Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 236906 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #1350 on: February 27, 2014, 11:00:28 AM »
I have no idea what's happening because Eunice and Steve are in conflict over possibly moving to Canada.  I haven't heard from her in three weeks so I don't know what is happening with them.

It took several years' effort to get him to agree to have the party on the weekend because having it on the 17th on a weeknight wasn't working out after many of the guests moved out of the neighborhood.

poundcake

« Reply #1351 on: February 27, 2014, 11:07:38 AM »
What fantastic news, Glitter! Congrats to you and the wife! *throwing rice*

Lynn2000

« Reply #1352 on: February 27, 2014, 03:13:49 PM »
Thankfully, my former home town has taken a stand against one of it newer(awful) holiday traditions: http://www.centredaily.com/2014/02/25/4055913/most-downtown-state-college-taverns.html

Long story short, 7 years ago, St Patrick's Day fell over Penn State's Spring Break. Some students decided that, since they couldn't get stupid with their friends from college on the day itself, they'd make their own day, a "State Patty's Day" and get stupid then.

It got big, it got stupid, crazy amounts of non-locals/non-students were coming into town for it, a lot of stuff was getting broken and people were getting hospitalized/arrested, so the University decided last year to pay off the bars to not open.

Apparently it went well enough that they are doing it again this year. Hopefully they can put this stupid, even more made up than some holiday to bed for good.

My college town has a similar manufactured drinking holiday which is coming up soon. My boss has already been complaining about it. Honestly, I rarely if ever see any evidence of it, even though I live and work on campus. However, the newspapers are full of stories about it. Sometimes I think the authorities end up hyping it more than anyone else, you know?
~Lynn2000

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1353 on: February 27, 2014, 04:50:51 PM »
Thankfully, my former home town has taken a stand against one of it newer(awful) holiday traditions: http://www.centredaily.com/2014/02/25/4055913/most-downtown-state-college-taverns.html

Long story short, 7 years ago, St Patrick's Day fell over Penn State's Spring Break. Some students decided that, since they couldn't get stupid with their friends from college on the day itself, they'd make their own day, a "State Patty's Day" and get stupid then.

It got big, it got stupid, crazy amounts of non-locals/non-students were coming into town for it, a lot of stuff was getting broken and people were getting hospitalized/arrested, so the University decided last year to pay off the bars to not open.

Apparently it went well enough that they are doing it again this year. Hopefully they can put this stupid, even more made up than some holiday to bed for good.

My college town has a similar manufactured drinking holiday which is coming up soon. My boss has already been complaining about it. Honestly, I rarely if ever see any evidence of it, even though I live and work on campus. However, the newspapers are full of stories about it. Sometimes I think the authorities end up hyping it more than anyone else, you know?

I know a state university that "cancelled" Halloween for several years for that reason.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #1354 on: February 27, 2014, 06:30:45 PM »
I got to spend one Saint Paddy's day in New Orleans.  We had forgotten what weekend it was, and had out of town visitors who had never been to NOLA, so off we went.  I didn't drink, but I had lots of fun watching people have a good time.    8)  My son and I ate our favorite New Orleans food while our guests got their drink on.  Normally, I don't do anything to celebrate the day.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical