News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 19, 2017, 08:16:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O of Going Away Parties  (Read 955 times)

gingerzing

S/O of Going Away Parties
« on: October 25, 2011, 01:39:03 PM »
Could have been a regular post, but I was reminded of the situation from the Going Away Parties VS Layoffs. 

Our office is fortunate that we have people who have been here for YEARS.  I have been here for 15 years and still am one of the middle of the road folks.  So since people often have their whole career here, we occasionally will have someone retire.
For retirees, often it is a cake and punch type thing.  Very similar to a long timer moving leaving company or for anniversary parties. Generally, it is funded by the VP of the department or tied to something else, but not too big of a deal since we are suppose to be good stewards of the funds.
 We have a VP retiring at the end of this month.  He has been a complete SS about the party.  And now, nothing that is planned for him would ever be good enough. He had wanted it to be a dinner at a very posh place in town.  (Think $50-60 steaks with sides and everything a'la cart.)  With only whom he invited...but wanted/demanded the office to pay for it.  errrr....no. 
I suggested to the head of his team that we do a late afternoon "cocktail party" with some heavy appetizers and drinks.  Except he doesn't drink (his right, but he is pretty uppity about it apparently.)

He waffled with his team so much between yes he wanted a party to no don't bother.  So now they aren't bothering.  Besides, as mentioned before, nothing would be good enough. 

Here's the fun.  My former boss worked with VP for many years and asked me several months ago to keep her in mind so she can come to the party.  Not unusal -occasionally happens even for going away parties -that former co-workers come celebrate.  However, there isn't to my knowledge going to be anything.  And basically it is because VP is acting spoilt, not that the team didn't want to do something. 
How would you phrase it gently to former boss? 

For the record, I do NOT plan on bringing it up until she emails me.  Not going down that bunny trail on a bet. 

doodlemor

Re: S/O of Going Away Parties
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 01:52:58 PM »
Good luck with your diplomacy here.  I would tell her that several plans had been suggested, but that unfortunately they all fell through. 

I agree with you about not going into details.  If she knows the man well enough to come to the party she may be able to read between the lines.

gingerzing

Re: S/O of Going Away Parties
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 02:32:02 PM »
Ooh, I like that whole plans falling through. That covers several bases without the gossip factor.  (not that she gossips...it's called networking.  LOL)

Also just found out that he told several people that he just didn't want anything (including two other VPs in front of the receptionist).  So we are following his wishes.