Author Topic: Black Wedding Gowns From the Runway to the Aisle  (Read 32556 times)

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
Re: Black Wedding Gowns From the Runway to the Aisle
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 11:32:52 PM »
I can see how this could be perceived as an etiquette faux pas. It's still believed, by many people, that even wearing black to a wedding, as a guest, could be seen as in poor etiquette, so I'm sure that a bride wearing a black dress would make people pass outs in some parts of the States.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 11:52:27 PM »
I love that black is now being shown for weddings, so much more practical than most gowns.

kglory

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 02:35:01 AM »
A black wedding dress reminds me of Laura Ingalls Wilder.  Her mother, who was always concerned about being correct and ladylike, expressed concern about superstition but didn't say a word about black breaking any etiquette rules.

That's what I thought of too!

Personally, I would want a white wedding dress.  Any other gown could be for any other day -- a white bridal gown seems special, like wedding only.  That said, if someone wants to wear red or black or any other color, more power to them.  I wouldn't think they had less etiquette for doing so.

The first gown (on the left) is especially gorgeous, IMO.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 03:02:51 AM »
Etiquette?  Etiquette is treating your guests well, not the color of your dress.  Women wear the little black dress to feel glamorous and sexy to festive occasions and I see nothing wrong with a black wedding dress.

A black wedding dress reminds me of Laura Ingalls Wilder.  Her mother, who was always concerned about being correct and ladylike, expressed concern about superstition but didn't say a word about black breaking any etiquette rules.

Yep, Ma said "Married in black, wish yourself back" but the black dress was the only one finished and there was no time to finish off the white dress before Almanzo's family arrived to create the wedding from hell that they were trying to avoid, so the black dress was the nicest (and brand new!) dress she had to wear for the ceremony.  They did have a lot of hardships, but they also had a long and happy marriage.

I considered a different coloured dress because I don't like conforming to "new" traditions just for the sake of it.  But the thing is, white is a colour that we basically never wear these days, so wearing it for a wedding dress makes it feel special.  I wore ivory as it suited me better, but it did feel very different as I can wear a beautiful blue, red or black dress to any occasion.   I agree that etiquette has nothing to do with dress colour.  I also agree with the expert quoted that brides should consider how they will feel longterm and in the bigger picture - it's not just about fashion and what looks hot on the day.

"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 01:05:10 PM »
I need to do some searching to confirm this, but it's my understanding that other cultures use white for mourning and other colors for wedding. Assuming Vera Wang designs for the world - and not just the Unites States - I fail to see how black wedding dresses are for the bride that does not care about etiquette.

Also, how on earth is the color of the dress tied to etiquette? IIRC, white wedding dresses became fashionable about 100 years ago.

Yup, that was one of the ironies of Marie Antoinette's execution that her jailers refused to let her wear black widows' weeds & made her wear white ... not remembering that Queens of France traditionally wore white when in mourning. And I believe that the whole white wedding dress didn't come into popularity until Queen Victoria wore one in the 1830's. [/threadjack]

Nanny Ogg

• The Shrinking Lady!
    • For Your Paws
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 01:34:04 PM »
Cripes! That dress top left in the article is simply stunning! If I hadn't already got *my* dress (and had a lower BMI and higher overdraft limit) I'd soooo want that dress. As it happens, mine is ivory... I'm not fussed by the colour though really, I just picked White because it fits my winter wonderland theme!

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 02:00:58 PM »
Etiquette?  Etiquette is treating your guests well, not the color of your dress.  Women wear the little black dress to feel glamorous and sexy to festive occasions and I see nothing wrong with a black wedding dress.

IIRC, it was because Laura and Almanzo married on short notice and the nicest dress she had was black.  The tradition at the time was the wear the nicest dress you had, whether it was a new dress or one you already owned. 
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »
I wore a black dress to my wedding two years ago.  Always nice to know that I am ahead of the fashion curve.   8)

silvercelt

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 06:27:20 PM »
My grandmother (who is 92 and got married when in her 20's) wore a black dress for her wedding. I'll have to let her know that she was approx 70 years ahead of the trend, and also not concerned with etiquette at all.

I'm sure she and Grandpa will be tickled.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 06:38:19 PM »
My grandmother (who is 92 and got married when in her 20's) wore a black dress for her wedding. I'll have to let her know that she was approx 70 years ahead of the trend, and also not concerned with etiquette at all.

I'm sure she and Grandpa will be tickled.

Oh, how sweet!  That gave me a smile :)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 06:38:19 PM »
I haven't read the article, but I really don't think Jung Lee should be considered an etiquette source.  ::)  Just because she plans expensive weddings doesn't mean she knows much about etiquette. I've seen her on TV and she doesn't always follow the rules.
The status is not quo!

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 12:17:49 PM »
I plan on wearing a red gown.  I am not Chinese.  I just love red and look horrid in white.  I have never dreamed of wearing a big white dress, or even the big wedding, but I've known since I was a tween I would someday wear a red gown to get married in.

I wore a red dress when I married DH. The first time I got married, I really wanted a non-traditional dress, something vintage, in green or blue, but my mother pitched such a fit I regretfully wore white. The next time, six years older and stronger of spine, I wore a beautiful red ballgown. And nobody said nothin'  >:D

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 12:44:18 PM »
Until comapratively recently, most brides wore their best dress to get married in- no matter what colour it was. If she was lucky it was a new dress. The whole "White for weddings" thing really only started with the wedding of Queen Victoria to Prince Albert, and filtered down from there.

My MIL got married in a nice black suit in the late fifties- at least she was able to wear it again.
NE England

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 01:10:06 PM »
The discussion of red wedding dresses made me think of this line from the "Golden Girls":

Blanche: [Blanche explaining why she worn red at her wedding instead of white] Oh please, it's bad enough hearing all those snickers as you walk down the aisle, but me in white, even I couldn't keep a straight face. 

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 01:19:24 PM »
The discussion of red wedding dresses made me think of this line from the "Golden Girls":

Blanche: [Blanche explaining why she worn red at her wedding instead of white] Oh please, it's bad enough hearing all those snickers as you walk down the aisle, but me in white, even I couldn't keep a straight face.

*LOL* I love Blanche. (She tried to tell George he was her first, but he didn't believe her. She was indignant. Dorothy: "But George wasn't your first." Blanche: "Well, he didn't know that!")
The status is not quo!