Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 249181 times)

Jloreli

Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #1245 on: February 08, 2014, 08:14:40 AM »
DH and I get each other cards and I cook something nicer than usual for dinner at some point that week when our work schedules allow.

We don't do flowers because of the jacked up prices and the cats destroy them....or eat them and yark them up on the rug which rather ruins the romance.  ;D (Though I would not be unhappy to get them at work which is a cat free zone....)

We go out to dinner fairly often and don't wish to experience the over crowded set menu night. The set menus are never as good as we hope they will be.

DH did bring me an early V Day treat.....local smoked cheddar! Now that's a man who knows the way to my heart!  :-*

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #1246 on: February 08, 2014, 08:41:03 AM »
DH and I may watch a DVD.

I was in Wal-Mart yesterday. There was quite a selection of romance themed movies, in all kinds, from the serious to the silly.

I considered buying either a Charlie Brown and the Peanuts Gang or Pepe la Peuw.

wheeitsme

« Reply #1247 on: February 08, 2014, 01:20:45 PM »
<snip>
I'm sad that it's become obvious we'll be loosing him soon. But I'm elated that I've gotten to know him better, that I've been able to change his view on the world a bit, and that my wonderful loving Partner, the woman I'll make my wife, saw what I needed without me even knowing I needed it and took care of it.

Ok, sorry to get all emotional up in here. Looks like it will be a special v-day for us this year.  :)

I know this is a sidetrack, but I'm one of those people who is bothered with the misspelling of losing/loosing (my problem, I deal with it).

But as I was "dealing" with it this time...I thought "You know what? That is beautifully appropriate". And it made me sad and made me smile all at the same time.

<end of sidetrack>

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1248 on: February 08, 2014, 03:08:53 PM »
I'm single at the moment, but I have a longstanding tradition of watching horror films on Valentines Day which all my BFs have enthusiastically joined in with - if Valentine themed, even better!

Wow, I've never met anyone else who does that!! That's been my tradition for a good decade -- chocolate, Chinese food, and classic horror movies. :) Last year, two of my friends joined me, and they had so much fun they're joining me again this year.

And Seraphia, I'm glad to hear the Feast of St. Markdown's is catching on!
It's the only way to celebrate! I love the really bad Valentine themed films, but any good horror movie works for me!

I have a new set of zombie movies for this year, and I'm thinking of getting the Target chocolate chip cookies I adore as this year's chocolate contribution. :)

This will be my first V-day as a single in a decade, and it has not really been on my radar one way or the other, so neither sadness nor special plans.  But, posts in this thread have inspired me to "save" watching the most recent episode of Sherlock as a treat for that evening.  So, thank you!

As a fan of The Walking Dead, who also enjoyed the films Warm Bodies, and Sean of the Dead but lacks a broader familiarity with the zombie genre - I would be interested in any related zombie movie recommendations from the afficiandos!

Ooh I'd like to suggest Zombie Honeymoon as a V Day zombie selection....includes some romance....nice plot line with some elements of "how far would you go for your true love?".....and some spectacular gore! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399934/ http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Honeymoon-Tracy-Coogan/dp/B000CPH9UM

If you want an old, really really silly zombie movie, try Zombie Lake - it's an old French zombie movie. I think Netflix still has it streaming, if you use them. Another, better one is Dod Sno - "Dead Snow". It's a Norwegian (if memory serves) zombie movie about some kids who go to a remote cabin and stumble upon a treasure some Nazi zombies had hid there long ago.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1249 on: February 08, 2014, 03:33:28 PM »
When I was young, I loved Valentines. I loved the flowers, the chocolates, the dinners out.

Then DH and I got married and suddenly those chocolates and flowers were coming out of "Our Money" and it just didn't seem as important. Horrible I know. And I don't think I realized it till I was reading these stories.

Our first Valentines Day after we married we left work to view a home in a neighborhood we were thinking of moving to and then planned to stop at a restaurant for dinner. I became ill on the side of the road (pregnant and had "all day" sickness for the first 3 months), traffic was terrible getting out to the house, the house was horrible and the restaurant (no reservations policy) had a 90 minute wait. We went home, decided the townhome we owned had miraculously become large enough for us and a baby since that morning, and called for take out Chinese. 

DH still buys really good See's Candy for me, DD, and DS for valentines (not the prepackaged boxes... he goes and customizes to each our our tastes because DD and I can be a little "particular" about chocolates) but we still have take out Chinese at home.

