General Etiquette > Etiquette of the Rich and Famous

Black Wedding Gowns From the Runway to the Aisle

(1/16) > >>

Deleted:
This isn't exactly etiquette of the Rich and Famous, so if it needs to be moved I understand.

There was this article, Black Wedding Gowns From the Runway to the Aisle, where it seems Vera Wang did a runway show with all black wedding dresses.

This selection is what I found interesting:

--- Quote ---The bride who chooses the black dress does not care about etiquette,” said Jung Lee, a founder of Fête, an event-planning company in Manhattan. Ms. Lee advises brides on the intricacies of everything from invitations to attire. “That’s not to say she doesn’t have manners,” she said, “but it’s certainly not etiquette. My advice is that she really think about it, and not just in the short term. Think how the pictures would look 10, 20 years from now. A bride in black will draw more attention than one in white or ivory. You have to be prepared for that.

--- End quote ---

Bibliophile:
I think the bride can still care about the IMPORTANT etiquette and still wear a trendy gown.   There are some bits of etiquette that I'm all for ignoring - the dress color being one of those - not my hill to die on. 

RainhaDoTexugo:
I really don't see what the color of a wedding dress has to do with etiquette.  It's a (recent) tradition, sure, but it's not a matter for etiquette.  Invitations, place settings, showers, ceremony seating, those are all matters for etiquette.  Black wedding dresses are just fashion choices.  Just like it's got nothing to do with etiquette if a bride wears a pink dress or a short dress or even puts on shorts and a tshirt to get married at the courthouse.

Anyway, two of the dresses they show are hardly black.  They're more brown, if you ask me.

ETA:  Jung Lee might be surprised in 20 years or so when brides are wearing all kinds of colors on their wedding days.  There's a lot more variety now than there was when I was a kid.  In another 20 years, white wedding dresses may well be seen as old fashioned and ridiculously frumpy.

Hushabye:
Vera's dresses this season range from tans to blacks, with a pretty wide range of browns in between.  As for the etiquette issue, the writer has a nice, big, spikey stick inserted somewhere to have written that drivel.  Recent tradition dictates that a bride in Western society wears white; etiquette does not.  Someone needs to go back to etiquette school.

567Kate:

--- Quote from: RainhaDoTexugo on October 25, 2011, 05:20:15 PM ---I really don't see what the color of a wedding dress has to do with etiquette.  It's a (recent) tradition, sure, but it's not a matter for etiquette.  Invitations, place settings, showers, ceremony seating, those are all matters for etiquette.  Black wedding dresses are just fashion choices.  Just like it's got nothing to do with etiquette if a bride wears a pink dress or a short dress or even puts on shorts and a tshirt to get married at the courthouse.

Anyway, two of the dresses they show are hardly black.  They're more brown, if you ask me.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'm not clear either that a black wedding dress breaks any etiquette rules. There's a superstition against it, I think, but that's not the same thing. The only etiquette rule involving black attire is that guests should not show up appearing to be in mourning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version