Author Topic: Jason Aldean's Error of Judgement  (Read 5795 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Jason Aldean's Error of Judgement
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 09:36:11 PM »
I think there are a couple reasons Kristen Stewart got the worst of it in her situation.  While the director might have more clout in Hollywood circles (I have no idea), she is the one who is known to to the average person.  Additionally, a lot of fans of the Twilight series were very invested in her relationship and maybe even mistook the real people for their fictional ideals.  When she didn't follow the novelized version of herself people felt betrayed.  The director did not have that sort of preconception out there so when he behaved badlly it was just him, not a beloved character.

As far as the Jason/Brittany situation, I don't know. They are both singers, but she was on American Idol, yes?  Once again people might feel more invested in her, thus more disappointed. I don't know if that is part of what is going on but it might be.  People look at ehr and think "I voted for her, I was rooting for her, I thought she deserved good things - and then she acts this way?!"

I do think women probably get more blame than men and to me that is actually a backhanded insult to men as a group.  As if they can't possibly fight off any female they get too close to because they are men and can't be counted on to show self-control or moral fiber.

As far as being publicly embarrassed - that is tricky.  Obviously threats are not to be tolerated, name calling is rude. On the other hand, when you are in a profession that depends on publicity and you do something that a lot of people find morally questionable then it seems a bit absurd to complain about public embarrassment whether you are an actor, politician, musician, etc.

The thing that gets me is that in some cases it is a big scandal. In other cases it is discussed as if the celeb in question is starring in a brand new love story.

What she said.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 10:48:58 PM »
From the little I've read, I don't think many fans are calling Mr. Aldean a stud. It soudns like he's getting lots of flak himself.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 12:47:12 AM »
To be fair to Mr. Aldean, he's keeping it quiet and working out with his family, rather than making it a big ordeal. He simply stated what happened, apologized (apology below, from his FB fan page), and is trying to be a grownup about this. I feel bad for both parties if it happened the way that Brittany.

Hey Guys – I wanted to talk to you directly, so you were hearing the truth from me and not just reading allegations made about my personal life on gossip web sites.
The truth is that I screwed up. I had too much to drink, let the party get out of hand and acted inappropriately at a bar. I left alone, caught the bus to our next show and that's the end of the story. I ultimately ended up embarrassing my family and myself. I'm not perfect, and I'm sorry for disappointing you guys. I really appreciate being able to work through this privately with my family and for all your continued support.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 09:36:21 AM »
I think part of the problem today is the ubiquity of twitter. I suspect some of the more naive fans feel that getting constant twitters ("I'm getting into a taxi!" "I'm having lunch at El Trendy!" "I just bought the cutest shoes!") from celebrities means that they actually have a relationship, or at least a vested interest, in their celebrity of choice. So, when their "BFF" lets them down in behaviour, they react in a very personally-insulted way.

A married man and a young woman did some "canoodling". This, by itself, may be considered reprehensible by many, but not uncommon enough to fuss about. However, when someone gets on the Fame Train, their publicity machine has a goal - make the public consider their every action significant in some way. If they behave badly, the public will respond negatively; this is the price of living one's life demanding the public eye be upon one.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 09:46:06 AM »

John Q Public is not actually allowed to threaten, at least not physical harm. This is a crime, and people sending her such threats can, if they are located, be charged with such. Name calling, however, is likely to fall under protected speech, as distasteful as it may be.

You seem to feel that it is excessive that they have even been "publicly embarrassed", and that their behaviour is at a level as losing their keys. Perhaps the people harassing Ms Kerr are also just "making mistakes". We shouldn't get too angry at them for doing so, right?

Oh no, I don't feel that the public embarrassment it is excessive at all, you reap what you sow. 

What shocks me is that there were threats to Brittany Kerr.  The derogatory name calling is not surprising, but threats of physical harm...that John Q Public threatens to physically harm you; Jason's wife yes, but some random stranger, that's not right. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 11:00:14 AM »
Unfortunately, there are a lot of irrational people on the internet. Hopefully, the ones who are threatening are merely talk, no action. But threats of harm go way beyond etiquette, into legal issues.

It's one more reason why being a celebrity is not all it's cracked up to be.

CluelessBride

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 12:05:12 PM »
I think Jason Aldean is an incredible idiot to think he could make out with someone in Hollywood of all places and not get caught. That's just asking for TMZ to catch you.

While I think that cheating is tacky, Brittany did not break any marriage vows. Jason certainly did. I think the ire should be reserved for him.

If Brittany believed he was single, then I agree she should not share the blame.  If she was aware he was married - and the photos I saw clearly showed a ring - she shares blame.

I don't know that him wearing a wedding ring is enough to transfer blame to her in my eyes.  Until I got married, I never really noticed if someone was wearing a ring.  Magically, since getting married (and wearing a ring myself) I do notice.  If she was coming onto him, he should have said, "I'm married/in a relationship/unavailable".  And THEN she should have backed off.  But I think it's just a bit much to except someone to be looking out for a wedding ring in a poorly lit bar after drinking alcohol.  So I think it's very possible that she did believe he was single.  It's flat not a woman (or a man's) responsibility to keep someone else's marriage vows. 

I've been in bars without DH and been hit on by men.  After politely telling them that I was married, every single one of them has backed off.  I certainly don't think they did anything wrong by not noticing my wedding ring.

That said, in the world of the public eye you never know how the opinions are going to fall.  It really depends on so many factors that its completely unpredictable.  So if you live in that world you'd better be either flawless or thick-skinned. 

I really do hope Jason and his family can work things out privately and that Brittany can get on with her life in a positive way. 

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:08:23 PM by CluelessBride »

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 01:41:43 PM »
My point was not that she should have noticed the ring - if she did not know he was married, she did not know.  My comment was that it did not appear that he was trying to hide the fact that he was married, for example, by failing to wear his ring.  I do not know what she knew.  I believe that IF she knew he was married, she shares blame.