SoCalVal

« Reply #1250 on: February 09, 2014, 06:07:02 AM »
One solo Valentine's Day, I stopped at my local grocery store for some dinner on my way home.  As I got ready to drive away, I noticed the inordinate number of single male shoppers rushing into the store and leaving with flowers and nothing else.  I sat there for a few minutes longer to watch and just cracked up as I saw one guy after another do the same thing.  So, if you want to amuse yourself, people-watching at the grocery store in the afternoon/evening of Valentine's Day can be a crack-up.

Holidays used to be a huge deal to me, especially the ones that had usually been couples holidays to me (New Year's Eve and Valentine's Day).  I don't care so much anymore, but DH is very big into holidays and gift-giving at holidays so, typically, I celebrate in this manner for him.  Fortunately, DH has zero interest in doing something like eat out on Valentine's Day (he agrees that the restaurants are over-priced and crowded so we'd rather stay in).

GratefulMaria

« Reply #1251 on: February 09, 2014, 11:13:01 AM »
Well, since I have a ticket this year I will be able to see how many people in my city spend Valentine's Day at the opera.

Ooh, what are you going to see?

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1252 on: February 09, 2014, 05:37:37 PM »
One solo Valentine's Day, I stopped at my local grocery store for some dinner on my way home.  As I got ready to drive away, I noticed the inordinate number of single male shoppers rushing into the store and leaving with flowers and nothing else.  I sat there for a few minutes longer to watch and just cracked up as I saw one guy after another do the same thing.  So, if you want to amuse yourself, people-watching at the grocery store in the afternoon/evening of Valentine's Day can be a crack-up.

Holidays used to be a huge deal to me, especially the ones that had usually been couples holidays to me (New Year's Eve and Valentine's Day).  I don't care so much anymore, but DH is very big into holidays and gift-giving at holidays so, typically, I celebrate in this manner for him.  Fortunately, DH has zero interest in doing something like eat out on Valentine's Day (he agrees that the restaurants are over-priced and crowded so we'd rather stay in).

Having worked in a floral shop (within a grocery store) during Valentine's I can sooo agree with you!  It's a steady stream of guys buying chocolate and flowers from 5pm on. The later it gets the worse it is and heaven help you if you run out of flowers. Prepare to get yelled at for ruining their night because they couldn't be bothered to get a gift until 8pm the day of.

I do feel sorry for florists though, because they work so hard and get yelled at constantly, usually over prices. Of course I can't speak for everyone, but I know that in the case of our shop (and the hundreds of others within that grocery chain) the florists did not mark the prices up - that came from the growers. The florists had to raise prices to maintain the same profit they make all year and not take a loss on the hundreds of cases of product they brought in that week.

Library Dragon

« Reply #1253 on: February 09, 2014, 09:53:36 PM »
We have a Russel Stover's outlet in our city. The parking lot is always full on Valentine's Day with people getting last minute gifts.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1254 on: February 09, 2014, 10:19:22 PM »
I am becoming ever more picky on chocolate, dark only, preferably with sea salt or nuts, possibly both.

DH surprised me Friday night with his version of our favorite restaurants dinner for two. A mesclun salad, three jumbo spicy shrimp with sauce, steak with potato hash and it was wonderful!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #1255 on: February 10, 2014, 08:05:40 AM »
Well, since I have a ticket this year I will be able to see how many people in my city spend Valentine's Day at the opera.

I will be seeing Prince Igor, which stars the very attractive Ildar Abdrazakov:

We have a Russel Stover's outlet in our city. The parking lot is always full on Valentine's Day with people getting last minute gifts.

That is hilarious.

magicdomino

« Reply #1256 on: February 10, 2014, 10:31:09 AM »
Hallmark stores can be interesting on Valentine's Day, too.

darling

« Reply #1257 on: February 10, 2014, 10:49:41 AM »

I will be seeing Prince Igor, which stars the very attractive Ildar Abdrazakov:

That is hilarious.

Oh my... he is amazing looking!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #1258 on: February 10, 2014, 11:23:28 AM »
Two seasons ago he was in Donizetti's Anna Bolena as "Enrico":

It must be odd to people who aren't into this art form to realize that we had a Russian bass portraying an English king while singing in Italian on an American stage....

Back to our regularly-scheduled discussion...

GratefulMaria

« Reply #1259 on: February 10, 2014, 02:14:28 PM »
Two seasons ago he was in Donizetti's Anna Bolena as "Enrico":

It must be odd to people who aren't into this art form to realize that we had a Russian bass portraying an English king while singing in Italian on an American stage....

Back to our regularly-scheduled discussion...

Hmm?  Talented and a treat to the eye?  Sounds like a festive holiday to me -- enjoy!