM »
Despite the fact that I am not in a relationship, not likely to ever be in a relationship, and never got so much as a card whenever I was in a relationship, I like Valentines Day.  The hearts and Cupids appeal to my inner tacky person, there are dark chocolate and marshmallow hearts to eat, and I find it amusing that among my Valentines Day Beanie Babies, there is a love puppy, a love monkey, and a love giraffe. 

Now, once upon a time, I did find Valentines Day a bit depressing.  Then my mother's gentleman friend died two weeks before Valentines Day.  I ordered her flowers.  Just for the heck of it, I bought myself some flowers.  Been happily buying myself flowers ever since.   :)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #1243 on: February 08, 2014, 07:11:08 AM »
Well, since I have a ticket this year I will be able to see how many people in my city spend Valentine's Day at the opera.

Jloreli

« Reply #1244 on: February 08, 2014, 08:09:57 AM »

This will be my first V-day as a single in a decade, and it has not really been on my radar one way or the other, so neither sadness nor special plans.  But, posts in this thread have inspired me to "save" watching the most recent episode of Sherlock as a treat for that evening.  So, thank you!

As a fan of The Walking Dead, who also enjoyed the films Warm Bodies, and Sean of the Dead but lacks a broader familiarity with the zombie genre - I would be interested in any related zombie movie recommendations from the afficiandos!

Ooh I'd like to suggest Zombie Honeymoon as a V Day zombie selection....includes some romance....nice plot line with some elements of "how far would you go for your true love?".....and some spectacular gore! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399934/ http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Honeymoon-Tracy-Coogan/dp/B000CPH9UM