Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 236870 times)

GlitterIsMyDrug

Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #1335 on: February 20, 2014, 10:32:40 AM »

So we threw together an incredibly quick wedding. We'll still have our "real" wedding next year, but now the legal stuff is out of the way!

Congratulations! But.. what do you mean by having a real wedding again next year?

This was our legal bit we have to do. See in our state, same sex marriage isn't legal (in fact there's whole state constitutional ban on it), so while we can have a pretty ceremony, we don't get any of the federal benefits. Because the law is, the feds will recognize your gay marriage so long as you do it in a state that recognizes gay marriage. So the plan was always to do to a legal ceremony in one of the states that allows it. Our wedding date is set for next year, which is when we'll have our big ceremony with everyone.

Originally we were going to do the legal wedding closer to our "real" wedding (real isn't exactly the right word, but I can't think of a better one), either right before or right after. But with my uncle's health, and knowing how much he wants to see us married, we decided to just do it now. So he saw us get legally married, and we got to check one thing off our wedding checklist. It was supposed to be just paperwork down at the court house and some vows....someone who wasn't either bride (uncle) wouldn't hear of it.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1336 on: February 20, 2014, 11:04:34 AM »

So we threw together an incredibly quick wedding. We'll still have our "real" wedding next year, but now the legal stuff is out of the way!

We did something similar - got married in Massachusetts, then had a ceremony/party with friends at home. We called it a Reaffirmation.  At the legal ceremony, we used the generic "promise to love, honor, etc." vows, but at home, we wrote our own. "I reaffirm my vows and promise that..."
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #1337 on: February 21, 2014, 10:29:09 AM »
Congratulations, Glitter!

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #1338 on: February 21, 2014, 12:20:39 PM »
Congrats, Glitter and Partner!    8)  Also, I think I love your great uncle.  I bet he has some amazing stories to tell about the years he has lived; I enjoy listening to older folks reminisce about times past.  (My 17 year old son claims I'm getting there, myself.  I seem to relate a lot of things happening now to "how things were" back in "my" day.)    ;D

As for V-Day, I gave Son a pack of Skittles and a Kit Kat bar, and then we watched Walking Dead together two nights later, as per tradition.  I still have all the cute little valentine cards he made me in elementary school, and this time of year, I like to take them out and look at them.  This year was a little difficult for him, as his first big romance ended not too terribly long ago, and although he has handled it with aplomb, I know he misses her. 

Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #1339 on: February 21, 2014, 05:51:10 PM »
I regularly walk past a Godiva store and VDay is hilarious! The line stretches out the door and nearly into the street!

See's Candies factory and factory store are very near my home. The line goes down the block!

Where's the factory?  I know of one of the main stores (Roscoe or Saticoy in Canoga Park?) but not the factory.

3431 S La Cienega Blvd between Jefferson and Exposition. Sorry, no factory tours. There's a 2nd factory in South San Francisco.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

White Lotus

« Reply #1340 on: February 22, 2014, 01:52:12 PM »
Thanks for the data, Art2k.  I know where I' going the next time I am in that neck of the woods!

SoCalVal

« Reply #1341 on: February 22, 2014, 02:48:12 PM »
I regularly walk past a Godiva store and VDay is hilarious! The line stretches out the door and nearly into the street!

See's Candies factory and factory store are very near my home. The line goes down the block!

Where's the factory?  I know of one of the main stores (Roscoe or Saticoy in Canoga Park?) but not the factory.

3431 S La Cienega Blvd between Jefferson and Exposition. Sorry, no factory tours. There's a 2nd factory in South San Francisco.

Wonderful -- that's one near me in SSF and one near where I grew up.  Guess I'll have to appease myself by buying lots of chocolate at the factory stores!  ;)

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1342 on: February 23, 2014, 07:50:59 AM »
I love this idea, and will steal it for next year!
then we um...well we got married. Not on V-day actually, but on Saturday. We got the license and whatnot on Friday, then had a very tiny wedding in my great uncle's backyard, officiated by a friend of ours who happens to live over there. We were just gonna do the court house deal (we'd have to do it later anyways, not legal in our state), but great uncle wouldn't hear of it, he wanted to see us married the right way! So we threw together an incredibly quick wedding. We'll still have our "real" wedding next year, but now the legal stuff is out of the way!

whoa! you just snuck that in there! wow! congratulations! what a wonderful story

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

klm75

« Reply #1343 on: February 23, 2014, 09:51:06 AM »
I love this idea, and will steal it for next year!
then we um...well we got married. Not on V-day actually, but on Saturday. We got the license and whatnot on Friday, then had a very tiny wedding in my great uncle's backyard, officiated by a friend of ours who happens to live over there. We were just gonna do the court house deal (we'd have to do it later anyways, not legal in our state), but great uncle wouldn't hear of it, he wanted to see us married the right way! So we threw together an incredibly quick wedding. We'll still have our "real" wedding next year, but now the legal stuff is out of the way!

whoa! you just snuck that in there! wow! congratulations! what a wonderful story

Congratulations Glitter!  Wishing you both many happy years :)

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #1344 on: February 25, 2014, 04:40:27 PM »
Parking my POD on 'Congratulations Glitter and Partner!' What a wonderful day!
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #1345 on: February 26, 2014, 12:57:57 PM »
Congratulations, Glitter and partner! 

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1346 on: February 26, 2014, 05:21:54 PM »
Thankfully, my former home town has taken a stand against one of it newer(awful) holiday traditions: http://www.centredaily.com/2014/02/25/4055913/most-downtown-state-college-taverns.html

Long story short, 7 years ago, St Patrick's Day fell over Penn State's Spring Break. Some students decided that, since they couldn't get stupid with their friends from college on the day itself, they'd make their own day, a "State Patty's Day" and get stupid then.

It got big, it got stupid, crazy amounts of non-locals/non-students were coming into town for it, a lot of stuff was getting broken and people were getting hospitalized/arrested, so the University decided last year to pay off the bars to not open.

Apparently it went well enough that they are doing it again this year. Hopefully they can put this stupid, even more made up than some holiday to bed for good.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #1347 on: February 26, 2014, 05:31:39 PM »
Someone was asking me what I was doing for St. Paddy's day. I said "Well it's on a Monday, so...nothing", might make some cupcakes with green frosting with Partner over the weekend for her to take to work. They countered with "But you're Irish!" which is true. Then I remembered what someone told me once and said "That's right, which means I don't need a special day to drink". Sure when it's fallen on a Friday or Saturday, party down. But Monday? Eh, I'll stay home. Green beer squicks me out anyways. I just drink whiskey.

Margo

« Reply #1348 on: February 27, 2014, 07:04:34 AM »
Congratulations, Glitter and MrsGlitter! (and add me to those who like your Great Uncle a lot!)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1349 on: February 27, 2014, 10:10:14 AM »
I will make Guinness chocolate cake, bangers and mash and enjoy a nice Irish beer at home without the dye!